Department of Dental Hygiene, Daejeon Health Institute of Technology1
Objectives: The objective of this study is to investigate the relationship among professional self-concept, self-esteem and job satisfaction in the clinical dental hygienists and provide the basic data for the effective management of clinical dental hygienists. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was filled out by 250 clinical dental hygienists in Seoul, Gyeonggi, Chungcheong, Jeolla, and Gyeongsang Provinces from February 1 to March 30, 2017. Data were analyzed using IMB SPSS/WIN 22.0 program. Professional self-concept, self- esteem and job satisfaction according to the general characteristics and job characteristics were analzyed by independent t-test, one way ANOVA and Tukey. The relationship among professional self-concept, self- esteem and job satisfaction was found by Pearson’s correlation. Multiple regression analysis was used to find out the relationship among professional self-concept, self-esteem and job satisfaction in the clinical dental hygienist. The significance level was a=0.05. Results: Clinical dental hygienist’s professional self-concept was 3.76 points, self-esteem was 3.08 points and job satisfaction was 3.35 points. In general characteristics, professional self-concept showed the significant differences by age (p=0.043), marital status (p=0.005), level of education (p=0.001), duration of clinical career (p=0.003) and economic level (p=0.001). Job satisfaction showed the significant differences by age (p=0.019) and level of education (p=0.024). In job related characteristic, professional self-concept showed the significant differences by working area (p=0.001), working intensity (p=0.011) and position (p=0.001), while job satisfaction showed the significant differences by working area (p=0.014) and working intensity (p=0.001). Influencing factors in the job satisfaction in the clinical dental hygienists were age, working intensity, self-esteem, and professional self-concept. The explanatory of the model was 29.0%. Conclusions: Professional self-concept, self-esteem and job satisfaction in the clinical dental hygienists are related. To improve job satisfaction of the clinical dental hygienists, program development and institutional support to improve self-esteem and professional self-concept are needed.
1. Korean dental hygienists association. Dental hygienists introduce[Internet]. [cited 2016 Oct 02]. Available from: http://www.kdha.or.kr/introduce/dentalhygienist.aspx#introduce
2. Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. Medical examination and evaluation guides. Seoul: Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service; 2015: 16.
3. Choi EY, Kim GH. A study on the professional self-concept, self-efficacy and job satisfaction of nephrology nurses. Korean J Adult Nurs 2000;12(3):345-55.
4. Ahn SY, Oh BK, Hwang SH, Yoo YS, Kim SK, Kang BW, et al. Some dental hygienist by career expectations regarding clinical work done in the field of business studies. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(4):543-53.
5. Kang YJ. A study on the professional self-concept of dental hygiene students and their satis-faction Level with clinical practice. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009;9(1):1-17.
6. Kim KS, Yu MS. A study of the relation between the professional self-concept and the practice performance as dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2004;4(3):111-5.
7. Lee HK, Kim NS. The effects of self-esteem on job-seeking efficacy of dental hygiene stu-dents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(2):327-34.
8. Kim JS, Won YS, Park SY. A study on self-esteem and turnover intention according to dental hygienists in part of Jeonbuk area. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(2):307-15.
9. Jang KA, Lee HS. Factors affecting the self esteem of a convergence dental hygienist. J Korea Conver Soc 2015;6(4):177-86. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.177.
10. Park HN. A study on the changing in self-esteem and depression of nursing college students after voluntary program. J Korea Comm Health Nurs 2000;14(2):304-17.
11. Choi J, Park HJ. Professional self-concept, self-efficacy and job satisfaction of clinical nurse in schoolwork. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2009;15(1):37-44.
12. Shim HS, Lee HN. A study on factors affecting the job satisfaction of dental hygienists in part areas. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(4):555-65.
13. Ryu HG. Relationship between happiness and job satisfaction of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2017;17(2):168-74. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.2.168
14. Kim YS, Park HS. A study on work environment and job satisfaction hygienists in Daegu and Gyengsangbukdo. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(6):600-6.
15. Yoon NN, Lee JY, Yu BC. The correlations between psychological empowerment, leader- member exchange (LMX) and job satisfaction in dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(3):405-18. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.03.405
16. Lee SS. Professionalism and job satisfaction in dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(4):535-42. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.535
17. Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 1988: 407.
18. Kang HC, Yeon KP, Han ST. A reviewon the use of effect size in nuring research. J Korean Acad Nurs 2015;45(5):641-9. https://doi.org/10.4040/jksn.2015.45.5.641
19. Arthur D. Measurement of the professional self-concept of nurses: developing a measurement instrument. Nurse Education Today 1995;15(5):328-35.
20. Noh CH, Sohng KY. Survey on the relationship self-esteem and professional self-concept of nurses. J Korean Acad Fund Nurs 1997;4(1):61-71.
21. Rosenberg M. Which significant other? Am Behav Sci 1973;16(6):829-60.
22. Jeon BJ. Self-esteem: A test of its measurability. Yonsei Nonchong 1974;11(1):109-29.
23. Jung ES. Effects of clinical nurses job stress and emotional labor on job satisfaction[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Catholic, 2014.
24. Kwon YM, Yeun EJ. A correlation study on nursing professional values, department satis-faction, sociality, self-esteem among nursing students. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2007;13 (3):285-92.
25. Lee SH. Study on the relationship between professional self-concept, self-efficacy and job satis-faction in clinical nurses. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2008;20(1):10-20.
26. Min HH, Jeon JH, Kim YS. Influencing factors of turnover intention in the clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(5):831-9.