Department of Dental Hygiene, Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Hanseo University2
Objectives: The aims of this study were to analyze the job stress of clinical hygienists according to their positional system and to confirm its relevance. Methods: Seven hundred seventy six clinical dental hygienists participated in this survey. The questionnaire items consisted of general characteristics, working environment, and job stress. The data analysis was performed using IBM SPSS statistics ver.23.0 software. Results: Among the job stresses, the stress on the job demands was the highest with 63.4 points, and the stress on interpersonal conflict was the lowest with 34.6 points. The total score of job stress was the highest in the 26-30 year-old age group, and major stress factors in this group were job insecurity, organizational system, and lack of reward. Team members were more stressful about insufficient job control, organizational system, and lack of reward than team managers, while team managers were more likely to score interpersonal conflict. The dental hygienists in the hospitals that did not have the positional system got more stressed in the insufficient job control, organizational system, and lack of reward area. Conclusions: The presence of positional system was related to job demand, insufficient job control, organizational system, and lack of reward. Structural efforts such as establishing a proper positional system in dental clinics will be needed to control job stress in the clinical dental hygienists.
1. Kim JH, Hyun MY, Kim SY. Job stress, depression, social support, and coping strategies of clinical nurses. Korean J Occup Health Nurs 2009;18(2):219-31.
2. Jeong SH, Seo YK, Son EY, Choi YH, Song KB. Analysis of job satisfaction and related factors of dental auxiliaries. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2005;29(3):281-92.
3. Hong SM, Kim HK, Ahn YS. A study on the occupational stress, health status and somatization for dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(3):295-302.
4. Jung YM, Jang HK. Research on job stress of hospital workers in Busan. J Contents Asso-ciation 2010;10(5):242-51.
5. Park SA, Kim JH. Job stress and social support according to the types of behavior pattern: a study of staff nurses in a general hospital. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2001;7(2):349-549.
6. Chandola T, Britton A, Brunner E, Hemingway H, Malik M, Kumari M, et al. Work stress and coronary heart disease: what are the mechanisms? Eur Heart J 2008;29:640-8.
7. Koh SB, Chang SJ, Park JK, Park JH, Son DK, Hyun SJ, et al. Occupational stress and risk factors for cardiovascular diseases. Ann Occup Environ Med 2005;17(3):186-98.
8. Dahlgren A, Kecklund G, Åkerstedt T. Different levels of work-related stress and the effects on sleep, fatigue and cortisol. Scand J Work Environ Health 2005;31(4):277-85.
9. Lee YS, Jang JH, Moon AE. The effects of emotional labor and stress on job satisfaction in oral health professional. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(5):823-31.
10. Kim BR, Park YS. The moderating effect of teachers’ stress management in relation to work environment with job engagement and burnout respectively. Korean J Str Res 2012;20(3): 199-208.
11. Kim BJ. A study on the nursing organizational change and outcome in a general hospital. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2005;11(2):1-13.
12. Kim JH. A study on the job stress factors of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8(4):337-45.
13. Jung JO, Song KS. A study on job stress and job satisfaction of dental hygienists working in dental clinics. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8(4):305-12.
14. Won YS, Oh HN. The effects of job stress and psychosocial stress among dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(5):679-87.
15. Chang SJ, Kang DM, Kang MK, Koh SB, Kim SA, Kim SY, et al. Standardization of job stress measurement scale for Korean employees: The 2nd year project. Seoul: Occupational Safety & Health Research Institute 2004: 30-2, 34-5, 42-50, 131-6.
16. Lee SY, Yu BC. Relationship between occupational stress and work-related factors in dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(6):553-62.
17. Lee JH, Kim JH. Analysis of correlation between dental hygienist’s job stress and social psychological Stress. J Contents Association 2012;12(1):401-8.