Department of Dental Hygiene, Shin-sung University1
Department of Preventive Medicine, Dan-kook University, College of Medicine2
Objectives: This study aims to alleviate dental hygienists’ job stress caused by emotional labor, lower their turnover rate, improve the working environment, and offer better quality of services by understanding correlations among emotional labor, job characteristics, job stress, and turnover intention. Methods: A survey was conducted in the subjects with dental hygienists who were working at general hospitals, dental university hospitals, and private dental clinics located in Seoul, Gyeonggi, and Chungnam by the convenience sampling method from June 1 through 30, 2017, and the collected data were analyzed using by SPSS Windows Ver. 22.0 (IBM CO, Armonk, NY, USA) and AMOS 21. As the statistical analysis methods, convergent validity test, structural equation model analysis and model goodness of fit were conducted using independent samples t-test, one-way ANOVA, path analysis, and confirmatory factor analysis. Results: It turned out that the more dental hygienists’ deep acting of emotional labor and the more their workload of job characteristics, the higher their job stress got, and that the higher their job stress, the higher their turnover intention got. Conclusions: As a method of lowering dental hygienists’ turnover intention, they may resolve emotional disharmony with their own problem-solving method, but it is necessary to develop and support organizational culture for the improvement of working environment. Dental hygienists’ organizations should implement the measures to minimize their turnover rate and job stress level by allocating appropriate workload.
1. Statistics Korea. Korean Statistical Information Service (KOSIS), StatisticsDB[Internet].[cited 2017 August 16]. Available from: http://www.kosis.kr
2. Yoon SU, Kim JS. Relations between emotional labor and job stress among some dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(2):179-88.
3. Jung EK. Relationship between emotional labor and burnout among dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(1):53-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.01.53
4. Gerge JM. The role of personality in organizational life: issues and evidence. J Occup Med 1992;18:185-213.
5. Han JW. The effects of personality and emotional labor stress on job satisfaction. J Secretarial Studies 2005;14(1):145-67.
6. Hochschild AR. Emotional work, feeling rules and social structure. J American Sci 1979; 85(3):551-75.
7. Kim HC, Keun KS, Koh DH, Leem JH, Park SG, Shin JY, et al. The relationship between job stress and psychosocial stress among nurses at a university hospital. Korean J Occup Environ Med 2006;18(1):25-34.
8. Choi HS, Lim HC, Jeong MG. The determinants of employes` emotional labor in call centers. Korean Corporation Management Association 2008;15(2):53-68.
9. Lee YS, Jong JH, Moon AE. The effects of emotional labor and stress on job satisfaction in oral health professional. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(5):823-31.
10. Korea system[Internet].Google;[cited 2017 August 5]. Available from: http://www.keis.or.kr
11. Freeman R, Main JR, Burke FJ. Occupational stress and dentistry: theory and practice. Part I. Recognition. Br Dent J 1995;178(6):214-7.
12. Yoon SU, Nam IS. Relations between emotional labor and sleep health according to the perso-nality types of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(3):243-9.
13. Jeong SB, Choi EM, Choi JS. The effects of emotional labor on burnout, turnover intention, and job satisfaction among clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2014;38 (1):50-8. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2014.38.1.50
14. Jeong KY, Han OS. A study on emotional labor, emotional burnout, turnover Intention of dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(3):280-6. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs. 2015.15.3. 280
15. Choi MS, Ji DH. The comparative study on changes in job satisfaction and turnover intention according to the convergence mediating factors and the level of emotional labor in dental hygienists. J Korea Converg Sci 2015;6(6):27-34. https://doi.org/10.15207/ JKCS.2015.6.6.027
16. Choi HJ, Bang HJ, Chung EY, Seo YJ. Factors that affect the level of emotional labor in dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14(3):295-301.
17. Lee MJ, Kim YN, Lee SY. A study on factors affecting emotional labor of clinical dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(2):113-8. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.2.113
18. Kim SJ. Job characteristics and job stress level of female emotional labor workers based on occupational categories[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewha Womans, 2014.
19. Pugliesi K. The consequences of emotional labor: Effects on work stress, Job satisfaction, and well-being. Motiv Emot 1999;23:125-54.
20. Yoon J, Lim J. Organizational support in the workplace: The case of Korean hospital emplo-yees. Human Relations 1999;52:923-45.
21. Breaugh JA. The measurement of work autonomy. Human Relations 1985;38:551-70.
22. Lee BH, Kim JS. Moderating effects of internal marketing on the relationship between job stress and turnover intention among dental hygienists. J Korea Converg Sci 2016;7(5):79-87. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.079
23. Grandey AA. Emotion regulation in the workplace: new way to conceptualize emotional labor. J Occup Health Psychol 2000;5:95-10.
24. Cote S, Morgan LM. A longitudinal analysis of the association between emotional regulation, job satisfaction, and intentions to quit. J Organ Behav 2002;23:947-62.
25. Ashforth BE, Humphrey RH. Emotional labor in service roles: the influence of identity. The Acad Manage Rev 1993;18(1):88-115.
26. Hong JY. Development and validation of the emotional labor scale for nurses[Doctoral dis-sertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewha Womans, 2016.
27. Min HH, Jeon JH, Kim YS. Influencing factors of turnover intention in the clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(5):831-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15. 05.831
28. Ji MG. The effect of turnover intention on the job stress, burn out and organizational com-mitment - focused on new dental hygienists. Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Asso-ciation 2016;10(6):379-87.
29. Han SY, Cho YC. Covariance structure analysis on the impact of job stress, fatigue symptoms and job satisfaction on turnover intention among dental hygienists. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society 2016;17(7):629-40. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS. 2016.17.7.629