Departments of Dental Hygiene, Dongeui University1
Objectives: Despite a rise of an interest in tooth whitening, diverse problems are being caused in case of hydrogen peroxide that is being used as a tooth bleaching agent. Thus, the aim was to examine tooth whitening effectiveness using natural products as a plan for supplementing this. Methods: As a result of having measured a tooth color through using VITA Easyshade V after having developed toothpaste with the application of extracts such as Citrus Peels, Mulberry (Morus alba L.) Root Bark, strawberry, and lemon, and then having used it for 10 weeks, they are as follows. Both upper and lower 6 anteriors mostly got brighter. Results: A statistically significant difference was shown especially in the right canine (p=0.015), in the right central incisor (p=0.007), and in the left central incisor (p<0.001). In consequence of having measured a color change, the tooth got brighter gradually in the higher extract content and in the lengthier use time. In case of canine, it got less bright compared to other teeth. In the outcome of evaluating sensuality, most of the questions were indicated to be high in case of using a whitening toothpaste for 10 weeks. But in what “there is no stickiness in the mouth, the stickiness was more felt in the use up to 5 weeks, but was improved in 10 weeks. Conclusions: The bleaching effectiveness was proved by developing a toothpaste with the application of natural extracts. A short-term effect cannot be seen like a whitening agent of using hydrogen peroxide. But there is a continuous effect in consideration of tooth-brushing more than 3 times a day.
1. Park BK. The effect of acne skin on depression and self-esteem[Doctoral dissertation]. Busan: Univ. of Kosin, 2009.
2. Shin HY. Survey on preference and satisfaction of teeth whitening focused on the case of one day whitening procedure[Master’s thesis]. Cheonan: Univ. of Dankook, 2010.
3. Lee KH, Park CH, Kim SK. Awareness and satisfaction on tooth whitening. J. Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(4):605-13. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.605
4. Shin BG, Yang SE. The evaluation of clinical efficacy and longevity of home bleaching without combined application of in-office bleaching. Korean Acad Conserv Dent 2010;35(5): 387-94.
5. Chapple JA. Restoring discolored teeth to normal. Dent Cosmos 1877:19:449.
6. Ronald EG, David AG. Translation of complete dental bleaching. Quintessence Pub 1995: 3-12.
7. Alqahtani MQ. Tooth-bleaching procedures and their controversial effects: A literature review. Saudi Dent J 2014;26(2):33-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sdentj.2014.02.002
8. Ghassemi A, Vorwerk L, Hooper W, Cirigliano A, Desciscio P, Nathoo S. Extrinsic stain removal effectiveness of a new whitening dentifrice. J Clin Dent 2015;26(3):72-5.
9. Karadas M, Duymus ZY. In vitro evaluation of the efficacy of different over the counter products on tooth whitening. Btaz Dent J 2015;26(4):373-7. https://doi.org/10.1590/0103- 64402013x0111
10. Karadas M, Hatipoglu O. Efficacy of mouthwashes containing hydrogen peroxide on tooth whitening. Sci World J 2015:1-6. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/961403
11. Woo GJ, Kim EK, Jeong SH, Song KB, Goo HJ, Jeon ES, et al. Comparison of the whitening effect of toothpastes containing 0.25% hydroxyapatite and 0.75% hydrogen peroxide. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2014;38(1):3-9. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2014.38.1.3
12. Min JH. The side effect of tooth bleaching and the solution method. J Health Medi Sci 2017; 5(2):23-37.
13. Do YM. Magnoliae Cortex, Centella asiatica and Zea Mays L. Contained dentifrice according to the phase influence to the oral environment[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. Dankook, 2017.
14. Kim JH, Chang YS, Shin SC, Kim BJ, Ahn JH. The effects of dentifrice containing sodium bicarbonate and triclosan on oral malodor. Int Clin Prev Dent 2011;7(1):41-9. https://doi. org/10.1007/s00784-002-0152-9
15. Ma DS, Park DY, Jung SH. Effect of the dentifrice containing hydroxyapatite, sodium pyrophosphate and carbamide peroxide on the reductions of gingivitis the change of micro hardness and brightness on tooth enamel. J Korea Acad Dent Health 1998;22(1):1-11.
16. Kim YS, Mun YH, Kim SH, Cho JW. Correlation co-efficient between dental plaque and halitosis. Int Dent J 2009;5(4):241-9.
17. Ahn KS. In vivo test of tooth whitening toothpastes including 0.375%, 0.75% HO [Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyunghee, 2008.
18. Gong MJ, Kim SW, Kim SJ, Ahn HJ, Chae WR, Hong SJ, Nam SH. Whitening effect with fruit and whitening toothpaste. J Korea Convergence Soci 2017;8(9):127-33. https://doi.org/ 10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.9.127
19. Lee JH. Extracted teeth whitening using natural liquid fruit[Master’s thesis]. Seosan: Univ. of Hanseo, 2016.
20. Lee DH, Chang CH. A study on the opinions about the field of aesthetic surgery: survey results. Arch plast surg 1994;21(6):1138-47.
21. Kim HY, Nam SH, Choi JO, Kwun HS, Jeong MA. An evaluation of whitening effect and microhardness on the enamel surface by white toothpaste. Korea Contents Soci 1994;13(10): 427-33.
22. Thomas A, Doreen V, Ammette W, Rengin A, Herbert B. Subsurface microhardness of enamel and dentin after different external bleaching procedures. Am J Dent 2005;18(1):8-12.
23. Cavalli V, Arrais CA, Giannini M, Ambrosano GM. High-concentrated carbamide peroxide bleaching agents effects on enamel surface. J Oral Rehabil 2004;.31(2):155-9.
24. Nam SH, Choi JO. Efficacy and evaluation of tooth stain with various pH beverages following whitening dentifrice. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013;13(2):191-6.
25. Claydon NCA, Moran J, Bosma ML, Shirodaria S, Addy M, Newcombe R. Clinical study to compare the effectiveness of a test whitening toothpaste with a commercial whitening toothpaste at inhibiting dental stain. J Clinical Perio 2004;31(12):1088-91.
26. Ahn JH, Kim JH, Kim JH. Tooth whitening maintenance efficacy of dentifrices containing several active ingredients in vitro and in vivo. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(2):325-32. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.02.325