Department of Dental Hygiene, Daegu Health College1
Objectives: This study aims to investigate degree of scaling fear (Fear when scaling: FWS, Fear from dental hygienist unbelief: FFDHU, and Fear after scaling: FAS) in college students. Methods: 113 students were recruited for the study in Daegu Health College between March and June of 2017. Frequency table of general characteristics was generated, and then the t-test and ANOVA (scheffes's post hoct) were used to analyze the differences between scaling fear and two or three groups of variables. Results: Mean scores of scaling fear in 113 students were 2.24 (FWS), 1.76 (FFDHU), and 1.76 (FAS). Score 2.48 of female's scaling fear (FWS) was significantly higher than men's 2.02 (p<0.05). Smokers who have smoked less than 3 years (2.56) (FWS) were lower than those who have smoked over 3 years (1.55) (p<0.01). Score of students want the explanation of scaling when scaling (1.94) (FWS) were significantly higher than those who does not (1.59) (p<0.05). Conclusions: The findings of this study showed that there were gender and smoking periods when scaling to effect a score of scaling fear.
1. Sullivan MJ, Neish NR. Catastrophizing, anxiety and pain during dental hygiene treatment. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1998;26(3):344-9.
2. Cho MS, Lee SK. Development of measurement scale for Korean scaling fear-1.0 and related factors. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(3):327-38.
3. De Jongh A, Stouthard MEA. Anxiety about dental hygienist treatment. Commun Dent Oral Epidemiol 1993;21(2):91-5.
4. Cho MS, Lee HS. Dental hygiene fear (DHF) and related factors in young scaling patients. J Korean Soc Hyg Sci 2008;14(2):127-35.
5. Kim JY. Relationship between dental fear and beliefs toward dental personnels among middle school children. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007;31(3):407-15.
6. Cho MS, Yi SJ. Development of measurement scale for korean scaling fear-1.1. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(4):675-84.
7. Cho MS. Validity and reliability on dental hygiene fears survey (DHFS) in dental hygiene patients. J Korean Soc Hyg Sci 2007;13(2):65-73.
8. Kim MJ. Scaling fear and its related factors among adults[Master’s thesis]. Busan: Univ. of Inje, 2014.
9. Cho MS. Dental hygiene treatment fear, anxiety, and related factors in dental patients. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2006;6(4):419-36.
10. Cho MS. Korean scaling fear (KSF-1.1) and related factors in scaling patients. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(6):977-85. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.977
11. Jin SH. Fear of scaling and its related factors[Master’s thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Kyungpook National, 2011.
12. Liddell A, Locker D. Gender and age differences in attitudes to dental pain and dental control. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1997;25(3):314-8.
13. Holtzman J, Berg R, Mann J, Berkey D. The relationship of age and gender to fear and anxiety response to dental care. Spec Care Dentist 1997;17(2):82-7.
14. Kim JY, Hong SS, Jeong SH, Choi YH, Song KB. Analysis of the related factors, validity of CFSS-DS for dental fear among elementary school students in Daegu city. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2005;29(2):131-40.