Department of Dental Hygiene, Kwangju Women’s University1
Objectives: The purpose of the study was to investigate factors affecting the awareness of internet ethics and intention to practice internet ethics in dental hygiene students. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 254 dental hygiene students in the Jeonnam area from September 1 to 22, 2017. The data were analyzed by exploratory factor analysis, Pearson’s correlation analysis and multiple regression analysis using the SPSS 12.0 program. Results: Factors affecting the awareness of internet ethics were personal information sensitivity (=0.242, p<0.01) and ethical identity(=0.185, p<0.05) (Adjusted R2=0.143). The factor related with intention to practice internet ethics was personal information sensitivity (=0.464, p<0.001) (Adjusted R2=0.212). Conclusions: To improve the awareness of internet ethics and intention to practice internet ethics in dental hygiene students, it is necessary to promote internet ethics education in as a part of curriculum and develop internet ethics education’s program to enhance personal information sensitivity and ethical identity.
1. Lee WH. An analysis of nursing ethics education and research. J Nursing Query 2005; 13(1):24-34.
2. Lee KJ, Kim MJ. Was it diverse reality ethics and internet ethics? Commu Korean Instit Inform Sci Eng 2012;30(10):9-14.
3. Lee DS, Kim HS, Kim EH. An analysis on the addiction to the internet environment of adolescents with the structural equation modeling. J Korea Soc Computer Inform 2009;14(3):249-57.
4. Lee SJ, Hong SH, Park JK. The study on the personal and social influence on Internet addiction among adolescents. Korean J Educ Psycho 2005;19(4):1179-97.
5. Han JT. A study on ethical education of internet for undergraduate students in the field of nursing and healthcare science. J Korean Assoc Computer Educ 2012;suppl 16(2):237-41.
6. Kang DJ, Jun SY. Mediating effect of self-control in the relationship between internet addiction and internet ethics awareness in healthcare-related college students. J Korean Data Inform Sci Soc 2017;28(2):261-70.
7. Oh EJ. Exploring the information ethics and plagiarism of university students. Int J Creat Problem Solv 2013;9:163-84.
8. Chu BW. One line moral disengagement and the tasks of internet ethics education. Korean Assoc Ethics 2012;87:119-41.
9. The committee on protection of personal information. 2015 survey on protective of personal information. Seoul: National Information Society Agency; 2016: 320-35.
10. Kang DJ, Jun SY. Mediating effect of self-control in the relationship between internet addiction and internet ethics awareness in healthcare-related college students. J Korean Data Inform Sci Soc 2017;28(2):261-70.
11. Yun JH, Son YH, Lim JS, Jung WY. Scope of personal information. Seoul: Personal Information Protection Commission; 2014: 2-22.
12. http://www.pipc.go.kr. Personal Information Protection Commission[Internet][cited 2017 September 29]. Available from: http://www.pipc.go.kr/cmt/not/ntc/selectBoardList.do?bbsId= BBSMSTR_ 000000000087
13. Goo BH, Choi MJ. A study about the influence of self-characteristics and personal relationship characteristics on the internet addiction & internet ethics. J Decision Sci 2006;14(1):53-66.
14. Kim HS. Organic relevance between vocational ethics and internet ethics: analysing current status of internet ethics education. J Moral Ethics Educ 2013;38:275-303.
15. Park HS, Kim SH. An analysis of influence factors on awareness of the internet ethics and intention to internet ethics practice: The moderating effect of ego strength. Asia-Pacific J Business Commerce 2014;6(1):31-52.
16. Goo BH, Choi MJ. Factors influencing internet addiction and information ethics: Centering on self characteristics and cognitive characteristics toward internet. J Inform Systems 2006;15(3): 233-52.
17. Kim MK, Park JH. Factors influencing the level of internet ethics and its relationship with internet violence among adults. J Consumer Policy Studies 2008;33:65-91.
18. Jin YJ, Kim HY. Information ethics on the Net among youths and related variables. J Korean Manage Assoc 2002;20(5):99-112.
19. Leonard LNK, Cronan TP, Kreie J. What influences it ethical behaviour intentions-planned behavior, reasoned action, perceived importance or individual characteristics. Inform Manage 2004;42(1):143-58.
20. Yoon SU. Consciousness of biomedical ethics in dental hygiene students and non-dental hygiene students. J Korea Contents Soc 2017;5:470-8. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.05.470
21. Kim YJ, Choi JM. A survey of dental hygiene students’ perception toward the biomedical ethics problem. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2007;7(4):433-9.
22. Kim YJ, Cho HE. Related factors of learning ethics of dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(6):1023-31. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.06.1023
23. Kang BW. A study on the ethical values of dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(1):1-18.
24. Kim YJ, Lim KO, Yu MS. An evaluation of the level of moral development of dental hygiene students by ethics education in the province of Jeonnam. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2008;8(3): 99-106.
25. De Vellis RF. Scale development: theory and applications. Los Angeles: Sage publications; 2012: 158.
26. Moon SY. A study on bio-ethics in university education. J Korean Bioethics Assoc 2009; 10(2):13-24.
27. Kim SC, Han JT. A study on ethical and internet use for undergraduate students in the healthcare science. J Korean Assoc Computer Educ 2013;17(1):143-7.
28. Kim KH, Cha EJ. The influence of internet addiction on cyber delinquency among middle school students: Testing the mediating effect of internet ethics. Health and Social Welfare Review 2012;32(2):364-401.
29. Sheehan KB, Hoy MG. Dimensions of privacy concern among online consumers. J Public Policy Marketing 2000;19(1):62-73.
30. Huh EJ, Kim WS. Consumers ethical consumption behavior and related factors. J Consumer Stud 2012;23(4):105-30.
31. Jung CK, Cho CB. A factor analysis on the relation between the internet addiction of adolescent and family & school background. J Korea Soc Computer Inform 2001;6(4):168-78.