Department of Health Science, Graduate School of Chosun University1
Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine Chosun University2
Department of Dental Hygiene, Gwangju Women's University3
Objectives: Dental implants are one treatment method for tooth loss. The purpose of this study is to investigate the status of experience and intention for dental implants and related factors among elderly. Methods: The participants were 244 elderly residing in rural areas with age over 65 in Samhoeup, Yeongamgun and Jeollanamdo, Korea. Chi-square tests, t-tests, and a multiple logistic regression analysis were performed to investigate the factors influencing the experience and intention of implants. Results: Many elderlies residing in rural areas rural elderly had experienced tooth loss (83.6%). The proportion of dental implant experience was 30.9% and intention to receive implants was 57.8%. The odds ratio (OR) for experience of implants was significantly higher for participants with a lower number of chronic diseases (0: OR=12.48, 95% CI=2.12-73.38, 1: OR=4.95, 95% CI=1.66-14.72), they have dental treatment experience during the past 1 year (OR=6.61, 95% CI=1.83-23.89), they have surrounding person who have experience of implant (OR=18.06, 95% CI=2.81-115.99), higher dental implant recognition (OR=3.97, 95% CI= 1.92-8.23). The odds ratio (OR) for dental implant intention was significantly higher for participants with a lower age (65-69: OR=8.18, 95% CI=2.38-278.08, 70-79: OR=3.17 95% CI=1.04-9.68), lower number of chronic diseases (0: OR=4.15, 95% CI=1.00-17.29), they have drink alcohol (OR=5.03, Cl=1.31-19.34), they have surrounding person who has experience of implant (OR=3.22, 95% CI=1.30-8.02), they have not experience of tooth loss (OR=4.65, Cl=1.22-17.70), higher dental implant recognition (OR=2.69, 95% CI=1.55-4.67). Conclusions: In the future, it is necessary to utilize the results of this study to address loss of teeth and to support dental implant treatment selection through improved increased awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of dental implants.
1. Kim MJ. The effects of life habits of some elders on subjective symptoms of periodontal disease. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(3):425-33. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15. 03.425
2. Ha JE, Han GS, Kim NH, Jin BH, Kim HD, Park DI et al. The improvement of oral health - related quality of life by the national senile prosthetic restoration program. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009;33(2):227-34.
3. Lee SE. A comparative study of effects of social support on dental service utilization of the elderly between urban and rural areas. Korean Public Health Res 2014;40(3):37-47.
4. Joo SH. The association between the number of lost teeth, suicidal ideation and suicide attempt:data analysis of the first year (2013) of the 6 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES)[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2015.
5. Yoo EM, Shim HJ. A relationship between dentistry consumers’ knowledge and expectation of dental implants. J Dent Hyg Sci 2010;10(4):219-25.
6. Kang YJ, Kim SA, Kim YH, Kim JA, Nam SM, Park GJ, et al. Implantology for the dental hygienist. 3rd ed. Seoul: Dahannarae; 2013: 69-77.
7. Shin CH. (A) Study upon analyzing patients’ satisfactions by the are as of his/her dental losses followed by dental implanting[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2005.
8. Kim JW, Kim YK. Clinical study about the implant treatment in the patients with systemic disease. Implantology 2009;13(2):64-75.
9. Kim YS, Jun BH. A study of comparative the mastication capability and life quality of elderly people using dentures or implant. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(5):629-36.
10. Kim SG, Son SY, Jeong SA, Jeong MA. Factors influent on treatment decision for the need of dental implant. J Contents Assoc 2011;11(11):264-73. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011. 11.11.264
11. Oh HY, Jin KN. A study on the factors influencing the decision to get implant treatment at dental clinic. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(2):85-92.
12. Kim KW, Lee KS, Kang PS, Kim WS, Lee HK. Comparison of chewing ability and quality of life before and after the dental implatation. J Adv Prosthodont 2009;47(2):215-21. https://doi. org/10.4041/jkap.2009.472.215
13. Lyoo YJ. A questionnaire on awareness about the dental implant[Master’s thesis]. Cheonan: Univ. of Dankook, 2004.
14. Chung SY, Cho JH, Cho CH, Choi YH, Song KB. Factors associated with patient satisfaction and decision to get implant surgery. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2011;35(2):179-86.
15. Cho HR. A study on the awareness about ����National Health Insurance Coverage of Denture · Implant of Elderly People���� - comparison of the difference between Seoul metropolis and locality[Master’s thesis]. Cheonan: Univ. of Dankook, 2015.
16. Jung SH, Rye JI. Association of total tooth loss with socio-behavioural health indicators in Korean elderly. J Oral Rehabil 2011;38(7):517-24.
17. Lee HO, Park JY. Relationship between oral health behavior and happiness index in elderly people. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(6):415-23. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.6.415
18. Kim HJ, Choi MH. Dental hygienists on dental implantation a study of knowledge and attitudes. Chung-Ang J Nurs 2003;7(2):57-66.
19. Han JH, Kim KE. Comparison of expectation and satisfaction of implant patients in pre-post implant therapy. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(2):121-7.
20. Ministry of Health Welfare. Report on the Korean National older adults life. Seoul: Ministry of Health Welfare Survey 2010. 2011: 417.
21. Hilgert JB, Hugo FN, Sousa MLR, Bozzetti MC. Oral status and its association with obesity in Southern Brazilian older people. Gerodontology 2009;26(1):46-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/ j.1741-2358.2008
22. Cho HA, Choi ES. Association between depression and poor oral health in Korean elderly: the six Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(6):931-41. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.06.931
23. Yoon HG, Lee JH, Lee SH. Patrial denture prosthesis implant and necessity there of in Korean elderly:analysis of the data from the 5national health nutrition survey (2010-2012). J Digital Converg 2014;12(6):467-79. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.6.467
24. Hyeong JH, Lee YH. Gender-specific association between average volume of alcohol consumption, binge drinking and periodontitis among Korean adults: The Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2013-2014. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(5):336-48. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.5.339
25. Park FS. A survey on the Korean people’s missing teeth and dental implant treatment[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Catholic, 2011.