Department of Dental Hygiene, Shin-han University1
Objectives: This study was designed to provide raise awareness of the guidelines associated with radiation, including those associated with ensuring safety at dental clinics. Methods: A survey was conducted on the degree of awareness on dental radiation among adults over age 20 in Seoul and Gyeonggi Province from December 2016. The questionnaire copies from 21 respondents whose answers were insincere were excluded from analysis. A total of 320 copies, equivalent to 93.4% of the total data collected, were used in the analysis. Results: Dental radiography was found to have been experienced by 60. 5% of the subjects, and 83.4% of them did not receive any explanation to the radiation exposure, while 78.7% had no experience wearing protective equipment. As a result of investigating factors affecting the recognition of dental radiation, it was found that female subjects had a higher awareness of the hazards associated with dental radiation hazard and the necessity to provide information. Conclusions: It is necessary to educate the dental medical personnel to raise awareness on radiation exposure and the need for protective equipment, especially when checking for pregnancy.
1. Yang JM. Lecture of public health. Seoul: Sumunsa; 1992: 167.
2. Kang EJ, Lee KH, Kim YI. A study on radiation safety management by dental hygienist. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2005;5(3):105-12.
3. Lee SY. Factors affecting the safety management and perception of diagnostic radiation generators of medical institutions[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 1997.
4. Park JK. A study on gynecologic patients recognition about radiation exposure-focused on Gyeongsangbukdo Region[Master’s thesis]. Seosan: Univ. of Hanseo, 2008.
5. Samsunghospital. What is the radiation used for treatment?[Internet].[cited 2017 Nobemver 25] Available from: http://terms.naver.com/entry.nhn?docId=2102536&cid=51003&category Id=51019
6. Faculty council of Korea oral maxilofacial radiology. Oral maxilofacial radiology. 3rd ed. Seoul: Daehannarae; 2001: 138-45.
7. White SC, Pharoah MJ. Oral radiology - principles and Interpretation. 4th ed. St. Louis: Mosby Inc; 2000: 205-12.
8. Lee WG. Design of Dental Panoramic & CT System[Master’s thesis]. Busan: Univ. of Pusan national, 2009.
9. Heo J. Radiation biology. Seoul: Shinkwang publishing co; 1998: 125-9.
10. Kim SJ. An inquire into dental personnel’s knowledge, attitude and behavior about the defense against dental radiation. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2004;4(1):15-29.
11. Lee KH, Byun AR, Kim SK. Impact of dental radiography awareness on radiation exposure and concern among adults. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(4):527-37. https://doi.org/10. 13065/jksdh.2014.14.04.527
12. Yeo JD, Ko IH. A study on perception by examines of the radiology department about exposure to radioactivity. J Korean Soc Radio 2013;7(5):320-31. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr. 2013.7.5.321
13. Kyung KH. Fundamentals of radiographic imaging for radiation safety management inspectors. Seoul: Shinkwang publishing co; 2011: 35-54.
14. Park IS, Lee KH. A study on the environmental condition and safety in dental radiography room. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2004;4(1):49-64.
15. Kang EJ, Hyeong JH. Current status of dental intraoral imaging devices and radiographic saftety management. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(2):205-14. https://doi.org/10.13065/ jksdh.2016.16.02.205
16. Bae HS, Kim CH, Moon HJ, Park JI, Heo MS, Kim MS, et al. Oral maxilofacial radiology. 2nd ed. Seoul: DaehanNarae Publising co; 2014: 285-92.
17. Jeong BS. The Analysis of factors influencing on radiation safety management behavior in dental hygienists[Master’s thesis]. Incheon: Univ. of Gachon, 2013.
18. Schull WJ, Norton S, Jensh RP. Ionizing radiation and the developing brain. Neurotox Teratol 1990;12(3):249-60.
19. You BG. Health risk assessment of low dose radiation. J Korean Soc Radio 1996;20(1): 93-101.
20. Moneytoday. X-ray, Is it safe?[Internet].[cited 2014 Apr 02] Available from: http://edu.mt. co.kr/eduView.html?no=2013082916334021539&depth=column
21. Yun JE. Kndwledge and attitude on radiation safety of dental hygienists[Master’s thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Yeungnam, 2010.