Department of Dental Hygiene, Shin-han University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to find out how to provide the correct information about toothbrushing and to promote oral health. Methods: A survey was conducted from December 2016 with 354 subjects who are over 20 years old in South Korea to find out the influence of the using toothbrush. The results are as follows. Statistical analysis of the collected data was performed using the SPSS WIN 21.0 statistical program. Results: After reviewing the result that the using toothbrush of oral health according to the general nature, the average score of the female 3.94±0.87 was higher than the male, the highest average score of 50-59 age was 4.10±0.83. As for the highest average score regarding martial status, the married group's score was 3.91±0.88. After reviewing the factors affecting the toothbrushing, the age group of 50-59 has the highest using toothbrush and the more using toothbrush in oral health, the more using toothbrush. Conclusions: Systematic dental health education program is needed to increase the correct knowledge of time to replace the toothbrush among the public. Also it is needed to increase people’s toothbrushing constantly by acquiring the information through SNS, AD, and mass media.
1. Kim SJ, Lim SA, Park SJ, Kim DK. Assessment oral health-related quality of life using the oral health impact profile (OHIP). J Korean Acad Dent Health 2004;28(4):559-69.
2. Kim JB, Choi YJ, Moon HS, Kim JB, Kim DK, Lee HS, et al. Public oral health. 4th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa media; 2010: 65-110.
3. So MY, Kim SS, Shin SB. A study on usage status of oral hygiene devices in some area. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(6):1107-19.
4. Choi ES, Jeong SR, Cho HA. Factors affecting the use of oral hygiene devices in adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(6):775-85. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.6.775
5. Public oral health text book development committee. Public oral health. 4th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa media; 2016: 232.
6. American dental association, council of dental therapeutics. Accepted dental therapeutics. 36th ed. Chicago: American dental association; 1975: 281-96.
7. Shin SC. Clincal preventive treatment, plaque control. Dent Res 1986;19(6):20-30.
8. Lee YH, Moon HS, Paik DI, Kim JB. A survey on family dental health behavior in Seoul capital city. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2000;24(3):239-54.
9. So MH, Kim SS, Shin SB. A study on usage status of oral hygiene devices in some area. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(6):1107-19.
10. Park IS, Jeong EJ. Influential factors for recognition and use of oral care supplies by oral prophylaxis practice lab visitors. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(1):133-44. https://doi.org/ 10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.01.133
11. Lee EJ, Lee MO. Analysis on the effect of the dental health characteristics of adult on the status of recognition and practical application of dental hygiene devices. J Dent Hyg Sci 2010; 10(4):241-50.
12. Oh JH, Lee MR, Seo JH, Chang YS. Micro-organism according to storage method of the tooth-brush. Int J Clin Prev Dent 2013;9(4):193-7.
13. Won YS, Park SY. Influences of health behaviors and perceived oral symptoms on subjective oral health status. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(5):787-95.
14. Lee KH. Influential factors for the use of oral hygiene supplies in metropolitan area. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(6):951-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.951
15. Korean dental association. The average daily number of tooth brushing is 2. 6th[Internet]. Dailly dental.[cited 2010 November 29]. Available from: http://www.dailydental.co.kr/news/ article.html?no=65471.
16. Lee HS, Kim ME. Effects of smoking on oral health: Preliminary evaluation for long-term study. J Oral Med Pain 2011;36(4):225-34.
17. Yoon HC. Study on the use of oral hygiene devices for the atients[Master's thesis]. Gwangju: Univ. of Chonnam National, 2011.
18. Lee SM, Kim SK, Kang BW. Adults’concern for oral health and subjective oral health symptoms. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(6):871-80.
19. Lee KH, Kim SR, Gu JH, Kim CJ, Choi DH. Relationship between dental fear and subjective oral healthrelated quality of life. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(4):695-703. https://doi. org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.04.695