Department of Radiation Convergence Science, College of Medical Science, General Graduate School of Konyang University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Medical Science, Konyang University2
Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Medical Science, Konyang University3
Objectives: This study analyzed the perception towards clinical practice education content held by dental hygiene students in dental institutions and their perceived importance of dental hygienists’ clinical duties. Methods: The subjects of this study were 182 dental hygienists who were working at dental institutions in Seoul, Gyeonggi, and Chungcheong areas. A survey was conducted with a self-administered questionnaire. In the questionnaire, the clinical practice contents were classified into observation, preparation, and performance, and the importance of clinical duty was measured with a 3-point scale. For the clinical practice contents and the importance of duty, descriptive statistics and chi-square test were performed, and the study results were analyzed using STATA 11.0. Results: With regard to clinical practice contents, observation was mainly performed in oral & maxillofacilal radiology, preventive dentistry, periodontal medicine and oral medicine. In primary care and infection control, practice and observation were mainly performed. In the department of orthodontics and pediatric dentistry, observation and preparation were mainly conducted, while in oral surgery, conservative dentistry observation, preparation and practice were all conducted. With regard to clinical practice contents according to the dental institution, there were statistically significant differences in the type of dental institution and the duty (p>0.05). In terms of the importance of dental hygienist’s duty, infection control, toothbrushing education for each patient, removal of plaque, and patient education after surgery were considered important. Conclusions: For clinical practice of the dental hygiene department, the education contents should be standardized in accordance with the importance of the dental hygienist’s duty, a protocol for operation of practice should be developed, and a method of standardization of evaluation should be sought in the future.
1. Darby ML, Walsh MM. Dental hygiene theory and practice. 2nd ed. Elsevier, St Louis; 2003: 1-12.
2. Lee SE. A study on satisfaction and experience of clinical practice & direction for clinical education: focused on maternity nusing practice. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2001;7(2): 333-48.
3. Park IS, Lee SH. A study on the satisfaction of clinical training according to dental hygienist duties. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(4):295-302.
4. Lee WH, Kim SS, Han SH, Lee SY, Kim GY. Application and effectiveness of a preceptorship for the improvement of clinical education. J Korea Acad Nurs 1995;25(3):581-96.
5. Lee YA, Kim YS. A study on the experience of clinical practice and the performance confidence. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8(4):353-9.
6. Kang YG. A study on the professional self-concept of dental hygiene students and their satisfaction level with clinical practice. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009;9(1):73-4.
7. Yang JS. A study on the clinical practice satisfaction of dental hospital by dental hygiene students. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2000;24(3):205-13.
8. Shim SU, O JS, Bae HS, Yoo EK, Seong JH. The satatus of clinical practice by dental hygiene students. Oral Biology Research 2003;27(2):37-50.
9. Shin SJ, Kim MJ, Yang JY, Yu JS, Jeoung AY, Shin MS. Study of clinical practice standardization in dental hygiene. J Dent Hyg Sci 2017;17(1):1-11. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.1.1
10. Jang GW, Cho PK, Lee MO, Seo EJ, Kang YJ, Yun EK, et al. A satisfaction and the frequency of observation and clinical practice in dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2005;5(1):101-21.
11. Kim JS, Kang EJ, Kim SJ. The student of clinical practice for students in the department of dental hygiene. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009;9(3):439-55.
12. Jun HY. An empirical study on stressor experienced by nursing students during clinical training-with special reference to junior college students[Master’s thesis]. Wonju: Univ. of Yonsei, 1984.
13. Lee SJ. Leval satisfactionon clinical practice of baccaleats nursing students. J Korea Acad Nurs 1980;10(2):41-51.
14. No MK. A study on length of clinical practice observation/performance of dental and hygiene the degree of satisfaction. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2005;5(2):185-99.
15. Kim JS, Won YS. Study on observation frequency and performance frequency of clinical practice of dental hygiene department students in some areas. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(3):503-12.
16. Goo MJ. A study on introduction and application of preceptor system in clinical practice process of dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(1):43-52.