Department of Radiation Convergence Science, College of Medical Science, General Graduate School of Konyang University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Medical Science, Konyang University2
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to evaluate radiation safety education, knowledge and practice of dental hygienists in using handheld portable intraoral X-ray equipment and to suggest the need for radiation safety education in using handheld portable intraoral X-ray equipment. Methods: We surveyed 223 dental hygienists from July, 2017 to August in the dental clinics of Daejeon, Seoul and Gyeonggi area. Results: Radiation safety educational experience was higher in a year's career (72.9%), than 3 years experience (32.5%) (p<0.05). 82.7% of dental clinic workers took university education for radiation safety education while 55.6% of dental hospital workers took company training (p<0.05). More than 70% of the subjects did not have experience of radiation safety education about using portable intraoral X-ray. Radiation safety knowledge was highest in a year’s career (p<0.05). The cumulative dose, radiation sensitivity, and lead defense knowledge were high in all subjects, but knowledge related to scattering radiation and scattering radiation sources was low. Practice of portable intraoral X-ray safety was significantly lower than knowledge. Conclusions: Knowledge of portable intraoral radiography safety is available, but performance is poor. Even with the small amount of radiation exposure, the risk is perceivable. There is a need to actively utilize the provided radiation protection products. In order to do this, efforts should be made to improve knowledge and performance of radiation safety through not only college education but also post- employment training.
1. Kang EJ, Lee KH, JU OJ. A study on the environmental condition and safety in dental radiographic room. J Dent Hyg Sci 2005;5(2):83-8.
2. Varghese S, Kimmel A, Radmer T, Bradley TG, Bahcall J. In vitro evaluation of the XR-15 portable X-ray unit for forensic odontology. J Forensic Odontostomatol 2004;22(1):5-8.
3. Hermsen KP, Jaeger SS, Jaeger MA. Radiation safety for the NO-MAD portable X-ray system in a temporary morgue setting. J Forensic Sci 2008;53(4):917-21.
4. Cho JY, Han WJ, Kim EK. Absorbed and effective dose from periapical radiography by portable intraoral x-ray machine. Imaging Sci Dent 2007;37(3):149-56.
5. Kim EK. Leakage and scattered radiation from hand-held dental x-ray unit. Korean J Oral Maxillofac Radiol 2007;37(2):65-8.
6. Nelson EM, Monazzam SM, Kim KD, Seibert JA, Klineberg EO. Intraoperative fluoroscopy, portable X-ray, and computed tomography: patient and operating room personnel radiation exposure in spinal surgery. Spine J 2014;14(12):2985-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee. 2014.12.022
7. Kim KW. A study on anxiety of dental hygienists about being exposed to radiation. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2012;14(1):1-9.
8. Han GS. Perception of risk and using status of hand-held dental X-ray Unit. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014:14(4):442-7. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.4.442
9. Schauer DA, Linton OW. National council on radiation protection and measurements report shows substantial medical exposure increase. Radiology 2009;253(2):293-6.
10. Ministry of food and drug safety. Guidelines for safe use of dental portable X-ray equipment. 2014: 25-7.
11. Jang JH, Hwang SL, Jung HR. The relationship between behavior of radiographic safety control and job stress in dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2010;10(4):265-71.
12. Yoon JA. A comparative study on radiation safety management knowledge, attitudes and behavior of career dental hygienists and new dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(3): 173-9.
13. Jeong JY, Han MA, Park J, Ryu SY. Performance and related factors of radiation safety management in dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(2):215-24. https://doi.org/10.13065/ jksdh.2016.16.02.215
14. Korean oral and maxillofacial radiology professor council. Oral and maxillofacial radiology. 4th ed. Seoul: Narae publishing; 2010: 221-7.
15. Kim SJ. An inquiry into dental personnel’s knowledge, attitude and behavior about the defense against dental radiation[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Chungang, 2003.
16. Han OS, Woo SH, Kim SY. The knowledge and attitude toward radiation safety management in dental clinic. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(6):849-57. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh. 2014.14.06.849
17. State law information center. Rules for the safety management of diagnostic radiation generators 2016[Internet]. State law information center[cited 2017 August 30]. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=173446&lsId
18. Lee TH, Song YJ. The scope of radiation safety manager in medical service act -focus on dentists and dental hygienists. Law & Policy Review 2015;21(2):291-321.
19. Choe DY, Ko SJ, Kang SS, Kim JH, Kim DH, Choi SY. Analysis of dose reduction of surrounding patients in Portable X-ray. JKSR 2013;7(2):113-20. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr. 2013.7.2.113
20. Choi GN, Jeon GS, Kim YW. Radiation exposure dose on persons engaged in radiation-related industries. JKSR 2012;6(1):27-37.
21. Kim JH, Ko SJ, Kang SS, Choi SY, Kim CS. Analysis of radiation/radioactivity - related knowledge perception and behaviors of radiological technologists. JRST 2011;34(2):123-9.
22. Na HH, Jin HJ, Lee MK. The awareness and performance towards the dental radiation protection behaviors in Busan and Gyeong-nam. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(5):673-80. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.673
23. Kang SG, Lee EN. Knowledge of radiation protection and the recognition and performance of radiation protection behavior among perioperative nurses. J Muscle Jt Health 2013:20(3): 247-57. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2013.20.3.247
24. Jang JH, Hwang SL, Jung HR. The relationship between behavior of radiographic safety control and job stress in dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2010;10(4):265-71.
25. Han GS, Ahn SM. Spatial dose distribution from portable hand-held dental X-ray equipment. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(3):254-8. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.3.254
26. Park CK, Hwang CH, Kim DH. An analysis of the awareness and performance of radiation workers’ radiation/radioactivity protection in medical institutions: focused on Busan regional medical institutions. JRST 2017;40(1):101-8. https://doi.org/10.17946/jrst.2017.40.1.15
27. Lee MH, Yu YS, Lee JS, Im IC. Research on the actual condition of the radiation safety management(RSM) for the educated training of the dental diagnostics X-ray generators. JKSR 2014;8(7):467-77. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2014.8.7.467
28. Lim CH, Kim SK, Jung HR, Hong DH, You IG, Jeong CS. The study for radio protection according to a possible danger of exposure during dental X-ray examination. JKSR 2011;5(5): 237-44.