Department of Dental Hygiene Science, SunMoon University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to investigate the knowledge and self-efficacy of dental hygiene students after cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) education. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was filled out by 260 dental hygiene students in the period between 5 November 2015 and 30 December 2015. The data analysis was performed by SPSS win 22.0 program for frequency analysis, chi-square analysis, and dichotomies multiple response analysis. Results: Self-efficacy and knowledge increased after CPR education. Most of the dental hygiene students are statistically significant difference in self-efficacy depending on CPR knowledge. Conclusions: Based on the results of this study, we suggest that the theory and practice of CPR, if taught to dental hygiene students, will boost their self-efficacy, and enable them to perform it correctly when faced with and emergency situation.
1. Statistics Korea. Korea statistical information system (KOSIS), statistics DB, Mortality and causes of death statistics 2014[Internet]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/wnsearch/search.jsp.
2. Hwang SO, Lim KS. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation and advanced cardiovascular life support. 5th ed. Paju-si: Koonja publishing; 2016: 1-390.
3. Park DS, Yun YH, Kim JS. Education effect in basic CPR for the dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8(4):381-6.
4. 2015 Korean guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardiovascular care. Ministry of Health and Welfare 2015;Retrieved October.
5. Jung JS, Hur HK. Effectiveness and retention of repeated simulation-based basic life support training for nursing students. J Korean Crit Care Nurs 2013;6(2):24-36.
6. Bandura A. Self-efficacy: Toward a unifying theory of behaviroal change. Psychol Rev 1977; 84(2):191-215.
7. Park SS, Park DS, Ko CH, Kim YA, Park JS. A change of the ability of CPR after education for some health college students and the factors effects CPR performance. J Korean Soc Emerg Med 2008;12(3):17-26.
8. Kim SM, Lee EJ. The effects of CPR clinical training on CPR performance and self efficacy in nursing students. J Korea Academia-Industiral Cooperation Soc 2011;12(12):5759-65.
9. Park SS, Jang GW, Hwang MY. Perception, attitude and knowledge of cardiopulmonary resuscitation in dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(6):1079-86. https:// doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.1079
10. Choi HJ, Jun SK, Yoo EM. Knowledge and attitude according to learning experiences of CPR for dental hygiene students in some areas. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(2):223-32.
11. Kwon HJ, Kim KN, Kim SK, Kim JS, Kim JY, Yang YS, et al. Knowledge, attitude, and self-efficacy about cardiopulmonary resuscitation of undergraduate students. J Ewha Nursing 2013;47:13-26.
12. Kim KM. Knowledge and educational experience about basic life support in high school student[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2007.
13. Cho HS. Relationship between cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) knowledge, professional attitude, and job performance: a descriptive analysis of medium- to small-sized hospital nurses[Master’s thesis]. Suwon: Univ. of Ajou, 2013.
14. Baron RM, Kenny DA. The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. J Pers Soc Psychol 1986;51(6): 1173-82.
15. Swor RA, Jackson RE, Cynar M, Sadler E, Basse E, Boji B, et al. Bystander CPR, ventricular fibrillation, and survival in witnessed, unmonitored out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Ann Emerg Med 1995;25:780-4.
16. Kim MY. A study on the effects of CPR education of senior high school students[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2009.
17. Kim SH, Kim SH, Shim CS. The effect and retention of CPR training in nursing students. J Korea Soc Emerg Med 2007;18(6):496-502.
18. Cho KA. The survey of dentists: updated knowledge about basic life support and experiences of dental emergency[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul National, 2013.
19. Chun YM, Park SH, Park SY. Effects on self efficacy in knowledge and attitude of basic cardiopulmonary resuscitation in the higher grade of elementary school students. J East-West Nurs Res 2013;19(2):121-7. https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.2.121