Department of Dental Hygiene, Ulsan College1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Hanseo University2
Department of Preventive and Social Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Kyunghee University3
Objectives: This study was conducted to examine the effectiveness in oral health promotion through oral health education for freshmen students of the dental hygiene department. Methods: To verify its effectiveness, research was conducted on 74 freshmen of the dental hygiene department by the evaluation of DMFT index, PHP index, and Cariview test (2015-2016). Results: The analysis of the test results using Cariview equipment shows a categorization of low risk group consisting of 10 students (13.5%), middle risk group consisting of 47 students (63.5%), and a high risk group consisting of 17 students (22.9%). DT index according to the number of daily tooth brushing by <2 is DT index average score higher and in such a case, statistics are considered meaningful (p<0.01). Oral health state at DMFT index of low risk group according to Cariview risk group for an analysis is lower than both the middle risk group and the high risk group (p<0.001). Conclusions: A review of the effect of the promotion of oral health through oral health education on the behavior change rather than of Cariview test and value of dental plaque through tooth brushing method was conducted.
1. Lee SO, Jang YJ. Correlation among oral health behavior, oral health knowledge and dietary control of university students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(5):725-32. https://doi.org/ 10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.05.725
2. Matsumoto Y, Sugihara N, Koeski M, Maki Y. A rapid and quantitative detection system for Streptococcus mutans in saliva using monoclonal antibodies. Caries Res 2006;40(1):15-9.
3. Seon SH. Correlation between dental caries experience, oral health promotion behaviors, and knowledge of oral health in children and adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(4): 615-22. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.615
4. Ministry of Health and Welfare. Korean national oral health survey summary. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2016.
5. Kim JB, Choe YJ, Mun HS, Kim JB, et al. Public oral health. 5th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2013: 76.
6. Ducker DB. The role of suger in the aetiology of dental caries:4. The microbiologycal evidence. J Dent 1983;11(3):205-7.
7. Kang SM, Jung HI, Jeong SH, Kwon HK, Kim BI. Development of a new color scale for a caries activity test. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010;34:9-17.
8. Yoo EY, Son MY, Choi SC, Kim KC, Park YD, Park JH. Plaque control effect of tooth brushing instruction. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 2012;39(1):17-25. https://doi.org/10.5933/ JKAPD.2012.39.1.17
9. Lee JS, Lee HS. The oral health behavior and its related factor in Korean university students. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent health 2004;28(3):331-46.
10. Shin KH. Effectiveness of oral health promotion on the oral health education in some high school students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(5):934.
11. Lee SY, Lim SR, Bae HS. Applicability evaluation of quantitative light-induced fluorescence- digital and cariview in cries prediction study. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013;13(4):403-9.
12. Huneth. about cariview[internet].[cited 2017 September 30]. Available from: http://drcariview. com/main/about
13. Kim JB, Jeong SH, Ma DS, Park DY, Kim BI, Kim MJ, et al. Contemporary Preventive practice. Seoul: Daehan Narae; 2015: 122.
14. Ku GM, Kwon HM, Kim LY, Kim SS, Kim YH, Kim IS, et al. Oral health education. 3rd ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2013: 155.
15. Yoon SU, Yang WH. PHP index according to toothbrushing behavior and smoke status of some local residents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(2):261-9.
16. Sim YS, Ann SY, Kim EH, Kim HW. The effect of oral health education on PHP Index. J Korean Soc Sch Health 2014;27(1):1-6.
17. Lee HJ, Paik DI. Effects of oral health education for occupational health nurses. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(1):77-83. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.1.77
18. Choi MS. The change of the oral health status after applying the dental health education program for international marriage migrant women. J Korea Academia-Industrial 2013;14(1): 206-13. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.1.206
19. Ha JE, Kim YH, Bae KH. The effectiveness of oral health education for school nurse in Seoul. J Korean Academy Oral Health 2010;34(3):372-7.
20. Yang HY. The effects of professional tooth cleaning and dental health education on dental clearances and dental health behaviors. J Academia-industrial Technology 2009;10(12):3895-901.