Department of Preventive & Public Health Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Chonnam National University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Songwon University2
The purpose of this study was to provide a counseling program basis for the department satisfaction in dental hygiene department according to the subjective factors of happiness in dental hygiene students. A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 197 dental hygiene students in Gwangju from April 10 to 30, 2017. From collected data, general characteristics, happiness index and department satisfaction of the subjects were investigated. Data were analyzed using the IBM SPSS 18.0 program. The happiness index according to general characteristics showed a significant difference in grade, character, friendship, academic achievement, pocket money satisfaction and health condition. The department satisfaction according to general characteristics showed a significant difference in grade, age, character, motivation for further study, friendship, academic achievement, pocket money satisfaction, health condition, sleep time. Happiness index showed a significant correlation with department satisfaction. The happiness index was higher as the department satisfaction was higher. Factors that affect happiness index are friendship, health condition, relationship satisfaction, perception satisfaction, school satisfaction, curriculum satisfaction and department satisfaction. The happiness index was higher as the department satisfaction was higher. Therefore, it is necessary to develop various programs to increase the happiness.
1. Lyubomirsky S, Lepper HS. A measure of subjective happiness:Preliminary reliability and construct validation. Social indicators research 1999;46(2):137-55. https://doi.org/10.1023/ A:1006824100041
2. OECD. OECD Economic Surveys:Korea 2014. France:OECD Publishing. 2014:31-3.
3. Kim MK. Relationships on university students’ depression and happiness:The mediating role of gratitude and optimism. Forum for youth culture 2011;28:7-32.
4. Kim DJ, Lee JS. Influence of ego-resilience and self-efficacy on satisfaction in major of nursing student. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2014;20(2):244-54.
5. Son BH, Kim YM, Geon IK. A study on nursing students’ job-esteem, work values, and satisfaction of their major. Korean J Occup Health Nurs 2011;20(3):240-9.
6. Jo GY, Park HS. Predictors of subjective happiness for nursing students. J Korean Acad Ind Soc 2011;12(1):160-9.
7. Kim KH, Ha HS. A study of department satisfaction factors of undergraduate students. Korean J Counseling 2000;1(1):7-20.
8. Por J, Barriball L, Fitzpatrick J, Roberts J. Emotional intelligence: Its relationship to stress, coping, well-being and professional performance in nursing students. Nurs Educ Today 2011; 31(8):855-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.12.023
9. Jo GY. The effects of ‘Becoming Happy I’ program on gratitude disposition, self-esteem, flow, and subjective happiness for nursing students[Doctoral’s dissertation]. Daegu: Univ. of Daegu Catholic, 2011.
10. Jang JW, Lee YJ. The development and effects of the happiness improvement group counseling program for college students. Korea J Youth Counseling 2009;17(2):121-38.
11. Go SY, Baek HG. A study on design of ontologies for wounded heart healing. J Digital Convergence 2012;10(11):641-9.
12. Kim YK. Development of the group counseling program to enhance happiness through reframing family of origin emotional health. Korean J Chris Counseling 2009;11:35-60.
13. Seo EG, Gu GS, Lee DG, Jung TY, Choi IC. The happiness index and mean of Korean. Korean Psychological Assoc 2010;1:213-32.
14. Kim KH, Ha HS. A study of department satisfaction factors of undergraduate students. Korean J Counseling 2000;1(1):7-20.
15. Park SM. The employment stress, physical and psychological symptom in collegian of health related departments[Master’s thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Kyungpook National, 2009.
16. Han YJ. The study on the relationship between the degree of instruction participation and major satisfaction and the employment preparation behavior by the major selection motive and their work valuers of university students[Doctoral’s dissertation]. Pusan: Univ. of Kyungsung, 2014.
17. Yeon SH. The effect of exercise participation on the happiness index, stress and depression of University student[Master’s thesis]. Chungju: Univ. of Chungbuk National, 2014.
18. Kim JM, Hong SK. Influence of self-reflection, self-esteem, and empathy on happiness index in nursing students. J East-West Nurs Res 2016;22(2):113-20.
19. Lee ML, Nam MH. The factors of personality in nursing students. Asia-pacific J Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humani, and Soci 2017;7(6):427-37.
20. Park JY. Research on satisfaction level with beauty-related majors and career preference [Master’s thesis]. Seongnam: Univ. of Gachon, 2015.
21. Jeong HY, Park OL. A correlation analysis of the sense of value, self efficacy, major satisfaction level, and career maturity level of beauty care major college students. J Korean Soci Beauty and Arts 2009;10(1):35-49.
22. Kim YM. Major satisfaction of university students in physical education department[Master’s thesis]. Suwon: Univ. of Kyonggi, 2012.
23. Kwon HM. The Subjective factors of happiness and department satisfaction in nursing students[Master’s thesis]. Chungju: Univ. of Korea National of Transportation, 2015.
24. Kim GH, Kim KH. Effects of a self-esteem promotion program on self-esteem and meaning of life among female freshmen. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 2012;21(2):149-57.
25. Park HS, Kwon BS. Satisfaction with life and it’s predictors of college students. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 2006;15(1):48-56.
26. Kim JY, Park HS. The factors related to happiness among nursing students. J Korean Data Analysis Soc 2015;17(1):545-59.
27. Kim JK, Hwang BD, Choi R. The accomplishments of students majoring physical therapy to vocational personality of HOLLAND. Korean Pub Health Res 2013;39(2):77-85.