Department of Dental Hygiene, Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University1
The purposes of this study were to analyze the trade newspapers related to ‘recognition of the dental hygienist as the healthcare professional‘ using R program and to identify opinions of groups concerned with dental hygienists. This study was designed with contents analysis and cross-sectional. The subjects of the study were the articles for the last three years in medical and dental newspapers about the recognition of the dental hygienist as the healthcare professional. The collected articles were categorized and classified for each group’s opinions about the issue. The key words were extracted according to the priorities of the opinions of agreement and disagreement. They were visualized after frequency analysis using R, a big data analysis program. A total of 237 newspaper articles were extracted among 270 ones containing opinions. 245 were positive opinions and 25 were negatives. The main key words of the agreement were ‘Amendment of Medical Law’, ‘Medical Practice’, and ‘Legal Guarantee of the Practice’. Advocates addressed that the issues should be resolved with the amendment of the law, as dental hygienists are not guaranteed to work based on the current law although they are actually doing the medical practices. Main key words of disagreement were ‘Legal Guarantee of the Practice’, ‘Revision of Medical Technician Law’, and ‘Review of Job Type’. They described that the problem can be resolved by revising medical technicians act, and it needs to consider as job types of all healthcare professional. In the group who showed the positive opinions, it is possible to utilize measures such as promoting the cooperation of dental hygienists and developing public consensus through publicity.
1. Korea Laws. health & Medical Law. Medical Technicians[Internet].[cited 2017 Aug 01]. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/main.html
2. Korea Laws. Medical Law[Internet].[cited 2017 Aug 01]. Available from: http://www.law. go.kr/main.html
3. Choi YR, Seo HY, Ryu EJ, Choi EM. Dental hygienists’ awareness of medical technician jurisprudence. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(6):495-501. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.6.495
4. Park EJ, You MS. A study on job stress and job satisfaction of dental hygienist. J Korean Dent 2004;56(56):93-100.
5. Jung JO, Song KS. A study on job stress satisfaction of dental hygienists working in dental clinics. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8(4):305-12.
6. Kwon JY, Lee SY. Relationship of between task performance, job satisfaction, and organi-zational contribution of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(4):302-9.
7. Lee SS. A content analysis of journal articles using the language network analysis methods. J Korean Soc Inform Manage 2014;31(4):49-68. https://doi.org/10.3743/kosim.2014.31.2.049
8. Kam MA, Song M. A study on differences of contents and tones of arguments among newspapers using text mining analysis. J Intell Inform Syst 2012;18(3):53-77.
9. Choi YJ, Kweon SH. A semantic network analysis of the newspaper articles on big data. Jour of Cyb Communica Acade Soc 2014;31(1):241-86.
10. Kim MJ, Jun BO. Semantic network analysis of three major human embryo cloning cases. J Korean Bioethics Assoc 2012;13(2):19-34.
11. Jung YJ, Kim JH, Yoo JW. Research on the process to a popularization of dance sports through the mass media. Korea J Physi Educ 2003;42(3):355-64.
12. Oh SH, Nam YO, Jang JH. Newspaper analysis of research on dental hygienists in Korea from 2005 to 2008. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2009;9(1):1-15.
13. Seo JS. Data R love. Revised and enlarged ed. Korea: The Ar-eum; 2015:4-595.
14. Kitzinger J, Reilly J. The rise and fall of risk reporting. Euro J Communic 1997;12(3):319-50.
15. Kim SI, Jeon MK, Lee SM. Needs of revision of dental hygienist-related medical law. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(5):677-85. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.05.677.