Department of Dental Hygiene, Kyungdong University1
This study was conducted in order to identify the various influencing factors of dental caries according to the socio-economic characteristics and oral health behaviors across the life cycle among Koreans.The data were extracted from the 6th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2013-2015) and a total of 4,871 subjects with ages of 7 and over were selected . The data were analyzed using SPSS 21.0 for χ 2-test and multi-logistic regression. Significant differences were observed in the socio-economic characteristics, health behaviors and in the dental caries across the life cycle. The influencing factors of DT includes the type of health insurance (p<0.05) in school aged & adolescence, Oral health examination/year (p<0.01), Residence (p<0.05) in early adults, type of health insurance (p<0.001), Oral health examination/year (p<0.001), use of oral hygiene products (p<0.01) in late Adults, Oral health examination/year (p<0.05) and Gender (p<0.05) in old age.This study suggests that dental health promotion can be enhanced by regular checkup. The government must provide the people with better quality of oral health care and promotion across the life cycle in the near future.
1. Jang YJ. A study of subjective periodontal disease of elderly people. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009;9(4):836-48.
2. Lee HK, Son KB, Lee SK, Park JH, Choi YH. Association between tooth loss and cardiovascular risk indicators in the Korean elderly. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008;32(4):495-503.
3. Nam SM. A study on the practice application of oral hygiene auxiliary supplies and oral health status of patients in university dental clinic. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(3):373-81.
4. Park CS, Kim YI, Jang SH. A study on the status of recognition, understanding of the use and practical application of oral hygiene devices in dental clinics patients. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009;9(4):685-98.
5. Ministry of Health and Welfare. Health at a Glance 2009 OECD indicators. Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2010: 34-5.
6. Choi ES, Jeong SR, Cho HA. Factors affecting the use of oral hygiene devices in adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(6):775-85.
7. Jung YJ, Cho MH, Moon DH. Influencing factors to dental caries and periodontal diseases in Korean adults. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(1):47-54. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh. 2015.15.01.47
8. Petersen PE. The world oral health report 2003: continuous improvement of oral health in the 21st century-the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2003; 31(s1):3-24. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.2003.com122.x
9. Lee MS, Shin SJ, Jung SH. The association between oral health related quality of life (OHRQoL) and socio-economic position in the elderly in rural area of Gangwon province. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11:707-15.
10. Song GB, Choi YH, Hong SJ, Kim JB. Dental caries prevalence in relation to socioeconomic factors and dental health behaviors among Korean adults. J Korea Acad Dent Health 2003; 27:319-28.
11. Kim JB, Bak DI, Moon HS, Kim HD, Jin BH, Choi YJ, et al. Clinical preventive dentistry. 4th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2010: 83-9.
12. Han SJ, Hwang YS, Yoo JS, Kim YS. A study on oral health awareness, oral health behavior and dental caries among low socio-economic status children: the cases of local children’s center in Incheon. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8:147-53.
13. Lee WY. The role of selected health-related behaviors in the socioeconomic disparities in oral health among adults. J Korea Soc Health Educ Promot 2009;26:129-40.
14. Park HJ, Lee JH. The effect of socioeconomic status, oral health consciousness and behaviors on the periodontal-health disparities among Korean adults. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2010;27:61-9.
15. Moon B, Jeong SR, Jang JY, Kim KY. Health-related quality of life by oral health behavior and oral health status for the middle-aged people. J Korean Soc Hyg Sci 2015;15(2):197-204. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.02.197
16. Kim JS. A study on the health promotion life style and related factors of women college students. J Korean Soc Hyg Sci 2008;14:1-9.
17. Park YJ, Lee SJ, Park ES, Ryu HS, Lee JW, Chang SO. Ameta-analysis of explanatory variables of health promotion behavior. J Korean Acad Nurs 2000;30:836-46.
18. Kim J, Ahn ES. Association of periodontal status with health lifestyle in adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15:83-9.
19. Keun BS, Youn HC, Suk JH, Jin BK. Dental caries prevalence in relation to socioeconomic factors and dental health behaviors among Korean adults. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2003; 27:319-28.
20. Locker D. Deprivation and oral health; a review. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2000;28: 161-9. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0528.2000.280301.x
21. Lopez R, Fernandez O, Baelum V. Social gradients in periodontal diseased among adolescents. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2006;34(3):184-96. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528. 2006.00271.x
22. Sanders AE, Slade GD, Turrell G, John Spencer A, Marcenes W. The shape of the socioeconomic- oral health gradient: implications for theoretical explanations. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2006;34(4):310-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528. 2006.00286.x
23. Al-Omiri MK, Al-Wahadni AM, Saeed KN. Oral health attitudes, knowledge, and behavior among school children in North Jordan. J Dent Educ 2006;70(2):179-87.
24. Broadbent JM, Thomson WM, Poulton R. Oral health beliefs in adolescence and oral health in young adulthood. J Dent Res 2006;85(4):339-43.
25. Lee SJ. Jang JH. The relationship between knowledge, attitude of periodontal diseases and dental health behavior in adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(4):817-25.
26. Jung YJ, Cho MH, Moon DH. Influencing factors to dental caries and periodontal diseases in Korean adults. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15:47-54. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015. 15.01.47
27. Fernandes MJ, Ruta DA, Ogden GR, Pitts NB, Ogston SA. Assessing oral health-related quality of life in general dental practice in Scotland: validation of the OHIP-14. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2006;34(1):53-62.
28. McGrath C, Bedi R. Can dental attendance improve quality of life. Br Dent J 2001;190(5): 262-5.
29. Park HJ, Lee JH. The effect of socioeconomic status, oral health consciousness and behaviors on the periodontal-health disparities among Korean adults. Korean J Health Educ and Promot 2010;27:61-9.
30. Jeon JE, Chung WG, Kim NH. The reason of unmet dental need related socioeconomic status in Korea. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2012;36:73-81.
31. Petersen PE, Bourgeois D, Ogawa H, Estupinan-Day S, Ndiaye C. The global burden of oral diseases and risks to oral health. Bull World Health Organ 2005;83:661-9. https://doi.org/ 10.1590/S0042-96862005000900011.
32. Han SJ, Hwang YS, Yoo JS, Kim YS. A study on oral health awareness, oral health behavior and dental caries among low socio-economic status children: the cases of local children’s center in Incheon. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8:147-53.
33. Burr JA, Lee HJ. Social relationships and dental care service utilization among older adults. J Aging Health 2013;25(2):191-220.
34. Kim SK. Association of dental caries with health lifestyle in adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015; 15(3):333-9.
35. Kim CS. A study on the socio-economic study on the characteristics and oral health of national basic livelihood security. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(6):995-1004.