Department of Dental Hygiene, Kyungwoon University1
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the association of smoking and drinking status with gingival symptoms among the adolescents in Korea. We used the data from the web-based survey of the National Korean Youth Risk Behavior of Korean Center for Disease Control in 2016. The study subjects were 65,528 adolescents from middle- and high schools. Data were analyzed by SPSS Ver. 19.0. Multiple regression analysis was used to assess the factors related to gingival symptoms. We observed 1.52 of odds ratio (OR) for gingival symptoms for those who smoked only without drinking in middle schools. In addition, we had ORs of 1.29 or 1.69 for those who drank only without smoking, or who smoked and drank in the middle schools, respectively, compared to nonsmoking nondrinkers. Risk of gingival symptoms for those who drank only or who smoked and drank in high schools were 1.18 or 1.17 times higher than nonsmoking nondrinkers. Smoking and drinking status among the adolescents are the risk factors to develop gingival symptoms. The problem of smoking and drinking in the adolescents should be considered when establishing the policies and institutions to improve oral health targeting the adolescents.
1. Kim TY, Lee DW, Kim JG, Yang YM. Clinical assessment and survey of periodontal condition among adolescents. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 2016;43(3):227-36. https://doi.org/10.5933/ JKAPD.2016.43.3.227
2. Kinane DF, Podmore M, Ebersole J. Etiopathogenesis of periodontitis in children and adolescents. Periodontal 2000 2001;26:54-91.
3. Levin L. Aggressive periodontitis: the silent tooth killer. Alpha Omegan 2011;104:74-8.
4. Lee SJ, Jang JH. The relationship between knowledge, attitude of periodontal diseases and dental health behavior in adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(4):817-25.
5. Ministry of Health and Welfare. Korea National Oral Health Survey 2012[Internet].[cited 2017 Jul 7]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr
6. Cha JS. Effects of smoking cessation programs in public health centers on high school smokers smoking quantity, smoking status, smoking perception and willingness to quit smoking [Master’s thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Keimyung, 2008.
7. Moon SJ, Kim HN, Goo IY. Research on the smoking conditions of college students and the behavior and awareness of oral hygiene. J Contents Assoc 2012;12:258-66.
8. Heegaard K, Avlund K, Holm-Pedersen P, Hvidtfeldt UA, Bardow A, Grønbaek M. Amount and type of alcohol consumption and missing teeth among community-dwelling older adults: Findings from the copenhagen oral health senior study. J Public Health Dent 2011;71(4): 318-26. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2011.00276.x
9. Tezal M, Grossi SG, Ho AW, Genco RJ. The effect of alcohol consumption on periodontal disease. J Periodontol 2001;72(2):183-9. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2001.72.2.183
10. Seo SI, Oh JK, Lim MK. Smoking, physical inactivity, inappropriate weight control, sexual activity and binge drinking among adolescents: Using Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey in 2015. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2017;34(1):1-12. https://doi.org/10.14367/ kjhep.2017.34.1.1
11. Ministry of Health and Welfare. The 11th Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey 2015 [Internet].[cited 2017 Jul 7]. Available from: http://yhs.cdc.go.kr.
12. Shin SH, Kim MS. The factors associated with dental caries experience and oral hygiene status in smoking adolescents. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(5):497-506.
13. Lim CY, Oh HW. The relationship between oral health behaviors and periodontal health status of Korean adolescents. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2013;32(2):65-72. https://doi.org/10.11149/ jkaoh.2013.37.2.65
14. Ma JK, Park EJ, Kim CY. Effect of health behavior on periodontal disease of adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(4):617-23. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.04.617
15. Jung JH, Kim KY, Jeong SH, Kim KS, Lee YM. The effects of the oral health behaviors on the periodontal status in teenagers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(2):163-71. https://doi.org/ 10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.163
16. Kim MS, Park HS, Kim YS. Correlation between health behaviors and experiences of oral diseases in adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(3):513-21. https://doi.org/10.13065/ jksdh.2015.15.03.513
17. Locker D. Measuring oral health: A conceptual framework. Community Dental Health 1988; 5(1):5-13.
18. Lee MR, Choi JS. Relationship of self-perceived symptoms of periodontal disease to quality of life in adults. J Den Hyg Sci 2012;12(2):115-21.
19. Park KH, Lee MR. Comparative study on oral symptoms in middle school and high school students of multicultural and ordinary families in Korea. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015; 17(2):193-202. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.02.193
20. Hong MH, Jeong MA. A study on oral symptoms and oral health behavior among secondary students. J Korea Acad Ind Coop Soc 2010;11(4):1534-9.
21. McFall WT Jr. Tooth loss in 100 treated patients with periodontal disease. A long-term study. J Periodontol 1982;53(9):539-49. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19188.8.131.529
22. Jin HJ, Choi YH, Lee SG, Song KB, Lee HK, Kwon HJ, Kim HG. Relationship between metabolic syndrome and gingival health among Korean adolescents. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010;34(4):628-35.
23. Lee DG, Yoo WK. Relations between oral health status and subjective oral health recognition in Korean adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(4):593-602. https://doi.org/10.13065/ jksdh.2015.15.04.593
24. Do KY. Impact of health risk factors on the oral health of Korean adolescents: Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey, 2013. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(3):193-9. https://doi.org/10.17135/ jdhs.2016.16.3.193
25. Gwon SH, Jeong SY. Factors influencing adolescent lifetime smoking and current smoking in south Korea: using data from the 10th (2014) Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey. J Korean Acad Nurs 2016;46(4):552-61. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.4.552
26. Choi YH, Chae JH. A study on relationship between level of cigarette consumption, eating and mental-psychological state among adolescents: based on 2013 Korea youth risk behavior survey. J Korea Acad Ind Coop Soc 2015;16(11):7321-8. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015. 16.11.7321