Department of Dental Hygiene, Sahmyook Health University1
The purpose of the study was to investigate the influence of employment preparation behavior on motive to select dental hygiene as their major, and their work value among dental hygiene students. A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 444 dental hygiene students in South Korea from November 1 to 30, 2016. To analyze the data, the study used independent t-test, one way ANOVA, Pearson’s correlation analysis, and regression analysis among others. There were employment preparation behavior (2.9), major selection motive (3.1), and their work value (3.8) in subject. The higher student’s grade is, the better prepared he or she for employment (p<0.001). Inner work value (p<0.01) and outer work value (p<0.05) were higher among females than males. Employment preparation behavior had significant positive effect on personal, social motive to select dental hygiene as their major, and their inner work value. Positive motivation to employment preparation behavior leads to major motive to select major, and their work value. It is necessary to consider study of diversified manners that can be fulfilled for employment preparation behavior.
1. http://kosis.kr[Internet].[cited 2017 Apr 20]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statisticsList
2. Park JH, Kang SU. A study on the major satisfaction and major accomplishment related on the major selection motivation in students of dept. of occupational therapy. J KAFA 2015;7(2): 7-12.
3. Yang SY, Son GY, Cho MS, Oh SH. Awareness towards employment in the dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(4):613-21. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh. 2015.15. 04.613
4. Han YJ. The study on the relationship between the degree of instruction participation and major satisfaction and the employment preparation behavior by the major selection motive and their work valuers of University students[Doctoral dissertation]. Busan: Univ. of Kyungsung, 2013.
5. Lim E, Park BK, Hyun JS. Work value shifts of middle and high school students from 2001 to 2011. J KRIVET 2012;25(3):19-37.
6. Jo YS. The analysis of job preparation activities by work value. J Korea Academia-Industrial Coop Soc 2013;14(4):1690-8.
7. Chang GH. A study on the work values of the college students. J Korean Soc Clothing Tex 2007;32(1):139-42.
8. Kim YH, Kim KE, Choi JH. Career decision-making styles and career maturity amongst Korean undergraduate students J Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society 2011;12: 1223-33.
9. Kim SS, Go EK. Factors that affect satisfaction of education for dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2006;6(2):139-45.
10. Han SJ, Lee SM, Lim MH. A survey on preliminary dental hygienists’ senses of employment. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2007;7:583-94.
11. Shin J. The effects of motivations for major choice of university students on the job preparation [Master’s thesis]. Seongnam: Univ. of Gachon, 2012.
12. Lee JH. A study on job selection reasons and choice motives of major for college students in culinary and food service in Busan. J Regional Studies 2011;19(2):69-85.
13. Au YK, Kim DI, Lee JY, Chung YJ. The development and validity of employment preparation behavior test for college students. J Korea Educational Review 2011;17(3):267-91.
14. Ahn KH, Lee YH. A study on the types of work values of the junior college students. J Vocational Education Research 1998;17(1):1-17.
15. Lee GN, Jyung CY. The development of college major selection program model for high school students. Journal of Agricultural Education and Human Resource Development 2009; 41(1):87-110.
16. Jung EJ. The effect of self-leadership on career decision self-efficacy and career preparation behavior for aspiring flight attendants in college[Master’s thesis]. Suwon: Univ. of Kyonggi, 2014.
17. Lee JK, Kim DI. Employment preparation behavior of the college students: focused on the psychological differences. Korea Journal of Counselng 2004;5(4):993-1016.
18. Kim JS. The relationship among self-determination, career barriers, and employment preparation behavior of university students. J Youth Studies 2017;24(2):141-66.
19. Bea SS. The effect of college students self leadership on the employment preparation behavior- mediation effect of positive psychological capital. Korean Review of Corporation Management 2017;8(1):240-60.
20. Seo HJ. The relationship between employment stress of university students and employment preparation behavior: The mediating effects of career self-efficacy and career maturity. J Youth Counseling 2016;24(1):43-64.
21. Shin SH. Influence of education service quality on major satisfaction in the dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(4):549-57. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016. 16.04.549