Department of Dental Hygiene, Kyungwoon University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Kyungbok Univers2
The purpose of the study is to investigate the relationship between life satisfaction, awareness of their old age, and preparation for their old age among dental hygienists. A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 258 dental hygienists in Seoul, Gyeonggido, Incheon and Gangwondo from September 30 to October 30, 2016. The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics (10 items), life satisfaction (10 items), awareness of old age (13 items) and preparation for old age (23 items). Respondents were asked to choose on the Likert 5-point scale. Significant relationships were found between life satisfaction, awareness about old age and preparation for old age among dental hygienists (p<0.01): physical preparation for old age was related to life satisfaction; economic preparation for old age was related to life satisfaction, awareness for old age, 10 or more years of experience as dental hygienist and having offspring (two or more children). Psycho-emotional preparation for old age was related to life satisfaction and awareness for old age. It is necessary to find ways to increase life satisfaction and awareness of old age for their old age among dental hygienists.
1. Shim YS, Woo HS. Preparation for old age of dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(2):179-88. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.02.179
2. Kim MY, Kim SJ, Kim JH. Preparation for old age life of dental hygienists. J KoCon A 2014;14(8):250-6. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.08.250
3. Kim HJ. A study on the relationship between providing care for grandchildren and subjective perceptions of aging among the middle and old aged people: comparisons between female and male. KJGSW 2016;71(2):299-320.
4. Jang MY, Jung EY, Kim EY. Effects of life satisfaction, preparation for old age, aging anxiety on the depression in middle aged men. KSFEA 2014;16(1):493-505.
5. Park BR, Shin JI. A study on preparation for elderly life of hospital worker. KAFA 2012;4(2): 79-89.
6. Rowe JW, Kahn RL. Successful aging. Aging 1998;10(2):142-4.
7. Lee SH, Moon MJ. The relationship of life satisfaction, health behaviors and successful aging in the elderly. J Korean Pubilc Health Nurs 2012;26(2):204-14. https://doi.org/10.5932/ JKPHN.2012.26.2.204
8. Kim SD, Lee YK, Lee JW. A paper of the perception of some dental hygienists regarding old life after retirement and occupations. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2010;12(2):97-108.
9. Lee SM, Jang JH, Hwang CJ. The effect of preparation toward retirement on organizational commitment of public health dental hygienists. KCGR 2015;19(2):93-108.
10. Ko DY. A study on the factors affecting living satisfaction among retired and pre-retired officials : focusing on married life, subjective health, and social network[Doctoral dissertation]. Yongin: Univ. of Kangnam, 2014.
11. Hur HJ, Kwon YC. A study of convergence perception of successful aging, turnover intention and retirement plans of hospital nurses. Journal of Digital Convergence 2015;13(8):337-44. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.8.337
12. Kang SJ. The analysis on the determinants of life-satisfaction in Korea. The Korean Journal of Economic Studies 2010;58(1):5-36.
13. Cho TH, Bae MK. Study of the factors determining life satisfaction of local residents in chungbuk province. J Korea Contents Assoc 2017;17(5):591-601. https://doi.org/10.5392/ JKCA.2017.17.05.591
14. Jeon GY, Bae MJ. Study on the perception and behavior for preparing their old age. J Korean Home Manage Assoc 2010;28(1):13-24.
15. Lee MS, Lee JH. Attitudes toward aging and retirement planning of clinical nurses. J Korean Pubilc Health Nurs 2013;27(1):129-41. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.1.129
16. Choi MH, Choi SI. Relations among personal, occupational characteristics and preparation for the old age-focused on the workers in the banwol·siwha industrial complex. J Korea Contents Assoc 2012;12(6):249-64. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.06.249
17. Kang I. Perceptions of successful aging and preparations for the later life among the baby boom cohort. J Korea Contents Assoc 2016;16(9):460-72. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016. 16.09.460
18. Lee SA, Lee SR. A comparison of the preparation for the old age life between the self employed and wage workers in Korea. Korean Journal of Local Government Administration Studies 2016;30(1):21-43.