Department of Dental Hygiene, Gwangju Health College1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Honam University2
The purpose of this study is to analyze the oral health knowledge among workers at nursing homes, and needs to educate them on elderly oral care. A self-reported questionnaire was filled out by 241 workers at nursing homes in Gwangju and Jeonnam, Korea from May to June, 2016. The data were analyzed with the SPSS 19.0 program for independent t-test or one-way ANOVA analysis. The data analysis showed that workers at nursing homes had lower knowledge about periodontal diseases (65.1%) than about denture management (78.5%). The knowledge of periodontal disease and denture management of workers with experience of oral care education for elderly was significantly higher than that of non-experienced ones (p<0.01). On the question whether those workers should get oral health care education is necessary or not, respondents answered positively (They scored 4.10 points on the 5-point Likert scale from 1 point - Not at all to 5 points – definitely yes). It is necessary to provide elderly oral care education to workers at nursing homes. Furthermore, oral health professionals should be deployed for systematic and practical oral care for elderly.
1. Statistics Korea. Korea Statistical Information System (KOSIS), Statistics DB, Population Projections 2015[Internet].[cited 2017 May 1 ]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/nsportalStats/ nsportalStats_0102Body.jsp?menuId=10&NUM=1014
2. Seo SH, Cho MS, Kim YR, Ahn JY. The relationships among satisfaction with food-related life, depression, isolation, social support, and overall satisfaction of life in elderly South Koreans. J Korean Diet Assoc 2013;19:159-72. https://doi.org/10.14373/JKDA.2013.19.2.159
3. Kim BG. Clinical facial pain and oral medicine. Gwangju: Chonnam National University; 2015:134-40.
4. Oh HS, Kim HK, Park JE, Kim KS, Kim ME. Clinical epidemiology for elderly patients of oral medicine clinic. J Oral Medicine Pain 2013;38:19-28. https://doi.org/10.14476/jomp.2013. 38.1.019
5. Mulligan R, Navazesh M. Relationship between oral conditions and systemic disease in the elderly. J Dent Res 1992;71:31.
6. Shim MA, Han GS. A study on the health status and oral health-related quality of life in the elderly patients with long-term care. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14: 379-89. https://doi.org/10.17135/ jdhs.2014.14.3.379
7. Lee KY, Lim SR. Effect of professional oral healthcare program on the oral status of elderly residents in long-term care facilities. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16:432-41. https://doi.org/10.17135/ jdhs.2016.16.6.432
8. Cho NI, Park SY, Lee HS, Oh HW. Oral health knowledge and behavior among nursing home employees in Seoul, Korea. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2013;37:16-24. https://doi.org/ 10.11149/jkaoh.2013.37.1.16
9. Kim SH, Jung JA, Lee BJ, Kim DK. Public health dentistry: comparison oral health status of the elderly people Lived in nursing home with private home in Gwangju metropolitan city. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007;31:366-75.
10. Yang SB. Oral health status and treatment need of institutionalized elderly patients[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2006.
11. Ahn KS, Ji MG. A study of factors of oral health diseases among the elderly. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2008;8:73-82.
12. Lim MY, Kim HS, Jeong JH, Yang JY, Oh SH, Kook JK. Detection rate of periodon-topathogens associated with cardiovascular diseases in denture. Korean J Microbiology 2004;40:237-43.
13. Jeon HS, Han SY, Chung WG, Choi JH. Knowledge, attitude, and behavior status on oral health care of geriatric care workers in long-term care facilities. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015; 15:569-76. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.5.569
14. Kim SH, Kim CH, Son GY, Yang SY, Cho MS, Oh SH. The perception of elderly oral health care in the care workers in nursing homes. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14:715-21. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.715
15. Moon HY, Bae SS, Moon MY. Study on the oral health behaviors of geriatric care helpers. J Korean Entertainment Industry Assoc 2014;8:199-206.
16. Kim YH, Lee SH, Yun HK. A study on recuperation nurses' oral health knowledge and perceptions, and senile denture management behavior in Andong city. Korean J Health Service Manag 2014;8:69-80.
17. Park SS, Park SH. A study on recognition of dental health care in caregiver. J Occup Ther Aged Dementia 2010;4:1-9.
18. Cho NI. The influence of the oral health knowledge and behavior of caregivers at nursing homes on the oral health of the elderly[Master’s thesis]. Iksan: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2011.
19. Jung YM, Kim SM, Lee HJ, Cho YH, Lee SG, Kim NH. Oral health care of the elderly in long-term care facilities in Korea. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010;10:727-34.
20. Moon YM. Oral health behavior fators related to cargivers of elderly care facility[Master’s thesis]. Seosan: Univ. of Hanseo, 2012.
21. Jang SH. Effect of oral health education on oral hygiene management of certified caregivers in elderly care facilities[Doctoral dissertation]. Iksan: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2013.
22. Park SY, Cho NI, Ju HJ, Lee SH, Oh HW, Lee HS. Oral health care provided by nursing home employees to elderly residents. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2013;37:200-7.
23. Kim KM, Park YN, Lee MK, Lee JH, Yoon HS, Jin HJ, et al. Oral health knowledge level on oral care and elder oral hygiene care of the nursing home staff in long-term care facilities. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14:723-30.