Department of Public Health, Graduate School of Health Science, Chosun University,Mokpo Simmi Dental Clinic1
Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine, Chosun University2
Oral health management is important to improve the quality of life among the elderly. This study investigated the performance of elderly oral health management among some care workers in long-term-care hospitals.The study subjects were 174 care workers in 10 long-term-care hospitals. Data on general characteristics of care workers, attitude, recognition and knowledge of elderly health, performance of elderly oral health management were collected by a self-administered questionnaire. Data were analyzed through descriptive analysis, t-test, ANOVA, correlation and multiple regression analysis by using a SPSS version 23.0 statistical program. The performance score of oral health management was 4.34±0.64 on the 5-point Likert scale. The subjects who exercised more than 2 times a month were significantly higher in their performance of elderly oral health management compared to subjects who did not exercise (=0.232, p=0.035). And, the subjects who cared 10-19 persons were significantly higher in performance of elderly oral health management compared to subjects who cared more than 20 elderly (=0.246, p=0.020). The oral health behavior of care worker (=0.271, p<0.001) and the knowledge of oral health care (=0.055, p=0.008) were positively related to the performance of elderly oral health management. The educational program designed to improve knowledge of care workers in accordance with the standard textbook for training care workers should be developed, and the long term education program should be reinforced to improve the performance for elderly oral health care. If care workers can care a proper number of old persons, they will give oral health care to them.
1. Joen HS, Han SY, Chung WG, Choi JH. Knowledge, attitude and behavior status on oral health care of geriatric care workers in long-term care facilities. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(5): 569-76. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.5.569
2. Park JR, Hong MH, Choi YR. The oral health awareness and oral health care provided by workers in long-term elderly care facilities. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(2):245-51. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.02.245
3. Kim GH, Kwon YS. A study on oral health perception and oral health-related quality of life of the elderly patients in a geriatric hospital. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(3):363-71. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.03.363
4. Lee KY, Lim SR. Effect of professional oral healthcare program on the oral status of elderly residents in long-term care facilities. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(6):432-41. https://doi.org/ 10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.6.432
5. Moon HY, Bae SS, Moon MY. Study on the oral health behaviors of geriatric care helpers. J Korea Entertain Ind Assoc 2014;8(4):199-206. https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2014.12.8.4.199
6. Kim KM, Park YN, Lee MK, Lee JH, Yoon HS, Jin HJ, et al. Oral health knowledge level on oral care and elder oral hygiene care of the nursing home staff in long-term care facilities. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(5):723-30. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.723
7. Kim MY, Kang KH. Status of oral health care provided by care workers in accordance with their oral health awareness and knowledge. J Korea Convergence Soc 2016;7(6):161-6. https://doi.org/10.15207/jkcs.2016.7.6.161
8. Jung YM, Kim SM, Lee HJ, Cho YH, Lee SG, Kim NH. Oral health care of the elderly in long-term care facilities in Korea. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(4):727-34.
9. Moon YM, Bae SS, Moon HY. Some elderly care facilities oral health awareness, knowledge, behavior and education needs. J Korea Entertain Ind Assoc 2015;9(1):277-85. https://doi.org/ 10.21184/jkeia.2015.03.9.1.277
10. Moon YM. Oral health behavior factors related to caregivers of elderly care facility[Master's thesis]. Seosan: Univ. of Hanseo, 2012.
11. Shin SJ. Korean version of oral health promotion program evaluation toolkit for the elderly [Doctoral dissertion]. Gwangneung: Univ. of Gangneung-Wonju National, 2010.
12. Kim EH. Knowledge and provision oral health management for care workers in long-term care facilities[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewha Womans, 2013.
13. Ministry of Health & Welfare. Revision care worker of the training standard text. 2014.
14. Association for Research on Preventive Dentistry. Preventive Dentistry, 3rd ed. Seoul; Koon Ja. 2010: 125-49.
15. Yang JH, Lee JB, Yeo IS, Nam CW, Moon HJ, Park DY, et al. Prosthodontics. 2nd ed. Seoul; KMS. 2010: 219-32.
16. Ki EJ, Kim EJ, Kim JS. A study on the stages of change in caregiver’s exercise behavior. Korean J Occup Health Nurs 2014;23(4):262-8. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.4.262
17. Sung WK, Kim JY. The relationship between self-efficacy and teaching personality and aptitude. J Vocat Educ Res 2015;34(5):55-71.
18. Kim EH, Lee EJ. Nursing outcomes of inpatient on level of nursing staffing in long term care hospitals. J Korean Data Information Sci Soc 2015;26(3):715-27. https://doi.org/10.7465/ jkdi.2015.26.3.715
19. Cho SH, Song KJ, Park IS, Kim YH, Kim MS, Gong DH, et al. Development of staffing levels for nursing personnel to provide inpatients with integrated nursing care. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2017;23(2):211-22. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.2.211
20. Han YH, Park HR, Kim EJ. Knowledge of radiation protection and performance of radiation protection behavior among perioperative nurses. J Korean Soc Wellness 2017;12(1):489-502. https://doi.org/10.21097/ksw.2017.02.12.1.489