Department of Dental Hygiene, The Graduate School of Hanseo University1
This research is to examine the relationship between dental hygienists' exposure to incivility from doctors, bosses, colleagues, patients, their family and visitors, and their turnover intention. The research was conducted using Nursing Incivility Scale (NIS) and a survey. The survey was conducted from September 10 to October 20, 2015. 240 dental hygienists were conveniently sampled from Forty dental clinics and offices in Seoul, Incheon, Gyeongi-do, and Chungcheog-do. The dental hygienists' exposure to incivility and turnover intention showed correlation (p<0.01), and its sub-factors, ― the incivility from colleagues, doctors, patients and visitors ― are also correlated with their turnover intention (p<0.01). The strongest factor affecting dental hygienists' turnover intention was incivility from doctors (=0.279, p<0.001), followed by colleagues (=0.168, p=0.029), patients and visitors (=0.148, p=0.026). The modified explanation ability of this model is 24.9%. Dental hygienists' exposure to incivility in workplace is highly correlated to their turnover intention. A program to educate dental hygienists positive mental attitude, communication skill to deal with incivility, and stress reduction method is therefore required in order to reduce their turnover intention.
1. Kang OH. The determinants of intent to leave of dental hygienists at dental clinics. J Dent Hyg Sci 2006;6(2):107-11.
2. Lee SM, Choi WJ, Han GS, Kim CH. Influencing factors of turnover intention of dental hygienists using by the path analysis. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(6):941-9. https://doi. org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.941
3. Kim HJ, Kim YJ, Kim MH. A study of factors related to job satisfaction affecting service year: A dental hygienist in Seoul. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14(4):510-5. https://doi.org/10.17135/ jdhs.2014.14.4.510
4. Ahn YS, Shin SJ, Jung SH, Lee YS, Lim DS. Comparison of job description and turnover trend among dental hygienists and assistant nurses in dental clinics. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2006;30(3):303-15.
5. Yoon MS, Lee KH, Choi MS. Dental hygienists’ turnover intention and its related factors. J Dent Hyg Sci 2006;6(1):11-7.
6. Ju OJ, Kim KS, Lee HO. Analysis of the correlation of job satisfaction to turnover among dental hygienists in the region of J. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(4):251-6.
7. Choi HN, Lee JW, Cho YS. Factors associated with turnover intention of public health dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(3):343-51.
8. Choi HN, Lim SR, Cho YS. Factors associated with turnover intention of dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(6):973-81.
9. Oh HS. Relationship between emotional labor, burnout and turnover intention in the dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(4):641-8. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015. 15.04.641
10. Lee MJ, Kim YN, Lee SY. A study on factors affecting emotional labor of clinical dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(2):113-8. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.2.113
11. Jeong KY, Han OS. A study on emotional labor, emotional burnout, turnover intention of dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(3):280-6. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15. 3.280
12. Steel RP, Ovalle NK. A review and meta-analysis of research on the relationship between behavioural intentions and employee turnover. J Applied Psychology 1984;69(4):673-86. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.69.4.673
13. Andersson LM, Pearson CM. The spiraling effect of incivility in the workplace. Acad Management Review 1999;24(3):452-71.
14. Cortina LM, Magley VJ, Williams JH, Langhout RD. Incivility in the workplace: Incidence and impact. J Occupational Health Psychology 2001;6(1):64-80. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076- 8918.104.22.168
15. Kim SY, Park KO, Kim JK. Nurses’ Experience of incivility in general hospitals. J Korean Acad Nurs 2013;43(4):453-67. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.4.453
16. Jeon HL. A study on the factors reducing workplace-incivility: Focused on the virtue of the organization, leader member exchange, and big 5 personality(conscientiousness)[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hongik, 2014.
17. Lee ML, Lee HC. The effect influence of job satisfaction on turnover intention in dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(2):303-11. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016. 16.02.303
18. Kim HY, Choi JO, Seong MG. The effect of self-efficacy and job satisfaction of dental hygienists’ on the organizational commitment and turnover intention. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(1):213-23.
19. Lee JH, Kim HE, Choi JS. The relationship between role stress and turnover among dental hygienists: mediating effects of commitment. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2015;29(2):119-26. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2015.39.2.119
20. Kline RB. Principle and practice of structural equation modeling. New York NY: Guilford Press, 2005.
21. Guidroz AM, Burnfield JL, Clark O, Schwetschenau HM, Jex SM. The nursing incivility scale: development and validation of an occupation-specific measure. J Nurs Measurement 2010; 18(3):176-200.
22. Seo YJ, Ko JW. Determinants of intent to leave among physicians working at general hospitals after the separation program of prescribing and dispensing. Korean J Health Policy Adm 2002;12(4):68-90.
23. Kim SY, Yoon SH. Effects of incivility experienced clinical nurses on job stress and the moderating effect of self-efficacy. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2017;23(1):8-17. https://doi.org/ 10.11111/jkana.2017.23.1.8
24. Gwon MY. Study on the factors that effect the intent of changing occupation of Dental Hygienists. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2007;7(4):395-402.
25. Bae SY. The effect of emotional labor on job satisfaction and turnover intention of dental hygienists [Master's thesis]. Gimhae: Univ. of Inje, 2014.
26. Lee JH, Choi JM, Lee YA. The help of experienced dental hygienists turnover verbal abuse and emotional reaction, and the resulting relationship. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14(4):563-70. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.4.563
27. Park YN, Choi YK, Ryu Dy. Influence of organizational communication satisfaction on job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and turnover intention: Focused on the mediated effects of interpersonal stress. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(5):797-804. https://doi.org/ 10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.797
28. Kim JM. The relations among emotional labor, burn out and turnover intention of dental hygienists [Master's thesis]. Jinju: Univ. of Gyeongsang National, 2013.
29. Heo SE, Ji JH. The mediating effects of burnout on the relationships between job stress and turnover intention for dental hygienists. J Korean Public Health Assoc 2010;26(2):35-55.
30. Wi SM, Yi YJ. Influence of emotional labor on job satisfaction, intent to leave, and nursing performance of clinical nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2012;18(3):310-9.
31. Kim SY, Kim JK, Park KO. Path analysis for workplace incivility, empowerment, burnout, and organizational commitment of hospital nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2013;19(5): 555-64. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.5.555