Department of Dental Hygiene, Graduate school of Kwangju Women's University1
The purpose of study is to investigate periodontal disease-related recognition and oral healthrelated behavior in orthodontic patients with fixed appliance. A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 286 orthodontic patients with fixed appliance in Gwangju, Jeonnam from September 1 to September 27, 2016. The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics (3 items), orthodontic related characteristics (3 items), knowledge of periodontal disease (3 items), and oral health-related behavior (4 items). The data were analyzed by frequency analysis, percentage and chi-square analysis using SPSS 21.0 program. 62.8% had experiences of dental treatment and 67.5% had intention of involvement on incremental care program in orthodontic treatment periods. Accuracy rate of cause about periodontal disease was high in female and case of acquiring information experiences on periodontal disease (p <0.05). 67.2% performed correct toothbrushing for the management of periodontal disease in the experiences of acquiring information on periodontal disease in orthodontic treatment periods (p <0.05). The proportions of using interdental toothbrush and mouth rinsing solutions were high among those over 20 years old and students in the subjects (p <0.05). The accuracy rate were high in the answers about cause and management of periodontal disease in case of acquiring information experiences on periodontal disease in orthodontic treatment periods. Therefore, there is a need to further development and implementation of dental hygiene intervention program for periodontal disease care with fixed orthodontic appliances in that regard.
1. Joeng MK, Shin SC, Cho JW. The study on the plaque removal effect by using the several kinds of interdental brushes for fixed type orthodontic appliances. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007;31(4):602-10.
2. Son WS, Kim YI, Song HK, Kim JB. The application of critical pathway on oral hygiene management of patients with fixed orthodontic appliance. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010; 34(2):150-60.
3. Park CH, Lee KH, Hwang HS, Hong SJ. A comparative study of electric and manual toothbrushes on oral hygiene status in fixed orthodontic patients. Korean J Orthod 2004; 34(4):363-70.
4. Kim MH, Kim BO. A study on the effects of professional oral hygiene care on oral hygiene in orthodontic patients with fixed appliances. Oral Biology Research 1994;18(1):477-93.
5. Kang KJ, Son BH. Initial changes of dental plaque, gingivitis and decalcification in Korean orthodontic patients with fixed appliance 1999. Korean J Orthod 2004;29(3):361-74.
6. Han EJ, You YK. A study on the factors associated with compliances of orthodontic patient. J Korean Acad Dent Health 1993;23(4):735-43.
7. Davies TM, Shaw WC, Worthington HV, Addy M, Dummer P, Kingdon A. The effect of orthodontic treatment on plaque and gingivitis. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 1991;99(2): 155-216.
8. Lee SM, Kim EJ. An analysis on dental clinic inpatients’ awareness about their periodontal health. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(4):219-24.
9. Kim JH, Kang PS, Lee KS. Knowledge and practice levels on oral hygiene management of orthodontic patients with fixed appliances. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008;32(4):473-84.
10. Lee EJ. Orthodontic treatment of patients visited the orthodontic department of K University hospital[Master’s thesis]. Gyeongsan: Univ. of Youngnam, 2004.
11. Lee EJ, Park EH. A study on self-perception of oral health, oral health behavior recognition and oral health practice of adult. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010;34(4):595-602.
12. Lee HJ, Kim JH, Cho JY, Hwang HS. Oral status of middle-aged orthodontic patients and their treatment modality; Comparison with young-aged adult patients. J Korean Dent Assoc 2010; 48(5):391-406.
13. Park SJ, Lee KH, Hwang HS. Comparison of electric and manual toothbrushes on periodontal health in fixed orthodontic patients. Korean J Orthod 2005;35(4):286-94.
14. Nam YT, Kim YR. A comparative study on oral health index after oral health care program for orthodontic patients. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(2):215-24. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh. 2017.17.02.215
15. Kim HH. (The) relationship between quality of life and oral health status on orthodontic treatment patients by Oral Impact on Daily Performance (OIDP)[Master’s thesis]. Pusan: Univ. of Silla, 2017.
16. Shin GY, Ra JY, An SY, Song JH, Lee KH. Relationship between the malocclusion and caries prevalence of adolescents in Iksan. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 2014;41(3):207-17.
17. Park YN, Lee MR. A comparative study on dental caries activity before and after placing brackets for orthodontic patients. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010;34(3):394-402.
18. Lee DG. A study on orthodontic patients’ oral health behavior and satisfaction in teeth straightening results[Master’s thesis]. Gyeongsan: Univ. of Daegu Haany, 2012.
19. Sliversin J, Kornacki MJ. Acceptance of preventive measure by individuals, institutions and communities. Int Dent J 1984;34(3):170-6.
20. Hwang MS, Yoon YJ, Kim KW. An epidemiologic study on the orthodontic patients who visited department of orthodontics, Chosun University Dental Hospital last 10 Years (1990- 1999). Korea J Orthod 2001;31(2):283-300.
21. Jun JH, Lee TY, Min HH. A survey on dental patients’ awareness and periodontal care behavior in periodontal disease. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(6):1017-25.
22. Kim YI, Heo HY. A analysis on the patient’s awareness of periodontal diseases. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2008;8(3):107-14.
23. Jang JE. The relationship of periodontal health recognition and self oral hygiene behaviors of dental clinic in patient. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(5):666-72. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs. 2015.15.5.666
24. Sim JE, Kim SH, Park IS, Choi SH, Kim SH, Kim MJ. A survey on the cognition for the periodontal disease management on the industrial workers. Oral Biology Research 2004; 28(3):173-85.
25. Lee JH, Han GS. Oral health behavior levels and oral hygiene condition in fixed type orthodontic appliances. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(6):489-95.