Department of Dental Hygiene, Shin-han University1
This study was conducted to help reduce the anxiety about dental radiation exposures of people and to provide a way to instill proper awareness of dental radiation. To fulfill the research aim, this study conducted a survey to 330 subjects who are 20 years old or over living in Seoul and Gyeonggi-do during the month of December 2016. The collected data were analyzed using frequency analysis, t-test, one-way ANOVA, Pearson’s correlation coefficient and multiple regression analysis among others. As a result of examining the correlation between the anxiety of dental radiography and the correlations between the variables showed that the knowledge of radiation knowledge and the need for radiography (r=0.186, p<0.01), thinking about shooting (r=0.137, p<0.05), and the effectiveness of wearing protective equipment (r=0.120, p<0.01), showing statistically significant differences. As a result of examining the factors influencing anxiety of dental radiography among adults, high awareness of the need for dental radiography (p<0.01), the more the idea of dental anxiety in dental radiography is radiography showed higher (p<0.01). It seems proper that adequate dental radiography requires adequate explanation about it to patients, wearing of protective equipment, and appropriate dental radiation safety education.
1. Radiation[Internet]. Nuclear dictionary.[cited 2016 December 13]. Available from: http://100. daum.net/encyclopedia/view/198XXXKNEA228.
2. Bae HS, Heo MS, Kim CH, Kim JS, Moon HJ, Park IU, et al. Oral and maxillofacial radiology. 2nd ed. Seoul: DaehanNarae Publising 2014: 115, 282-5.
3. Park IS, Lee KH. A study on the environmental condition and safety in dental radiography room. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2004;4(1):49-64.
4. Park EJ. Patient’s perception of dental digital radiography[Master’s thesis]. Gyeongsan: Univ. of Yeungnam, 2015.
5. Food risk warning[Internet]. Monthly Polaris.[cited 2016 November 29]. Available from: http://m.post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=3770664&memberNo=19560439& vType=VERTICAL.
6. Radiology[Internet]. Naver encyclopedia.[cited 2016 November 01]. Available from: http:// terms.naver.com/entry.nhn?docId=1918484&cid=50313&categoryId=50313.
7. Yun JE. Survey on the safety management and defense of digital radiology of dental hygienists [Master’s thesis]. Gyeongsan: Univ. of Yeungnam, 2010.
8. Lee KH, Byun AR, Kim SK. Impact of dental radiography awareness on radiation exposure and concern among adults. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(4):527-37.
9. Yeo JD, Ko IH. A study on perception by examines of the radiology department about exposure to radioactivity. J Korean Soc Radio 2013;7(5):320-31.
10. Kang EJ, Lee KH, Kim YI. A study on radiation safety management by dental hygienist. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2005;5(3):105-12.
11. Kim SJ. An inquire into dental personnel’s knowledge, attitude and behavior about the defense against dental radiation. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2004;4(1):15-29.
12. Park JH, Heo NS, Song HJ. Infection management and related factors of dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(6):993-1003.
13. Yeo JD, Jeon BG. A study on perception by examinees of the primary health care institutions about exposure to radioactivity. J Korean Soc Radio 2015;9(6):381-92.
14. Kang EJ, Hyeong JH. Current status of dental intraoral imaging devices and radiographic saftety management. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(2):205-14. https://doi.org/10.13065/ jksdh.2016.16.02.205.
15. Park JK. A study on gynecologic patients recognition about radiation exposure-focused on Gyeongsangbukdo Region[Master’s thesis]. Seosan: Univ. of Hanseo, 2008.
16. Flood of information, What’s BIG DATA?[Internet]. wikipedia.[cited 2016 November 11]. Available from: https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNS. SNS.