Department of Dental Hygiene, Hanyang Women’s University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to investigate the relationship between education experience, awareness and practice of infection control during the prosthodontic treatment in clinical dental hygienists. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was answered by 255 clinical dental hygienists in Seoul and Gyeonggi areas from October 10 to December 30, 2016. The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics of the subjects (8 items), dental prosthesis infection education experience (5 items), dental prosthesis infection awareness (5 items) and dental prosthesis infection practice (14 items) based on Likert 5 point scale. For statistical analysis, SPSS Statistic 22.0 was used. Results: A significant association was shown among education experience, awareness and practice of infection control during the prosthodontic treatment of clinical dental hygienists (p<0.001). Dental hygienists count, dental prosthesis infection education experience and awareness had positive influences, but the age group from 26 to 30 had negative influence on dental prosthesis infection practice. Conclusions: The study confimed that the dental prosthesis infection education program and continued education is necessary for the safety and health of patients, and to prevent the cross-infections of the clinical dental hygienists.
1. Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guidelines for prevention and control of healthcare associated infections. 2017.
2. Jeon HS, Lee JH. The study of awareness and practice of infection control on dental practi-tioners during the prosthodontic treatment. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2015;53(3):189-97. https://doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2015.53.3.189.
3. Lee JH. The infection control of dental impressions. J Dent Rehab App Sci 2013;29(2):183-93.
4. Jang KA, Park JH. Factors influencing infection control awareness and implementation levels among dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(2):183-92. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs. 2016.16.2.183.
5. Hong SH, Han MA, Park J, Ryu SY, Kim DM, Moon SE. The association factors of infection control practice based on health belief model in the dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(4):463-70. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.04.463.
6. Cho M. A study on re-use intention through external stimuli and infection control of dental office perceived by medical consumer. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(4):571-80.
7. Lee KH, Yang JE, Mun SH, Kim JE. A study on the perception and needs about dental infection control of the dental patients. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(3):343-54. https://doi. org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.03.343.
8. Choi DR, Kim SH. The study on organization, infection controller, patient infection control of dental clinic in certain areas. J Den Hyg Sci 2015;15(4):399-406. https://doi.org/10.17135/ jdhs.2015.15.4.399.
9. Kim BY, Park JM, Park EJ. A study on the impacts of infection control education on dental hygienists' perceptions for hepatitis type B and their practices to prevent infection. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2014;52(4):287-97. https://doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2014.52.4.287.
10. Bae SS, Lee MS. Development of evaluation index for infection control and prevention at dental hospital and its validity verification. J Den Hyg Sci 2013;13(3):254-63.
11. Kim JH, Kim GW. Recognition of medical consumer over the infection control of dental clinic. Jour of KoCona 2013;13(11):306-12. https://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2013.13.11.306.
12. Choi HY, Choi YS. Actual state of dental hygienist’s behavior for infection control during dental practice and radiologic examination. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(2):169-78.
13. Yun KO. A study on practice of infection control index in dental office. J Health Info Stat 2013;38(2):23-35.
14. Oh NS, Seo JM, Kim SH, Youn YA, Shim JS. Agar-alginate combined impression technique and dimensional channge resulting from idophor disinfection. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2004;42(1):21-9.
15. American Dental Association. Infection control recommendations for the dental office and the dental laboratory. J Am Dent Assoc 1988;116(2):241-8. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive. 1988.0341.
16. Lee DJ, Ko SH, Lee YH. Perception and practice of hospital infection control in nurses of geriatric hospital : for convergent approach. Journal of Digital Convergence 2015;13(11): 461-70. https://doi.org/10.14400/jdc.2015.13.11.461.
17. Park KY, Han DW. Awareness and compliance on the nosocomial infection control and factors influencing the compliance among physical therapist. JKDAS 2011;13(4):1893-904.
18. American Dental Association. Infection control recommendations for the dental office and the dental laboratory. J Am Dent Assoc 1996;127(5):672-80. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive. 1996.0280.
19. Choi HJ, Park KH. Relationship between safety and health activities of clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(5):717-23. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016. 16.05.717.