Department of Dental Hygiene, Graduate School of Hanseo University1
Objectives: The purpose of the study was to examine the correlation between leisure activity recognition and campus life satisfaction of dental hygiene students in the Chungnam area. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 494 dental hygiene students at eight universities from January 11 to January 29, 2016. The questionnaire used a five point Likert scale to measure campus life satisfaction and perception towards leisure activities. Data were analyzed with descriptive statistics of variables, independent t-test, one way ANOVA, and Pearson’s correlation coefficient analysis. Results: The mean for satisfaction with campus life and perception towards leisure activities were 3.15 and 3.73, respectively, wich were both higher than the average. The campus life satisfaction of facilities, study, life showed positive correlations with leisure activity recognition. Conclusions: Perception towards leisure activities was associated with satisfaction with campus life. These results suggest that university authorities should encourage students to use active leisure time such as by establishing leisure programs and club activities in order to improve students’ awareness of leisure activities and encourage them to make the most of university life.
1. Ha SR. The relationships among leisure motivation, leisure attitude, and college life satisfaction in Korean college students. J Leisure Recreation Stud 2013;37(4):15-32.
2. Lim BJ. The relationship between types of leisure activity and leisure satisfaction among college students. Korean J Physical Educ 1996;35(4):4480-91.
3. Park YS, Kim JS. The Analysis of types in leisure activity to college satisfaction of university students. J Sport Leisure Stud 1999;12:503-14.
4. Han SY. Effect of college students' leisure experiences on leisure satisfaction and satisfaction of their lives. J Leisure Stud 2011;8(3):1-18.
5. Kang HS, Kim J. Influence on academic motivation and satisfaction of college life by Dong-A-Ry activity-in students on department of dental hygiene. J Dent Hyg Sci 2005; 5(4):185-9.
6. Choi HJ, Lee MS. The associations of social support and ego-resilience on college adjustment among dental hygiene freshmen. Korean Public Health Res 2013;39(2):129-38.
7. Kim SW, Chang J, Lee SH. The effect of the leisure satisfaction of college students who enjoy sports as leisure activities on the satisfaction of their college life. J Sport Leisure Stud 2006;28:523-34.
8. Han SJ, Lee SH. A study on structural relations among the social support, Self-Esteem, and college life adjustment of college students participating in convergence leisure sports activities. J Digital Convergence 2015;13(8):515-23.
9. Kim JW. The influence of participation in sport leisure activity on both school adjustment and Self-Actualization of university students. J Korea Soc Stud Physical Edu 2004;9(3):131-42.
10. Kline RB. Principle and practice of structural equation modeling. New York: Guilford Press; 2005.
11. Beard JG, Ragheb MG. Measuring leisure satisfaction. J Leisure Res 1980;12(1):20-33.
12. Lee JG. The contribution of participation in sports & exercise programs to life satisfaction of adults[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul National, 1992.
13. Lee CK. An effects of enjoyment factor of sports club activity in university on sports commitment and university life satisfaction[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyunghee, 2014.
14. Choi BY. The effect of exercise addiction on a exercise participation characteristic among sport for all group members[Mater's thesis]. Asan: Univ. of Soonchunhyang, 2008.
15. Goo KM. A study on satisfaction of campus life by students at the dept. of dental hygiene C university. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2007;7(3):343-54.
16. Park HM. Analysis of environmental factors affecting college satisfaction. Korean J Youth Studies 2017;24(1):377-99. https://doi.org/10.21509/KJYS.2017.01.24.1.377
17. Ryu HG, Ku IY. The relationship socio-demographic characteristic and campus life satisfaction of the dental hygiene students. J Korean clinical Health Sci 2016;4(3):615-21. https://doi.org/10.15205/kschs.2016.9.30.615
18. Han HJ. The effect of leisure participation motivation, satisfaction of leisure and university life of university students on happiness level. J Tourism Management Res 2014;18(1):353-73.
19. Moon BI, Kim BY. The leisure recognition and collegiate life satisfaction for the leisure activity participants of the university student. J Sport Leisure Stud 2009;38(2):1181-91.