Department of Dental Hygiene, Gwangju Health University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to investigate awareness and performance of infection control by dental hygienist. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was answered by 239 dental hygienists working in dental clinics from September 7 to 18, 2016 in Gwangju city & Jeonnam region after explaining the purpose of the study and receiving the informed consent. The questionnaire consisted of sociodemographic characteristics and awareness and performance of infection control using Likert 4 point scale. Results: Average of Infection control awareness was 3.33±0.38, average of infection control Performance was 3.04±0.37 (p<0.05). The awareness and practice of dental equipment management showed the largest difference. The awareness of infection control by general characteristics varied according to position, number of dental units, number of employees, Infection control needs, Received infection control training experience, infection experience, infection control guideline (p<0.05). The relationship between infection control awareness and Infection control performance was r = 0.624 (p<0.001), indicating positive correlation. Conclusions: To improve awareness and performance of dental hygienist's infection control, regular received infection control training experience is needed. It is considered that the dentist's active cooperation is needed in shortening the life span of the dental equipment due to the Infection control performance and securing the quantity.
1. Kang BU, Go JM, Gwoen TS, Kim GS, Kim MS, Kim SY, et al. Public health. 7th ed. Seoul: Chung gu; 2017: 57-9.
2. Kim DJ, Youn HM, Lee JA, Chae HR. Measurement of inequalities in health care utilization in Korea using Korea health panel. Health and Social Welfare Review 2014;34(3):33-58. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2014.34.3.33.
3. Eom S, Kim GW. Infection control realities and relevant factors in dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Den Hyg 2012;12(2):379-89.
4. Peter RW. Prevent cross-infection in dentistry. Seoul. KMS; 1998: 1.
5. Korean Dental Association. 2013 Korean dental medical yearbook. Seoul: Jaru; 2014: 133.
6. Jung MK, Lee JY, Kang YJ. A study on the knowledge and attitude of dental hygienists for infection control in dental clinic. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg Sci 2010;10(5):935-45.
7. Yim HK, Jung WG, Yoo JH, Kim NH. The patient’s perception of wearing personal protective equipment in dental health-care settings. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009;33(3):441-50.
8. Nam SM. A study on infection control practices by dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Den Hyg 2011;11(1):135-46.
9. Yun KY, Park HJ, Son BS. A study on bacterial concentrations in dental office. J Environ Health Soc 2014;40(6):469-76. https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2014.40.6.469.
10. Yoon MS, Choi MS. The analysis of the prevention against virus infection in dental hygienist at medical treatment. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(2):101-6.
11. Lim HJ. Influence of the infection control’s recognition level of a dental hygienist on an practice degree[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Chungang. 2009.
12. Cho YJ, Yoon SJ, Ahn HS, Kim SD, Park HK. A study on infection control practies among dental hygienists. J Korean Quali Heal Cur 2003;10(2):190-204.
13. Jung HJ, Lee JH. Impact factor of cognition and practice of infection control in the dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(3):363-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015. 15.03.363
14. Lee JH. A survey of cognition on infection control of the clients in dental hospital. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(2):249-60.
15. Kim JH, Lee GY. A study on the infection attitude of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(1):129-36.
16. An SH. Management of infection and hygiene control in dental care in some dental clinics [Doctoral dissertation]. Cheonan: Univ. of Dankook, 2010.
17. Kim EK. Recognition and practice on infection control of dental personnels[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Chungang, 2000.
18. Nam YS, Park MS. A study on practice level of infection prevention of dental hygienists in dental clinics. J Korean Aca Oral Heal 2010;34(2):187-97.
19. Choi YS, Jun BH, Cho YS. Effect of infection control practice on exposure prevention of dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg 2010;10(2):255-68.
20. Jeon JS. Status of infection control behaviors of dental hygienists[Master’s thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Kyungbook National, 2012.
21. Bae SS, Lee MS. Development of evaluation index for infection control and prevention at dental hospital and its validity verification. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013;13(3):254-63.
22. Ministry of Legislation Internet][cited 2017 Apri 19]. Available from: https://www.law.go.kr/ lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=188411&lsId=001788&chrClsCd=010202&urlMode=lsEfInfoR&viewCls=lsPtnThdCmp#0000
23. Kim BY, Park JM, Park EJ. A study on the impacts of infection control education on dental hygienists perceptions for hepatitis type B and their practices to prevent infection. J Korean Acad Prosthod 2014;52(4):287-97. https://doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2014.52.4.287.
24. Lee YE, Cho MJ, Bae JY, Park HS. A study on practice of infection control among dental staffs in dental office. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(4):263-9.