Department of Dental Hygiene, Wonkwang Health Science University1
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the oral health assessment and satisfaction according to recognition and beneficiary oral health projects for oral health promotion of the elderly. Methods: The subjects were elderly over 65 years old in Jeonbuk province. The study instrument was structured questionnaire including general characteristics, oral care condition, recognition of project, satisfaction of project, geriatric oral health assessment index, life satisfaction. For data analysis, the study used independent t-test, one way ANOVA and Pearson correlation analysis. Results: The subjects of this study were well aware of the perceived health status of oral health projects. Satisfaction scaling project was the highest in the satisfaction of the received projects. People who recognized the oral health project had a high oral health assessment index. People who benefit from oral health project showed higher satisfaction in life. Conclusions: As for the elderly's perception on oral health care, they showed higher oral health assessment index and life satisfaction.
1. Public oral health education. Public oral health. 4th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2016; 111.
2. Park YA, Jeong SH, Yoon SH, Choi YH, Song KB. Associations between general health and diet habits and oral health among the elderly in Pohang city. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2006;30(2):183-92.
3. Saltnes SS, Storhaug K, Borge CR, Enmarket I, Willumsen T. Oral health-related quality- of-life and mental health in individuals with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica 2015;73(1):14-20. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016357.2014.935952
4. Won YS, Park SY. Influences of health behaviors and perceived oral symptoms on subjective oral health status. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(5):787-95. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh. 2013.13.05.787
5. Choi YJ, Park JS. The effects of oral health belief on oral disease prevention and quality of life. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management 2016;10(3):113-22. https://doi.org/ 10.12811/kshsm.2016.10.3.113
6. Shin HS, Kin HD. Association between the number of existing permanent teeth and health- related quality of life(EuroQol-5 Dimension) among adults: findings from the fifth Korea national health and nutrition examination surveys 2012. 2015;39(4):303-10.
7. Shin SJ, Jung SH. A Korean version of the geriatric oral health assessment index(GOHAI) in elderly populations: validity and reliability. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2011;35(2):187-95.
8. Park CS, Kim IJ. Oral health behavior according to perceived oral symptoms in the elderly. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(6):955-68. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.06.955
9. KCDCK, MW. Korea health statistics 2013: Korea national health and nutrition examination survey 6th. Sejong: KCDC; 2013: 19-36.
10. Park SJ. A study on the demands of oral health and medical care policies for the elderly [Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Chungang, 2015.
11. Jang JY, Lee DH. Effects of oral health promotion program on oral function in the elderly. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management 2016;10(4):141-51. https://doi.org/10.12811/ kshsm.2016.10.4.141
12. Park CS, Park SY. Effects of subjective oral health condition and oral health behavior on happiness in the elderly people. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(3):443-50. https://doi.org/ 10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.443
13. Yoon YS, Kwon YO. The present and prospect of geriatric denture prosthetic dentistry affairs among community dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2006;6(4):255-61.
14. Atchison KA, Dolan TA. Development of the geriatric oral health assessment index. J Dent Edu 1990;54:680-7.
15. Lawton MP, Kent DP, Kastenbaum R, Sherwood S. Research, planning and action for the elderly: the power and potential of social science. New York: Behavioral Publications; 1972: 144-65.
16. Ryu K, Kim JH, Kang YW, Rie Ji. A validation study of the Korean version of philadelphia geriatric center for morale scale. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society 2012;32(1): 207-22.
17. Kim HJ, Lee YK. A study of the oral health status and the need of oral management of elderly. JKDH 2009;9(4):824-35.
18. Choi HS, Moon HK, Kim HY, Choi JS. Evaluation of the health status and dietary intakes of the elderly in rural areas by dental status. J Korean Diet Assoc 2010;16(1):22-38.
19. Baek JU. The effect of eating habits and oral health practices of the countryside female elders on their oral conditions[Doctoral dissertation]. Daegu: Univ. of Daegu Haany, 2010.
20. Lee UH, Chun JH, Lee JH. Oral health-related quality of life improvements and satisfaction in South Korea: Results from the national health insurance coverage denture project for the elderly. JKAOH 2015;39(10):37-42. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2015.39.1.37
21. Yun HK, Lee JH, Lee SH. Partial denture prosthesis implant and necessity thereof in Korean elderly: analysis of the data from the 5th national health nutrition survey(2010-2012). Journal of Digital Convergence 2014;12(6):467-9. https://doi.org/10.14400/jdc.2014.12.6.467
22. Jin HJ, Kim DK, Park DY , Kim, BI, Song KB, Choi YH. Prevalence of demand for dentures in Korean elderly receiving governmental support funds. JKAOH 2012;36(2):106-14.
23. Jeong HJ, Jaung AH, Kim HJ. A study on the general health status related hypertension and oral health status of rural elder. Journal of the Korea Academia Industrial 2011;12(11):4852-60. https://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2011.12.11.4852
24. Park JR, Kim HY. The effect of need of oral health management to oral health impact profile among elderly over 65 years. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(6):961-71.