Department of Dental Hygiene, Dongnam Health University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Daejeon Institute of Science and Technology2
Objectives: This study was carried out for the purpose of examining the levels of vocational awareness and the professional ethics recognition in the clinical dental hygienists. Methods: A survey was conducted targeting 500 members who participated in the supplementary education program for dental hygienists in the first half of 2017. Total 328 subjects’ materials were analyzed. Results: A reason for working in terms of the occupational identity was very high with 81.4% in ‘aiming to earn money’. A goal of working was the highest with 41.5% in ‘financial independence’. The professional ethics approach level was indicated to be the highest with 3.33 points in the domain of human relation. It was shown to be in order of the job satisfaction level with 3.21 points, followed by the lifelong working with 3.17 points, the vocational ethics observance with 2.95 points, the workplace satisfaction level with 2.82 points, and the job anxiety level with 2.65 points. The domain in the job anxiety level according to general characteristics was indicated to be significantly high in the higher age and work career in case of the married and in case of Seoul as a workplace. The domain in the professional ethics observance was shown to be significantly high in the higher work career in case of the married and in case of Gyeonggi Province as a workplace. The domain in the lifelong working was indicated to be significantly high in case of the married. Conclusions: For the establishment of the right professional ethics as a dental hygienist and for the securement of its practice starting from the education for the dental hygiene department, the development of educational program will be needed aiming at the approach to the professional ethics and the reinforcement in the vocational ethics recognition.
1. Lim MH. A study on the awareness of dental hygiene freshmen of major and occupation. J Dent Hyg Sci 2006;6(4):277-84.
2. Korea Employment Classification, 2005.
3. Statistics Korea; 2011.[cited 2012 January 16]. Available from: https://kostat.go.kr/portal/ korea/kor_ nw/ 3/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=252533
4. Park JE, Kim SA, Park YD. Professionalism identity and related factors of dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(4):609-15. https://doi.org/10.13065/ jksdh.2016.16.04.609
5. Moon YS. Advertising business ethics : college students’ perception vs. advertising professionals J Korean Advertising 2001;12(1):83-101.
6. Cheon SH, Lee HY, Cho MS. The relationship between vocational calling and ethical inclination in clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(6):813-20. https://doi.org/10. 13065/jksdh. 2014.14.06.813
7. Moon MY, Jeon MK, Jeong AH. Relationship between nurses’ consciousness of biomedical ethics, job satisfaction and nursing performance. J Korean Bioethics Assoc 2013;4(1):27-47.
8. Kim YS, Park HS. A study on work environment and job satisfation of dental hygienists in Daegu and Gyeongsangbuk-do. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(6):600-6.
9. Moon AE. The relationship between working environment factors and stress and muscu-loskeletal disorders in dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(4):472-9. https://doi.org/10.17135/ jdhs.2015.15.4.472
10. Youn HJ, Park YN, Ha MO. A study on factors affecting the job satisfaction of dental hygienists in Gwangju. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Edu 2009;9(4):699-714.
11. ee SS. Professionalism and job satisfaction in dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(4):535-42. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.535
12. Cho HE, Moon IB. The effects of job satisfaction by the optimism, self-efficacy and job stresses of dental hygienists. Korean public Health Res 2014;40(4):121-32.
13. Han SY, Cho YC. Covariance structure analysis on the impact of job stress, fatigue symptoms and job satisfaction on turnover intention among dental hygienists. JKAIS 2016;17(7):629 -40. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.7.629
14. Jang SY, Kim HK. The satisfaction with study majors and professionalism of newly admitted students of dental hygiene. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2015;17(1):21-9.
15. Lee JY. A study on the influential factor of the dental hygienist’s professionalism. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(6):573-81.
16. Kim BS, Choi BH, Kim SY. Work ethic consciousness of incumbent workers. J Career Edu Res 2007;20(1):55-73.
17. Kim YJ. Evaluation of the level of moral development of Korean dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(2):251-61.
18. Korea Employment Information Service. Press release, occupational employment statistics (OES) [Internet]. Korea Employment Information Service.[cited 2015 Oct 05]. Available from: https://www.keis.or.kr/user/extra/main/966/
19. Kim DK, Lee YH. Korean dental students’ occupational values for the dental profession. The Korean Journal of the Human Development 2007;14(4):87-103.
20. Lee HJ. Influence of individuals’ background, work value, and work motivational orientation on work choice certainty. J Korean Edu Psy 2004;18(2):17-33.
21. Samsung Economic Research Institute. Republic of Korea workers to tell the happiness. Seoul: CEO Information; 2013:898.
22. Clase R, Ruiz Quintanilla SA. Initial career and work meanings in seven european countries. Career Dev Q 1994;42:337-52.
23. Lee SJ, Han KS. The ethical propensity, professionalism and ethical job behavior of clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2012;36:238-48.
24. Lee SS. Professionalism and job satisfaction in dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13:535-42.
25. Hwang MY, Oh HY, Won BY. A study on dental hygienists’ job expectation. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12:1138-47.
26. Dick BJ, Duffy RD. Calling and vocation at work: definition and prospects for research and practice. J Couns Psychol 2009;37:424-50.
27. Cho MS, Cheon SH, Kim CS. A study on the relationship between personality type and sense of vocation of clinical dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(5):689-94. https:// doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.689