Graduate School of Dental Hygiene, Yonsei University1
Cheoin-gu Health Center2
Geo-Je Health Center3
Department of Dental Hygiene, Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University4
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to identify the needs of independent dental hygiene practices in the Korean public dental hygienists. Methods: This research was a cross-sectional survey study. 159 Korean public dental hygienists were selected by simple random sampling on March 10, 2017. 133 public dental hygienists were participated, after excluding 26 hygienists who showed insufficient responses. The respondents were asked to select one of the following options to reflect their needs: direct supervision, indirect supervision, and independent dental hygiene practice. Results: The results showed that the public dental hygienists wanted both public oral health practices (62.5%) and assistance in preventive dental treatments (63.4%) to be performed independently. Conclusions: The public dental hygienists were required to independently perform oral health education and fluoride mouth rinsing projects. Dental hygienists should improve their capability of independently practicing dental hygiene first, and then indicators. It should be established and measured to evaluate their competency in this respect. Legal protection should be considered for independent dental hygiene practices.
1. Korea Laws. Medical Law. [Internet]. [cited 2017 Apr 15]. Available from: https://www.law.go.kr/ main.html
2. Korea Health Personnel Licensing Examination Institute. [Internet]. [2017 Apr 15]. Available from: https://www.kuksiwon.or.kr/Publicity/Default.aspx
3. Korea Society of Public Health Dental Hygienists. [Internet]. [cited 2016 Oct 03]. Available from: https://www.kdphs.org/open_first.html
4. Choi JH, Kim CK, Kim WC, Kim SC. Study on dvelopment in professional work of radiological technologists. J Radiol Sci. Technol 2006;29(3):197-210.
5. Lee JW, Park EK. A study on the existing law and direction for revision in the physical therapist. Law Review 38 2010;38(5):393-412.
6. Baek JC, Yang SH. Problems of the physical therapy system of korea and their solutions. Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Association 2011;5(4):138-46. https://doi.org/10. 21184/jkeia.2011.12.5.4.138
7. Jang YE. Multinational comparison of dental hygienists’ scope of work and authorized practices in public oral health [Master's thesis]. Wonju: Univ. of Yonsei, 2017.
8. Johnson M. International profiles of dental hygiene 1987 to 2006: a 21‐nation comparative study. Int Dent J 2009;59(2):63-77. https://doi.org/10.1922/IDJ_2076Johnson15
9. Johnson M. International profiles of dental hygiene 1987 to 2001: A 19‐nation comparative study. Int Dent J 2003;53(5):299-313. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1875-595X.2003.tb00763.x
10. Reinders J, Krijnen W, Onclin P, Schans P, Stegenga B. Attitudes among dentists and dental hygienists towards extended scope and independent practice of dental hygienists. Int Dent J 2017;67(1):46-58. https://doi.org/10.1111/idj.12254
11. Kim SI, Jun MK, Lee SM. Needs of revision of dental hygienist-related medical law. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(5):677-85. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.05.677
12. Choi YR, Seo HY, Ryu EJ, Choi EM. Dental hygienists’ awareness of medical technician jurisprudence. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(6):495-501. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.6.495
13. Kim NH, Han YK, Kim YK, Lim HJ, Kwon YO, Kim HM, et al. Actual job performance of the community dental hygienist. Seoul: Korean dental hygienists association(Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University); 2014: 30-51.
14. Noh HJ, Sin SJ, OH MY, Kim HK, Kim HS, Kim EJ, et al. Community dental hygienist’s current state of work and job realization method. Seoul: Korean dental hygienists association (Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University);2011: 8-11.
15. Fortner H. A CDT code for hygienists. RDH 2008;28(3):28.
16. Adams TL. Inter-professional conflict and professionalization: dentistry and dental hygiene in Ontario. Social Science & Medicine 2004;58(11):2243-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed. 2003.08.011
17. Harris V, Sun N. Dental practitioner concepts of efficiency related to the use of dental therapists. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2012;40(3):247-56. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528. 2012.00670.x
18. Jaecks S. Current perceptions of the role of dental hygienists in interdisciplinary collaboration. American Dental Hygienists Association 2009;83(2):84-91.
19. Catlett V. Attitudes of dental hygienists towards Independent practice and professional autonomy [Doctoral dissertation]. Minneapolis: Univ. of Walden, 2014.