Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Health Science, Gachon University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Suwon Science University2
Department of Dental Hygiene, Shingu University3
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to understand the practices of the dental implant maintenance care according to knowledge and attitude toward dental implant in the dental service consumers. Methods: T-test, ANOVA, and cross tabulation were carried out to understand the knowledge and attitude toward the dental implant, the experiences of the treatments, and the practices of their maintenance care depending on the general characteristics and the oral-health education experience. The collected data were analyzed using by SPSS Windows Program 23.0. Results: The actual state of the implant maintenance care was revealed to be high in the use of oral care products with 83.9% and in the professional maintenance care with 86.0%. In terms of the implant-related experiences, the participation and the participation frequency in the professional maintenance care were resulted to be higher especially in those with more cases of surgical procedures and in those with more failure experiences. Examining the practices of management according to knowledge and attitude toward dental implant, the higher in knowledge and attitude led to the higher uses of oral care products. The periodically professional maintenance care was indicated to be received even if being taken high management cost. Conclusions: Effective education methods and programs are necessary to be developed and executed so that information and knowledge can lead the correct practices in the dental service consumers.
1. Choi HS, Gu IY, Yu EM. A study on implant awareness and attitude to oral hygiene care: the case of dental consumers in seoul and gyeonggi province. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2010; 12:37-45.
2. Levi AL, Psoter WJ, Agar JR, Reisine ST, Taylor TD. Patient self-reported satisfaction with maxillary anterior dental implant treatment. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2003;18(1):113-20.
3. Albrektsson T, Isidor F. Consensus report of session IV. In: Proceedings of the First European Workshop on Periodontology, Albrektsson T, Isidor F, Lang NP, Karring T. London: Quintessence. 1994:365-9. Cited by Park KH, Han KS. The Effects of Professional Tooth Cleaning and Plaque Control Instruction on Reduction of Peri-implantitis. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12:163-70.
4. Lindhe J, Meyle J. Peri-implant dieases: Consensus report of the sixth european workshop on periodontology. J Clin Periodontol 2008;35:282-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2008. 01283.x
5. Zitzmann NU, Berglundh T. Denfinition and prevalence of peri-Implant disease. J Clin Periodontol 2008;35:286-91. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2008.01274.x
6. Sung HM, Kim KK. Treatment of peri-implantitis: cases report. J Korean Assoc Maxillofac plast reconstr surg 2013;35:112-23.
7. Kang BW, Lee SM. Behavior and attitude toward oral health care in implant wearers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14:887-94. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.887
8. Eom MR, Jeong DB, Park DY. Enhanccement of plague control score following individualized repeated instructionl. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009;33:10-8.
9. Kim YS, Oh MJ. The effect of following oral health care on implant patients. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9:491-6.
10. Park DY. A control program of plague and a method of basic self-control at dental clinic. J Korean Dent Assoc 2007;45(1):12-20.
11. Jeon JH, Min HH. Study of maintenance behavior based on the experience of the tooth brushing instruction for implant patient. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;3:403-10.
12. Park KH, Han KS: The Effects of Professional Tooth Cleaning and Plaque Control Instruction on Reduction of Peri-implantitis. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;12(2):163-70.
13. Kim EJ, Kim JY : A study on improvement in quality of life for patients with dental implant treatment . J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010;34(3):430-6.
14. Jo MJ. A research study on dental hygienists’ knowledge of implant operation. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2002;2(1):85-95.
15. Kim HJ, Choi MH. Dental hygienists on dental implantation a study of knowledge and attitudes. Chung-Ang J Nurs 2003;7:57-66.
16. Kim KR. A survey of implant, Korea Consumer Agency, KCA report, 2008:4:1-61.
17. Yu EM. A study on Implant Patients' Satisfaction and Mastication Ability-Compared to Denture Patients [Master’s thesis]. Wonju: Univ. of Yonsei, 2006.
18. Bahat O. Branemark system implants in the posterior maxilla: clinical study of 660 implants followed for 5 to 12 years. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2000;15:646-53.
19. Kim MG, Self-perceived oral health status and associated factors in patients with dental implants [Master's thesis]. Suwon: Univ. of Ajou, 2016.
20. Go EJ, Jang GW. A study on subjective awareness and expectations of implant patients. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10:107-25.
21. Kim MJ, Yang HJ, Lee SY. A comparative study on the oral health status and behavior of among adults. Health and welfare 2012;14:39-58.
22. Kang BW, Lee SM. Awareness of periodontal diseases and implant management among implant wearers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12:759-70.
23. Lee RR. Patients’ perception on dental implant therapy[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2011.