Department of Dental Hygiene, Wonkwang Health Science University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to examine dental hygienists' recognition and experiences about sexual harassment in the workplace and to provide the basic data for their perception improvement, prevention and coping plan about sexual harassment. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 307 dental hygienists who work at dental hospitals and clinics in Jeollabuk-do area, a questionnaire survey was conducted from December 1 to 31, 2016. Results: The 40.7% of study subjects had the experience of sexual harassment. They were identified to have the experiences of verbal sexual harassment (29.6%), physical sexual harassment (27.0%) and visual sexual harassment (22.5%) in order. The factors affecting the experiences of sexual harassment were experience of sexual-harassment education and concept of sexual harassment. Conclusions: A customized sexual prevention education program for dental hygienists will need to be produced, not the universalized sexual prevention education. In addition, it is considered to be necessary to prepare for a program available for being sympathized and understood by all members in the workplace.
1. Naver. Sexual harassment[Internet]. [cited 2017 February 27]. Available from: https://terms. naver.com/entry.nhn?docId=931421&cid=43667&categoryId=43667
2. National Human Rights Commission of Korea. Decisions on recommendation of reform for sexual harassment cases VII. Seoul; National Human Rights Commission of Korea: 2015: 188-94.
3. Statistics Korea. Korean Statistical Information Service(KOSIS), StatisticsDB[Internet]. [cited 2017 May 01]. Available from: https://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ ZTITLE& parmTabId=M_01_01#SubCont
4. Korea employment information service. 2017 Korea occupational outlook, Chapter5 Healthcare Occupations[Internet]. 2017 Korea occupational outlook.[cited 2017 June 7]. https://www.keis. or.kr/user/extra/main/2108/publication/reportList/jsp/LayOutPage.do?categoryIdx=125&pubIdx=3243&reportIdx=4248
5. Kim SI, Jun MK, Kim SM. Needs of revision of dental hygienist-related medical law. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(5):677-85. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.05.677
6. Lee JR, Bae SM, Kim SJ. Influences of job performance of dental hygienists on emotional labor evaluation. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(6):835-47. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh. 2016.16.06.835
7. Oh HJ, Koh HJ. Recognition and experience of sexual harassment of female teachers in middle and high school. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing 2003;17(2):238-54. https://doi. org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.05.677
8. Korean Dental Hygienists Association. 2015 August 13 Journal of dental hygienists association [Internet]. Korean Dental Hygienists Association.[cited 2017 February 28]. Available from: https://www.kdha.or.kr/news/OldMagazineView.aspx.
9. Park GJ, Jung HM, Kim MK. Sexual harassment of nurses in long-term care hospitals. Korean J Health Serv Manag 2014;8(4):95-107. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014.8.4.095
10. Kim YA, Lee YS. Experiences of sexual harassment and coping behaviors of elementary, middle and high school female teachers. Chonnam J Nursing Sci 2013;18(1):1-17.
11. Kim JS, Kim KS, Kim KH. Experience of sexual harassment and coping Behaviors among caregivers in nursing homes. J Korea Gerontol Nurs 2013;15(1):21-31.
12. Lee NY, Kim KS, Lee HJ. Workers` conceptualizations and perceptions of sexual harassment in public institutions. Korean Journal of Soical Welfare Research 2014;41(1):33-58.
13. Kim HC. A study on the experience and prevention policies for sexual harassment in the tourism service industry. Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research 2013;25(8):499-515.
14. Ko JH. The recognition, experience and related factors about sexual harrassment in the workplace of hospital nurses[Master's thesis]. Busan: Univ. of Donga, 2012.
15. Kim ME. A study on damaging experiences, effects, knowledge and coping for sexual harassment of dental hygienist's[Master’s thesis]. Jinju: Univ. of Gyeongsang National, 2015.
16. Yoon HJ. A Study on the reformation of sexual harassment remedy system in the workplace [Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewha womans, 2010.
17. Han JJ. Gender discrimination in the workplace and the regulation effectiveness of gender equality policies[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewha woman, 2002.
18. Kwack BS. The study on the understanding and reality of the sexual harassment in gunsan working places. Law Review 2007;27:305-31.
19. Kim JS, Kim HS, Kim KH. Experience of sexual harassment and coping behaviors among caregivers in nursing homes. J Korean Gerontol Nurs 2013;15(1):21-31.
20. Kim SJ. Awareness levels and influencing factors of sexual harassment among dental hygiene students. J Korea Content Assoc 2015;15(2):352-62. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15. 02.352
21. National Law Information Center, Korean equal employment opportunity law[Internet][cited 2017 May 01]. Available from: https://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=180140&efYd=20160128
22. Lee JY. An inquiry into the realities of sexual harassment of nurse, employed in +u0niversity hospital[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewha womans, 2003.