Kosin University Graduate School1
Department of Dental Hygiene 2
Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine, Kosin University3
Objectives:This study aimed to identify the influences of leader-member exchange (LMX) and psychological empowerment of the dental hygienists on their job satisfaction. Methods: A self-administrated questionnaire survey was conducted from July 7 to August 2014 targeting 196 dental hygienists in Busan and Gyeongsangnam- do. Leader-member relationship, psychological empowerment and job satisfaction were evaluated by LMX scale, psychological empowerment scale and job descriptive index (JDI), respectively. Data were analyzed by descriptive analysis, t-test, one-way ANOVA, and multiple Linear regression analysis. Results: Overall LMX, psychological empowerment on job satisfaction level of subjects were 3.43±0.61, 3.38±0.66 and 3.20±0.42, respectively. The influential factors of LMX, psychological empowerment and job satisfaction were professional respect (subcategory of LMX), affect (subcategory of LMX), meaning (subcategory of psychological empowerment) and impact (subcategory of psychological empowerment). Conclusions: Job satisfaction of dental hygienist is closely related to professional respect, affect, meaning and impact.
1. Jeong SH, An SH, Hong SS, Choe YH, Song GB. Analysis of job satisfaction of dental residents. J Korean Academy of Dental Health 2003;27(3):447-58.
2. Jeong SH, Seo YK, Son EY, Choi YH, Song GB. Analysis of job satisfaction and related factors of dental auxiliaries. J Korean Academy of Dental Health 2005;29(3):281-92.
3. Donovan R. Stress in the workplace; A framework for research and practice. J Social Casework 1987;68(5):259-66.
4. Depue RA, Monroe SM. Conceptualization and measurement of human disorder in life stress research; the problem of chronic disturbance. Psychological Bulletin 1986;99(1):36-51.
5. Mathieu JE, Gilson LL, Ruddy TM. Empowerment and team effectiveness: An empirical test of an integrated model. J Applied Psychology 2006;91(1):97-108.
6. Spreitzer GM. Psychological empowerment in the workplace. Academy of Management J 1995;38(5):1442-65.
7. Spreitzer GM. Social structural characteristics of psychological empowerment. Academy of Management J 1996;39(2):483-504.
8. Dienesch RM, Liden RC. Leader-member exchange model of leaderchip; A Critique and Further Development. Academy of Management J 1986;11(3):618-34.
9. Graen GB, Uhl-Bien M. Relationship-based approach to leadership; development of leader- member exchange(LMX) theory of leadership over 25year; applying a multi-level multi- domain perspective. J The leadership quarterly 1995;6(2):97-247.
10. Howell SG, Lauer J. The ties that bind The impact of leader-member exchange transformational and transactional leadership and distance on predicting follower performance. J Applied Psychology 1999;84(5):680-94.
11. Liden R, Wayne SJ, Stilwell D. A longitudinal study on the early development of leader- member exchanges. J Applied Psychology 1993;78(4):662-74.
12. Golden TB, Veiga JF. The impact of superior-subordinate relationships on the commitment job satisfaction and performance of virtual workers. The Leadership Quarterly 2008;19(1):77-88.
13. Rhodes L, Eisenberger R. Perceived organizational support: A review of the literature. J Applied Psychology 2002;87(4):698-714.
14. Locke EA. What is job satisfaction?.organizational behavior and human performance 1969; 4(4):309-36.
15. Kim RA, Kim IH. A study on relationship among quality of LMX, self-concept and organizational effectiveness. Korean Academy of Organization and Management 2004;28(4):171-213.
16. Seok BI. A study on the effect of exchanging relation between the leader and members(LMX: Leader-Member Exchange) on teamwork, job satisfaction and organizational commitment [Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Seokyeong, 2014.
17. Lee YS. Effect of domestic airline companies' organizational justice on the quality of LMX, empowerment and the service oriented organizational citizenship behavior. The Korean Food Service Association 2014;10(2):81-93.
18. Smith PC, Kendall LM, Hulin CL. The measurement of satisfaction in work and retirement: a strategy for the study of attitudes. 13th ed. Chicago: Rand McNally; 1969;169-176.
19. Lee SK. A study on the effect of job satisfaction on service quality of public health nurses [Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2007.
20. Lee BJ, Park CH, Han SJ. The relationship between lmx, job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and turnover intension. International J Tourism and Hospitality Research 2015; 29(12):211-27.
21. Kim HJ, Jang HR. The effect of empowerment on the job satisfaction, organizational commitment and turnover intention of social worker. The Korean Society for Public Personnel Administration 2015;14(3):167-90.
22. Park JS. The relationship of organizational and job characteristics, empowerment, job satisfaction and organization commitment perceived by hospital administrative staffs . Korean Academy of Health Policy and Management 2004;14(1):65-88.
23. Graen G, Novak MA, Sommerkamp P. The effects of leader-member exchange and job design on productivity and satisfaction: Testing a dual attachment model. Organizational Behavior and Human Performance 1982;30(1):109-31.
24. Baure TN, Erdogan B, Liden RC, Wayne SJ. A longitudinal study of the moderating role of extraversion: leader-member exchange, performance, and turnover during new executive development. J Applied Psychology 2006;91(2):298-310.
25. Rhee TS, Lee BK. The relationship among leader-member exchange, member’s maturity and organizational effectiveness. J professional management 2009;12(1):69-90.
26. Spreitzer GM, Kizilos MA, Nason SW. A dimensional analysis of the relationship between psychological empowerment and effectiveness satisfaction, and strain. J Management 1997; 23(5):679-704.
27. Sin KH. Study on the effects of empowerment on the job satisfaction and organization commitment. J Secretarial Science 2002;11(2):125-44.
28. Kim JK, Lee YT. The impact of psychological empowerment on the job satisfaction. Korea J Business Administration 2002;31:323-47.
29. Choi HC. A study on the moderating effect of negative affectivity of employed with mental illness on the relation between psychological empowerment and job satisfaction. J Vocational Rehabilitation 2009;19(2):169-93.