Department of Dental Hygiene, Shinhan University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to provide a satisfactory and reliable dental care service for the patients and to establish a plan to raise the perception about dental infection control. Methods: The perception of infection control in the dental clinic of the patients was examined who visited to dental clinics, over 20 years old and living in Seoul and Gyeonggi province since December 2016. The questionnaire was used as the survey tool, and 274 questions in the questionnaire were analyzed. Results: Results of examined factors affecting the perception of dental infection control in dental clinics show that the perception of infection control in dental clinics is affected by the degree of university graduates (p<0.05), full-time workers (p<0.01), housewives (p<0.001), and oral health concerns (p<0.05), the perception of infection control of dental medical personnel (p<0.001) in order. Conclusions: Dental medical personnels must thoroughly wash their hands, wear uniforms, wear personal protective equipment, and thoroughly clean and disinfect the interior of a dental clinic.
1. Hwang JH. Knowledge and compliance with infection control among dental hygienists [Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2008.
2. Lee YA, Jo MA, Bae JY, Park HS. A study on practice of infection control among dental staffs in dental office. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(4):263-9.
3. Yun JH. A survey of perception of medical customer’s about dental infection control [Master’s thesis]. Iksan: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2013.
4. Yu BH. Introduction to dental hygiene. Seoul: Yonsei university publishing co.; 2007:975-85.
5. Kook YH, Park JG, Lee YC, Lee HH. Infection and nurse. Seoul: Hanmi medicine; 2000:5-72.
6. Ellen Roberta Dietz, Raula Badavinac. Safety standards and infection control for dental hygienists. Seoul: Koonja publishing co.;2007:4.
7. Oh SK. Practice of infection control at the dental treatment rooms. J Korean Dent Assoc 1995;33(3):184-7.
8. Lee JH. A survey of cognition on infection control of the clients in dental hospital. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(2):249-60.
9. Yim HK. Patient’s perception of infection control in dental health-care settings [Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2008.
10. MBC PD note. Dangerous secret of dental clinic. 2006. 5. 23.
11. Kim JY, Lee GR. Choosing patterns for dental care institutions among community people. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2006;12(1):49-55.
12. Choi YH. A study on the primary factors in the selection of dental medical organizations. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2006;6(3):229-42.
13. Lee YK, Kim SD. About dentistry infection from dentistry medical institution recognition research of patient. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(4):617-25.
14. Bae MR, Chun JH, Lee JH. Analysis of selection criteria of consumers for dental clinic. J Korea Cont Soc 2013;13(3):271-7.
15. Woo SH, Joo EJ. A study on personal protection equipment for Infection control at dental offices. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(3):459-64.
16. Nam YS, Yoo JS, Park MS. A study on actual conditions for prevention of infections by dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2007;7(1):1-6.
17. Eom S, Kim GW. Infection control realities and relevant factors in dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(2):379-89.
18. Bae MR. Cognition and performance on infection control of the clients and staffs in dental healthcare[Master’s thesis]. Kimhe: Univ. of Inje, 2011.