Department of Dental Laboratory Technology, Suseong College1
Department of Dental Technology, Daegu Health College2
Department of Dental Hygiene, Andong Science College3
Objectives: This study aimed at helping oral health prevention of the blind and related management plan, which is defined as the influence factors between missing and filled permanent teeth index and general feature and oral health behavior of the blind in Korea (estimates 229,678 persons) using data of the 6th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey from 2014 Korea Centers For Disease Control and Prevention. Methods: The blind over the age of 30 were selected as study subjects who have conducted health survey and dental inspections in KNHANES VI-2. Estimates of the subjects were 229,67 persons. For analyzing data, general linear models: GLM and covariance analysis were conducted to identify the relation between general feature and oral health behavior and missing and filled permanent teeth index. SPSS 21 statistical program was used, which is possible to conduct complex sampling design, and the significance level was 0.05. Results: The missing and filled permanent teeth index was 8.58 points. Regarding the results of the analysis, R-squared of the missing and filled permanent teeth index depending on general features of the blind was 0.839 points, which shows gender, age, residence, education level, individual income, disability rating, kinds of health insurance, marital status and recipient of basic living had an effect on the missing and filled permanent teeth index. R2 of the missing and filled permanent teeth index depending on oral health form of the blind was 0.728 points, which shows oral examination, dental treatment, smoking and toothbrushing after lunch had an effect on the missing and filled permanent teeth index. Conclusions: With the result of this study, we found the oral health actual condition of the blind in Korea. Therefore, it is considered that the government needs to introduce the personalized oral health education program to maintain oral health of the blind and to develop a program that uses braille and voice device which enables to access and utilize to improve oral health behavior that the government could use it as a reference to establish the policy plan.
1. Shim JW, Han SH. Preventive health examination, health behavior, and psychological health in visual disabilities. J Korean Ophthalmol Soc 2012;53(12):1870-8. https://doi.org/10.3341/ jkos.2012.53.12.1870
2. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs(2014), “Health and welfare statistics, social welfare: survey on the disabled 2014”. [Internet]. [cited 2016 October 12]. https://data.kihasa.re.kr/ db/subject_view.jsp?grp_seq=64&project_seq=321
3. Employment Development Institute, “Disabled statistics 2015”. [Internet]. [cited 2016 October 3]. https://www.kead.or.kr/webzine/ibook/ttsbook/stakead2015/book.html.
4. Disabled Welfare Law enforcement regulations, “Disability rating tables”. [Internet]. [cited 2016 October 10]. https://www.lawnb.com/lawinfo/contents_view.asp?cid=BE514526B5644 8048E56E88D68788F0F|0|K
5. Nyman SR, Gosney MA, Victor CR. Psychosocial impact of visual impairment in working-age adults. Br J Ophthalmol 2010;94:1427-31.
6. Brody BL, Roch-Levecq AC, Gamst AC, Maclean K, Kaplan RM, Brown SI. Self-management of age-related macular degeneration and quality of life: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Ophthalmol 2002;120:1477-83
7. Kang JG, Kim RK. An analysis of the recent study trend of visual impairments. Korean J Visual Impairment 2011;27(4):103-33.
8. Jeon HS, Kim YN, Choi YH, Chung WG, Kim BL, Lee KH, et al. Utilization of dental service and oral hygiene behavior in Korean disabled adults. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007; 31(1):73-82.
9. Bae MJ, Hwang SH, Kim SA, Lee JY, Yoon JA, Park JH, et al. Related factors of oral health-related quality of life in the severely disabled people. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(3):461-75. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.461
10. Bak SH. Survey on the use of literacy media and optical aids by degree of visual disability or onset of vision loss among students in Korean schools for the blind. Korean J Visual Impairment 2011;27(4):21-37.
11. Ministry of Health and Welfare, “The fifth Korea national health and nutrition examination survey (KNHANES V-6), Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare”. 2014.
12. Ministry of Health and Welfare, “National health statistics: The fifth Korea national health and nutrition examination survey (KNHANES V-6)”. Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2014.
13. Kim YN, Song YS, Choi EJ, Kim YS, Choi EM. An analysis of the associated factors which influence DMFT index of the primary school children`s in Pocheon city. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(1):113-26.
14. Moon HJ, Kim SA, Park HJ. Association between dental caries experience and performance of the dietary action guides among the special school for students of disability, J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(6):1193-202.
15. Kim YN, Jeong SH, Lee YE, Song KB, Lee KH, Chung WG, et al. The status of dental caries experience in korean disabled people. J Korean Dis Oral Health 2006;2(1):10-6.
16. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Based on data of 2010 national oral health survey, Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2010.
17. Choi YH, Lee JH, Lee SG. Geographical disparities for oral health status in Korean adults. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009;33(2):243-53.
18. Kim HJ, Park CM, Woo KH, Lee ES, Lee JR, Ha EK. A Study on oral health status and factors related with oral health among industrial workers. J Korean Public Health Assoc 2002; 28(2):158-67.
19. Kang JG, Kim RK. An analysis of the recent study trend of visual impairments. Korean J Visual Impairment 2011;27(4):103-33.
20. Lee WY. The Role of selected health-related behaviors in the socioeconomic disparities in oral health among adults. J Korean Soc Health Educ Promot 2009;26(1):129-40.
21. Sabbah W, Tsakos G, Sheiham A, Watt RG. The role of health-related behaviors in the socioeconomic disparities in oral health. Soc Sci Med 2009;68(2):298-303.
22. Jin HJ, Jung EK, Lee YE, Song KB. Cognition of dental caries prevention by the level of the social economic status in Korea: based on gallup survey. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(1):39-46. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.01.39
23. Bak SH. Survey on the use of literacy media and optical aids by degree of visual disability or onset of vision loss among students in Korean schools for the blind. Korean J Visual Impairment 2011;27(4):21-37.
24. Shim HS, Kim SS, Kim JH. Influencing factors of non-utilization of dental care among adults in Korea: Using 2012 Korean National Health and Nutrition Survey. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(5):823-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.823
25. Lee SY. The association of dietary habits and socioeconomic factors in dental caries in Korean adults from the 2001 Korean national examination health and nutrition survey. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2010;12(4):349-66.
26. Jung YJ, Cho MH, Moon DH. Influencing factors to dental caries and periodontal diseases in Korean adults. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(1):47-54. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015. 15.01.47
27. Jeon JE, Chung WG, Kim NH. Determinants for dental service utilization among. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2011;35(4):441-9.
28. Ministry of Health & Welfare. National survey for people with disability in Korea 2011. survey results. Seoul: Ministry of Health & Welfare. 2012.
29. Ministry of Health & Welfare, “Korea Centers for disease control and prevention. Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES Ⅳ-1)”. Sejong: Korea Centers for disease control and prevention. 2010.
30. Kim YH. Factors that influence the oral health status between Korean adults living in Korea and the US. 2013;13(4):597-604. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.597
31. Shin SJ, Ahn YS, Jung SH. Public health dentistry : The relation between dental health behaviors and socioeconomic status among Korean adolescents. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008;32(2):223-30.