Department of Dental Hygiene, Chungcheong University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Dongnam Health University2
This study analyzed the views, awareness and performance of vocational ethics of dental hygienists employed in health centers.A survey was conducted on 197 dental hygienists who attended the National Health Association job training session. SPSS WIN 22.0 was used to analyze the results.The vocational ethics that dental hygienists valued the most was integrity, followed by expertise and integrity. The awareness level of vocational ethics was 93.3% and observance level was 97.4%. The methods of information gathering were 34.5% ‘off-the-job training’ and 34.0% for ‘at work or employment SOP’ The highest of vocational ethics performance was responsibility, marked 4.25. Significant differences were observed in fairness, cooperation and vocation between different general characteristics such as age, employment history, marital status, work region, and major responsibilities It is necessary to evaluate the vocational ethics performance of dental hygienists based in health centers in order to develop programs for ethical guidelines and institutional principles to help decision making.
1. Kim YJ. Evalution of the leel of moral deelopment of Korean dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(2):251-61.
2. Hall RH. Professionalization and bureaucratization. American Sociollogical Review 1968; 33(1):92-104.
3. Kim GH. Diskussionen auf die praxismoglichkeit der berufsethischen bildung im verhaltnis der interdisziplinaren wissenschaft. JTPE 2002;7(2):97-115.
4. Oh DS. DISC action type and relationships and organizational effectiveness: In “S” department store sales promotion[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Korea, 2009.
5. Kim BS, Choi BH, Kim SY. Work ethic consciousness of incumbent workers. J Career Edu Res 2007;20(1):55-73.
6. Kim YE, Choi Y. The effects of the emotional labor of social care service workers on their evaluation of service quality. Social Welfare Policy 2011;38(4):217-37.
7. Lee SJ, Han GS. The ethical propensity, professionalism and ethical job behavior of clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2012;36(3):238-48.
8. Lee SS. Professionalism and job satisfaction in dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(4):535-42. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.535
9. Moon MY, Jeon MK, Jeong AH. Relationship between nurses’ consciousness of biomedical ethics, job satisfaction and nursing performance. J Korean Bioethics Assoc 2013;4(1):27-47.
10. Yun HW, Lee JM. Perceptions about the professional ethics of EMT. Fire Sci Eng 2014; 28(1):71-8.
11. Cha SH, Kim HG. The impact of dental technicians work ethic level on the organizational effectiveness in Daegu area. J Korean Acad Dent Tech 2015;37(2):79-94. https://doi.org/ 10.14347/kadt.2015.37.2.79
12. Kim CH, Lee HY, Lee SM. Clinical dental hygienist’s ethical dilemma and professionalism. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(4):345-52.
13. Yang SK. Vocational competency constituents affecting the professionalism of dental hygienists. JKAIS 2015;16(10):6558-66. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.6558
14. Jang SY, Kim HK. The satisfaction with study majors and professionalism of newly admitted students of dental hygiene. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2015; 17(1): 21-8.
15. Park JE, Kim SA, Park YD. Professionalism identity and related factors of dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(4):609-15. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.04.609
16. Cheon SH, Lee HY, Cho MS. The relationshop between vocational calling and ethical inclination in clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(6):813-20. https://doi.org/10.13065/ jksdh.2014.14.06.813
17. Lee SJ, Han GS. Relationship between self-concept and ethical propensity of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(5):503-10.
18. Cha SH, Kim HG. The impact of dental technicians work ethic level on the organizational effectiveness in Daegu area. J Korean Acad Dent Tech 2015;37(2):79-94. https://doi.org/ 10.14347/kadt.2015.37.2.79