Department of Dental Hygiene, Howon University1
This study was performed to provide a reference base to establish foundation for education about dental hygienist-related medical law and introduction of the system.A survey was conducted on 210 dental hygienists working at a dental clinic/ hospital in Jeollado. Data were analysed through chi-square test, one-way ANOVA, independent t-test, and Pearson’s correlation analysis using SPSS 21.0 program. The study instruments included general characteristics of the subjects, knowledge on laws related to dental hygiene, attitude towards dental hygienist-related medical laws, level of understanding of medical related laws, and medical dispute educational hours.The knowledge of dental hygienist-related medical law was high in dental hygienists aged 25 years and younger and with less than 3 years of clinical experience (p<0.05). The attitude towards the law was low in age of younger than 25 years, a three year college degree, a job position as a staff member, more than 5 years of work experience at present work place, and less than 3 years of clinical experience (p<0.05). Understanding of medical related laws was high in clinical staff members and with less than 3 years of clinical experience (p<0.05). Educational needs for medical dispute prevention was high in a job position as a staff member, low level of attitude towards dental hygienist-related medical law, and no attainment of education on medical dispute (p<0.05). The above results demonstrate that education and public relations about laws related with dental hygiene practice are essential. It is imperative to establish a systematic and bureaucratic legal system to prevent dental malpractice.
1. 1372Consumer counselling center. Survey of october 2014 consumer counselling trend. Seoul: Korea consumer agency; 2014: 10.
2. Yoon M. Dental implant surgery-related medical consumer protection. In: 2014 Discussion for prevention of dental conflict. Seoul: Korea medical dispute mediation and arbitration agency; 2014: 98.
3. Korea medical dispute mediation and arbitration agency. Medical dispute mediation and arbitration statistical yearbook 2015. Seoul: Korea medical dispute mediation and arbitration agency; 2016: 30.
4. Kim SN, Lee HS, Kwon MH. Causes and preventive methods of medical accidents in dental office. J Korean Dent Assoc 2000;38(11):1082-9.
5. Cha YU, Kwon JS, Choi JH, Kim CY. The analysis of the current status of medical accident and dispute researched in the Korean web sites. Korean J Oral Med 2006;31(4):297-316.
6. Gwon MI. Analysis and prevention of 148 medical accidents. In: the realities of medical accidents. Seoul: Gunja Publishing; 2011: 983.
7. Kim SJ. Medical malpractice suits law. Seoul: Pakyoungsa; 2005: 38.
8. Kwon BK, Ahn HJ, Kang JK, Kim CY, Choi JH. The jurisdictional precedent analysis of medical dispute in dental field. Korean J Oral Med 2006;31(4):283-96.
9. Jo YY. Analysis of the medical dispute cases of obstetrics and gynecology area. Yonsei J 2000;32:271-310.
10. Kim BN. A survey on malpractice accidents and disputes concerned with dental hygienists in the seoul and gyeonggi province. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8(1):13-20.
11. Lee SM, Lim MH, Han MS. The analysis on the perception of medical accident and dispute of dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8(4):241-6.
12. Oh JH, Kwon JS, Ahn HJ, Kang JK, Choi JH. A survey on the perception of the counterplans of medical accident and dispute of dental hygienist. J Oral Med Pain 2007;32(1):9-33.
13. Yang EM, Park SJ, Kim HJ. The experience of medical conflict and the educational needs of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(3):361-8. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.3.361
14. Kim SL, Jun MK, Lee SM. Needs of revision of dental hygienist-related medical law. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(5):677-85. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.05.677
15. Yang EM. The experience of medical conflict and the educational needs of dental hygienists [Master’s thesis]. Busan: Univ. of Inje, 2014.
16. Mun HJ, Lee MA. A study of nurses’ knowledge, attitude on the nurses’ law and nurses’ perception on the causes, coping patterns with the nursing accidents. J Korean Public Health Nurs 1999;13(1):41-62.
17. Tyler RW. Basic principles of curriculum and instruction. Chicago: Univ. of Chicago Press; 2013: 26-7.
18. Lee DJ, Han SJ. Influence of perceived patient safety culture on patient safety management activity in the dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(6):863-77. https://doi.org/ 10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.06.863
19. Kim SJ. A review on utilization of dental hygienist professionals[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Chungang, 2013.