Department of Dental Hygiene, Masan University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Silla University2
This study was conducted to promote the value of field practice courses by installing an efficient field practice program through understanding the relationship between career decision/ behavior and the pre-/post satisfaction of dental hygiene students in field practice.The subjects of the study were students in Gyeongnam and Busan majoring in dental hygiene, from which 218 questionnaires were obtained from 23 November 2015 to 30 July 2016. In terms of career decision/ behavior, the post-satisfaction scores in ideas about their major, about whether it was helpful to selecting their speciality and positive impression of dental hygienists, interest and understanding in training course were significantly lower than the pre-satisfaction scores (p<0.05). Relationship between satisfaction in field training and career decision/ behavior following the field training, pre-/post-satisfaction on site-training content (r=0.371, p<0.01), pre-/post satisfaction in training instructions (r=0.267, p<0.01), and pre-/post-satisfaction in the training sites (r=0.436, p<0.01) were all proportionally correlated to the after-training career decision and behavior. It is necessary for training instructors to maintain close relationships with the students in field practice program courses. In advance, it is expected to promote students’ satisfaction in field practice and serve as a starting point where students can build self-esteem as a future dental hygienist by positively influencing their career decisions and behaviors.
1. Jacqueline AJ, Lynn S. Advocacy for the provision of dental hygiene service within the hospital setting: Development of a dental hygiene student rotation. J Evid Base Dent Pract 2016;16:129-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jebdp.2016.01.023
2. Won BY, Jang GW, Hwang MY, Jang JH. Analysis on the current status of clinical practice and training in dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(6):993-1007.
3. Oh HS. Study on the teaching efficiency and satisfaction levels of clinical practice instructors during clinical practice training for some dental hygienists and students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(5):777-86. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.777
4. Yang JS. A study on the clinical practice satisfaction of dental hospital by dental hygiene students. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2000;24(3):205-15.
5. Hong SM, Han JH, Kim HK, Ahn YS. A study on the stress of clinical practice, stress coping and somatization for dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(2):219-24.
6. Cho MS, Kim CS. The relationship between the satisfaction levels of education and clinical practice in the dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(5):649-58. https://doi. org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.649
7. Ko SJ, Kang SS, Kim CS, Choi SY, Kim JH. Study on clinical practice satisfaction by students in department of radiologic science. J Korean Soc Radiol 2011;34(4):287-96.
8. Song JH, Kim MW. Study on clinical education for nursing in hospital in korea. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2013;19(2):251-64. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.251
9. Jacobson MD. Effect and ineffective behavior of teachers of nursing as determined by their students. Nur Res 1996;15(3):218-24.
10. Lee MJ, Kim KM, Lee JS, Lee TY, Kang DH, Lee KS, et al. The curret fieldwork affiliation status of the occupational therapy education programs in korea. J Korean Soc Occup Therapy 2004;12(2):105-17.
11. Park JH, Lee MJ, Goo HJ. Satisfaction towards clinical training institution according to clinical practice contents in the dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(4):631-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.04.631
12. Seong MG, Hwang SH, Kang HK, Jang KA. Influencing factors on satisfaction of clinical practice field in dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(3):391-9. https://doi. org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.03.391
13. Park MY. A study on the satisfaction and stress factor of clinical practice for students in the department of dental hygiene. J Dent Hyg Sci 2006;6(4):243-9.
14. Choi KO, Jo HS, Kim JY, Kim BY, Jang SJ. The teaching effectiveness of preceptorship and satisfaction of student for clinical practice on nursing education. J Korean Acad Nurs 2002; 8(1):73-83.
15. Lee JH, Jeon ES. A study on cause of stress experienced by part students of dental hygiene department during clinical traning. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(1):137-43.
16. Lee YG. Effects of a blended learning orientation program for clinical practicums of nursing students. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2008;14(1):30-7.
17. Lee KH. Nediation effect of clinical practice satisfaction in the relationship between nursing students’ powerlessness and nursing image. J East-West Nurs Res 2010;16(1):26-34.
18. Lee SH, Kim SY, Kim JA. Nursing students’ image of nurse and satisfaction with clinical practice. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2004:10:219-31.
19. Han YK, Kim HH. The effects of clinical practice satisfaction on image of dental hygienists in dental students. J Korean Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(4):457-64.
20. Chae MJ, Jung HJ. Mediating effect of satisfaction with clinical practice on the relation between satisfaction with major and career preparation behavior of nursing students. J Korean Health Serv Manage 2016;10(3):213-22. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2016.10.3.213
21. Lim KM, Jo EJ. Influence of satisfaction with clinical practice and image of nurses on nursing professionalism of nursing students. J Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Soc 2016;17(4): 556-66. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.556