Department of Dental Hygiene, Shinhan Universit1
The purpose of this study was to investigate how wisdom tooth extraction is perceived, and to correct erroneous perceptions thereby establishing proper awareness.We conducted a survey on how wisdom tooth extraction was perceived among adults in 20 households in Seoul and Gyeonggi province starting in December, 2016.A review of the factors influencing the perception of wisdom tooth extraction showed that the regression model was statistically significant and the model had an explanatory power of 8.3%. It was also found that those in their 20s or younger had saw a lower level of perceived oral health, and a higher level in perception in wisdom tooth extraction. Moreover, students, housewives, and professions showed a lower perception of wisdom tooth extraction. It is necessary to have an education program for adults aged 60 or older who have few opportunities for oral health education.
1. Naver knowledge encyclopedia. wisdom tooth[Internet]. [cited 2016 Dec 31]. Available from: http://terms.naver.com/entry.nhn?docId=938780&mobile&cid=51006&categoryId=51006#TABLE_OF_CONTENT1
2. Mun HJ, Kim SH, Mun AE, Lee KH, Jung YS, Jeong HJ, et al. Dental morphology. 2nd ed. Seoul: Daehannarae publishing Co; 2015: 220.
3. Oh HS. The Anxiety in patients undergoing third molar extraction[Master’s thesis]. Gimhae: Univ. of Inje, 2007.
4. Hasan G, Osman A, Kamil G, Ulku G, Yildiz G. Anxiety and extraction of third molar in Turkish patients. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2004;42(6):551-4.
5. Hiroshi Y, Kojiro O, Masashi H, Sakiko T, Hiromi T, Sachiko F, et al. Anxiety measurements in university students undergoing third molar extraction. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2004;98(1):23-7.
6. Oh HS, Han SJ, Zang JM, Lee HK, Shim JC, Kim WH. The Anxiety in patients undergoing third molar extraction. J Korean Assoc Oral & Maxillofac Surg 2007;33(4):375-80.
7. Cho YH. A study on the effect of music listening on pre-extraction anxiety of extraction patients [Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Sookmyung Women’s, 2000.
8. de Jongh A, Olff M, van Hoolwerff H, Aartman IH, Broekman B, Lindauer R, et al. Anxiety and post-traumatic stress symptoms following wisdom tooth removal. Behav Res Ther 2008; 46(12):1305-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brat.2008.09.004
9. Li ZB, Qu HL, Zhou LN, Tian BM, Chen FM. Influence of non-impacted third molars on the pathologies of adjacent second molars: a retrospective study. J Periodontol 2016 Dec;15:1-11.
10. Won YS, Park SY. Influences of health behaviors and perceived oral symptoms on subjective oral health status. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(5):787-95.
11. Lee KH, Kim SR, Gu JH, Kim CJ, Choi DH. Relationship between dental fear and subjective oral healthrelated quality of life. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(4):695-703.