Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Health Science, Shinhan University1
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect subjective symptoms of malocclusion has on the patient’s quality of life related to oral health. Methods: A self-administered survey was conducted on adults aged 20 years, with a total of 308 copies of the response sheets analyzed. The degree of subjective symptoms of malocclusion was highest in the group of those in their 20s when looked at across different age groups, and those who had a final education of middle school. In addition, the quality of life related to oral health was the highest in middle school graduates and among those in Gyeonggi province. The degree of malocclusion symptom according to oral health behavior was highest in 1-2 weeks of drinking when smoking in a smoking state, and quality of life related to oral health was higher in smokers than in non-smokers. The greater the subjective symptoms of malocclusion, the lower the quality of life related to oral health. It was found that the subjective symptoms of malocclusion decreased quality of life related to oral health. As such, quality of life related to oral health can be improved through aesthetic and functional improvement efforts to decrease the subjective symptoms of malocclusion.
1. Choi JY. Urban development and conflict management policy. Seoul: Mirae Munhwasa; 1998: 1-314.
2. Yoon SU, Oh NR, Jung MA. Effect of orthodontics patients’ orthodontics characteristics on the living quality related to oral health (OHIP). J Korea Cont Assoc 2014;14(3):250-8.
3. Lee KR. Focus on middle and high school students in Seoul = A study on the effects of physical attractiveness on sociality. J Student Guidance 1998;11:1-18.
4. Kim YJ. Effects of liposuction on body image, self-esteem and satisfaction with outcomes [Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2006.
5. Hong JH. Good teeth care is sufficient enough to change one’s impression. Seoul: Pampas; 2007: 210-1.
6. Orthodontics. 3rd ed. Seoul: KMS; 2014: 1-289.
7. Jenny J. A social perspective on need and demand for orthodontic treatment. Int Dent J 1975; 25:248-56.
8. Shaw WC, O’Brien KD, Richmind S, Brook P. Quality control in orthodontics: risk/benefit considerations. British Dental J 1991;170:7-33.
9. WHO QOL Group. The world health organization quality of life assessment position paper from the world health organization. Soc Sci Med 1995;41(10):1403-9.
10. Jung MH, Heo W, Baek SH. Effects of malocclusion on the self-esteem of female university students. Korean J Orthod 2008;38(6):388-96.
11. Park KH. Comparison of self-esteem between orthodontic patients and general dentists[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewha Womans, 2007.
12. Slade GD. Derivation and validation of a short-form oral health impact profile. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1997;25(4):284-90.
13. Kang JM. Effect of Malocclusion or orthodontic treatment on oral health quality of life[Doctoral dissertation]. Iksan: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2012.
14. Inglehart MR, Bagramian RA. Oral health-related quality of life. Chicago: Quintessence. 2002; 1-6.
15. Van der Geld P, Oosterveld P, Van Heck G, Kuijpers-Jagtman AM. Smile attractiveness. self-perception and influence on personality. Angle Orthod 2007;77:759-65.
16. Min KJ, Do JA. The influence of Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP) on self-esteem of patients during orthodontic treatment. Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Sociey (KAIS). 2009; 10:1773-8.
17. Oh HN. Effects of malocclusion severity levels in adults on quality of life[Master’s thesis]. Cheonan: Univ. of Dankook, 2014.
18. Lee EG, Park JH, Park JR, Park JY. A study on OHIP-14 and EQ-5D of residents in some rural areas. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(2):197-211.
19. Kwon SJ, Kang JH, Kim NJ, Kim RJ, Kim SY, Kim SI, et al. Relationships between dietary behaviors with smoking, drinking situations and subjective health status of University students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(2):145-53.
20. Lee HS. Effects of smoking on oral health: Preliminary evaluation for long term study[Master’s thesis]. Cheonan: Univ. of Dankook, 2012.