Department of Dental Hygiene, Shin-han University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Silla University2
The objective of the study was to investigate the oral health index in orthodontic patients by dividing the patients into two groups; the OHCP (Oral Health Care Program)group and the control group. Methods: The subjects in Busan were divided into two groups, including the OHCP group (205 patients) and the control group (119 patients), during orthodontic treatment that took place from October 2015 to October 2016. The oral health index was subdivided into three groups according to the oral interest level of the OHCP and control groups. The oral health index used was Simplified Oral Hygiene Index (S-OHI) and Community Periodontal Index of Treatment Needs (CPITN). When the degree of oral interest was compared, he OHCP group before application and after application saw a significant difference (p<0.001) in all the variables except the S-DI. Meanwhile, the control group saw no significant difference in most variables. after OHCP application, The OHCP group was significant differences in all variables (p<0.001), and the control group was no significant difference in most variables. Oral hygiene management for orthodontic patients should be systematically and professionally programmed differently from that for general dental treatment patients. As such, dental hygienists should take this into consideration and proactively develop and research programs similar to OHCP for orthodontic patients.
1. Kim YJ, Ha HJ, Lee SJ, Lee EH, Ryu JJ. Digital orthodontics using customized appliance system. J Korean Dent Assoc 2016;54(2):134-41.
2. Lim SH. Digital fabrication and application of clear aligner after alignment with NiTi archwires. J Korean Dent Assoc 2016;54(7):551-62.
3. Lee SW. Preference for various orthodontic appliances[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Korea, 2009.
4. Balenseifen JW, Madonia JV. Study of dental plaque in orthodontic patients. J Dent Res 1970; 49(2):320-4. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345700490022101
5. Al-Khateeb S, Forsberg CM, de Josselin de Jong E, Angmar-Månsson B. A longitudinal laser fluorescence study of white spot lesions in orthodontic patients. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1998;113(6):595-602.
6. Machen DE. Oral hygiene assessment, plaque plaque accumulation, gingival inflammation, decalcification, and caries. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1991;100(1):93-4.
7. Zachrlsson BU. Fluoride application procedures in orthodontic practice, current concepts. Angle Orthod 1975;45(1):72-81.
8. Lundstrom F, Hamp SE, Nyman S. Systematic plaque control in children undergoing long-term orthodontic treatment. Eur J Orthod 1980;2(1):27-39.
9. Brightman LJ, Terezhalmy GT, Greenwell H, Jacobs M, Enlow DH. The effects of a 0.12% chlorhexidine gluconate mouthrinse on orthodontic patients aged 11 through 17 with extablished gingivitis. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1991;100(4):324-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0889- 5406(91)70069-9.
10. Lee KH, Park HK, Kim JH. Effects of oral care with 0.1% chlorhexidine and tantum solution on oral status and incidence of oral pathogens among intubated ICU patients: a pilot study. J Kor Critical Care Nurs 2010;3(2):25-35.
11. Kim JY, Lee SH, Lee NY. Effect of fluoride in natural polymer on enamel demineralization. J Kor Acad Ped Dent 2010;37(1):35-43.
12. Boyd RL. Long-term evaluation of a SnF gel for control of gingivitis and decalcification in adolescent orthodontic patients. Int Dent J 1994;44(1):119-30.
13. Ishihara Y, Tomikawa K, Deguchi T, Honjo T, Suzuki K, Kono T, et al. Interdisciplinary orthodontic treatment for a patient with generalized aggressive periodontitis: assessment of IgG antibodies to identify type of periodontitis and correct timing of treatment. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2015;147(6):766-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2014.09.022
14. Kim JE, Cha BK, Lee NK. A study on the factors associated with treatment compliance in adolescent orthodontic patients. Kor J Orthod 2004;34(2):177-88.
15. Kang YJ. Oral health knowledge and oral hygiene care among some orthodontic patients. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(5):1059-69.
16. Greene JC. Vermillion JR. The simplified oral hygiene index. J Am Dent Assoc 1964;68:7-13.
17. Landry RG, Jean M. Periodontal screening and recording (PSR) index: precursors, utility and limitations in a clinical setting. Int Dent J 2002;52(1):35-40.
18. Bloom RH, Brown LR Jr. A study of the effects of orthodontic appliances on the oral microbial flora. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1964;17:658-67.
19. Gorelick L, Geiger AM, Gwinnett AJ. Incidence of white spot formation after bonding and banding. Am J Orthod 1982;81(2):93-8.
20. Lee HC, Kim EJ, Lee JY, Paik DI, Jin BH. Preventive effect evaluation of fluoride varnish demineralization in orthodontic patients using quantitative light-induced fluorescence (QLF) and scanning electron microscope (SEM). J Kor Res Soc Dent Materials 2015;42(2):83-93.
21. Kim JB, Kim TW, Moon SJ, Kwon HC, Kim SB, Yoo JH. A clinical study on the dental emergency patients of K - country hospital of medical college during recent 8 years. J Korean Assoc Maxillofasial Plastic Reconstructive Surgeons 2001;23(6):523-32.
22. McGlynn FD, LeCompte EJ, Thomas RG, Courts FJ, Melamed BG. Effects of behavioral self- management on oral hygiene adherence among orthodontic patients. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1987;91(1):15-21.
23. Boyd RL, Baumrind S. Periodontal considerations in the use of bonds or bands on molars in adolescents and adults. Angle Orthod 1992;62(2):117-26. https://doi.org/10.1043/0003-3219 (1992)062 <0117:PCITUO>2.0.CO;2
24. Feliu JL. Long-term benefits of orthodontic treatment on oral hygiene. Am J Orthod 1982; 82(6):473-7.
25. Park YC, Hwang CJ, Yu HS, Moon JL. Plaque and gingival inflammation reducing effects of chlorhexidine varuish in orthodontic paticuts. J Kor Dent Assoc 2000;38(8):765-72.
26. Kim MH, Kim BO. A study of the effects of professional oral hygiene care on oral hygiene in orthodontic patients with fixed appliances. Oral Bio Res 1994;18(1):477.
27. Alstad S, Zachrisson BU. Longitudinal study of periodontal condition associated with orthodontic treatment in adolescents. Am J Orthod 1979;76(3):277-86.
28. Yeung SC, Howell S, Fahey P. Oral hygiene program for orthodontic patients. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1989;96(3):208-13.
29. Kim JH, Kang PS, Lee KS. Knowledge and practice levels on oral hygiene management of orthodontic patients with fixed appliances. J Kor Acad Dent Health 2008;32(4):473-84.