Department of Health Science, Graduate School, Chosun University Deparment of dental hygiene, Songwon University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Kyungwoon University2
The purpose of this study was to compare oral symptoms in middle school and high school students of multicultural and ordinary families in Korea. Methods: We used data from the web-based survey of the National 2014 Korean Youth Risk Behavior of Korean Center for Disease Control. A total of 71,174 subjects responded about their father or mother’s Korean nationality. We classified a subject as an adolescent of a multicultural family if aparticipant’s father or mother’s nationality was not Korean. Data was analyzed using SPSS Ver. 19.0. High school students of multicultural families have experienced more oral disease symptoms, compared to high school students of ordinary families. After adjusting general characteristics and oral health behaviors, high school students of multicultural families experienced 1.78 times higher frequency of oral disease symptoms compared to high school students of ordinary families. The family type and age characteristics of adolescents should be considered when establishing policies and institutions targeting adolescents to improve oral health.
1. Lim CY, Oh HW. The relationship between oral health behaviors and periodontal health status of Korea adolescents. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2012;37:65-72. https://doi.org/10.11149/ jkaoh.2013.37.2.65
2. Walls AW, Steele JG, Sheiham A, Marcenes W, Moynihan PJ. Oral health and nutrition in older people. J Public Health Dent 2000;60(4):304-7.
3. Jang KA. School loss due to oral disease and the related factors for a middle schools and high schools in Busan. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2009;9(4):784-94.
4. Ministry of Health and Welfare. Korea National Oral Health Survey 2012[Internet]. [cited 2016 Oct 22]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr
5. Park JH. Subjective oral symptoms between multicultural and ordinary Korean families; Adole-scents. J Korea Cont Soc 2015;15(9):374-83. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.09.374
6. Bae JS. Comparison study on the oral health behaviors of multicultural family adolescents and native family adolescents in Korea. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2014;31(5):71-9. https:// doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2014.31.5.71
7. Ministry of Government Administration and Home Affairs. Status of foreign residents 2014 [Internet]. [cited 2016 Oct 22]. Available from: http://www.mospa.go.kr
8. Statitstics Korea. Multicultural vital statistics 2013[Internet]. [cited 2016 Oct 22]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr
9. Kim HR. Health problem and political subject of multicultural families. Korea Institute Health and Social Affairs 2013;185(15):1-8.
10. Namkoong EJ, Park DY, Jung SH, Ma DS. Oral health literacy of mothers belonging to multi- cultural families in Gangneung City: a case study. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2016;40(2):71-8. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2016.40.2.71
11. Lim CY, Lee HS, Lee NG, Ju HJ, Lee SH, Oh HW. Utilization of dental care among mothers and children from multicultural families. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2014;38(2):111-7. https:// doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2014.38.2.111
12. Lee HL, Lee KH, La JY, Yan SY, Kim YH. Oral health behaviors of mothers and dental caries in children from multicultural families. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 2012;39(3):111-9. https:// doi.org/10.5933/JKAPD.2012.39.2.111
13. Statitstics Korea. Multicultural vital statistics 2013[Internet]. [cited 2016 Oct 22]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr
14. Cho WS, Chun JH, Choi MS, Lee JH, Lee HM, Yi JH, et al. Oral healthcare related characteristics of international marriage migrant women in Gyungsangnam-Do. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2011;35(4):432-40.
15. Locker D. Measuring oral health: A conceptual framework. Community Dental Health 1988; 5(1):5-13.
16. Lee MR, Choi JS. Relationship of self-perceived symptoms of periodontal disease to quality of life in adults. J Den Hyg Sci 2012;12(2):115-21.
17. Park JH. A comparative analysis of oral health behavior in adolescents between multicultural and ordinary Korean families. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(3):505-12. https://doi.org/ 10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.505
18. >Ma JK, Cho MJ. Effect of health behaviors on oral health in Korean adolescents. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2016;40(2):100-4. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2016.40.2.100
19. Park JH, Kim CS. Relationship between health behavior and oral symptoms in Korean adole-scents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(5):813-21. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.813