Department of Health Science, Graduate School, Chosun University Deparment of dental hygiene, Songwon University1
Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine, Chosun University2
The objective of the study was to investigate the use of dental hygiene devices in Korean adolescents. The study subjects were 70,362 adolescents in 800 schools who completed the 2015 Korean Youth Risk Behavior Web-based survey. Dependent variables included usage of dental floss, interdental brushes and mouthwash solutions. Independent variables included demographic characteristics of the subjects, health state and behaviors, and oral health behaviors and experience of oral diseases. Results: The related factors of usage of dental hygiene devices included gender, where females showed higher usage (OR=1.10) compared to males, father and mother’s level of education where usage was higher in above university graduates (OR=1.20, OR=1.14) compared to less than high school graduation, economic status where usage was higherin high and middle (OR=1.93, OR=1.26) compared to low, vigorous physical activity where usage was higher in those who responded yes (OR=1.35) compared to no, subjective weight recognition where usage was higher in normal (OR=1.07) compared to under weight, sleep time where usage was higher in enough (OR=1.12) compared to not enough, number of toothbrushing (day) where usage was higher in 2 times or over 3 times (OR=1.35, OR=1.75) compared to below 1, oral health education experience (OR=1.10), sealant experience (OR=1.17) and scaling experience (OR=1.45) where usage was higher in those who responded yes compared to no, school where usage was lower in high school (OR=0.64) compared to middle school, residential type where usage was lower in rural area (OR=0.74) compared to metropolitan area, living form where usage was lower in other (OR=0.77), compared to with family, smoking (OR=0.93), and alcohol drinking (OR=0.90) where usage was lower in those who engage in the activities compared to those who didn’t , BMI where usage was lower in normal (OR=0.87) and over weight (OR=0.98) compared to under weight.To expand the use of dental hygiene devices in the adolescents, it is necessary to improve the continuing education program for need and motivation of dental hygiene device usage.
1. Gu GM, Kim YH, Kim HJ, Park YN, Park YS, Park JS, et al. Oral health education. 2nd ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2008: 6-24.
2. Kim GB, Kim EJ, Moon HS, Kim JB, Kim DK, Lee HS, et al. Public health dentistry. 4th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2004: 3,75-93.
3. Oh SY, Wang SG. A comparative study on dietary life and nutrition, health behaviors, mental health of adolescent students according to residential type. J Korean Entertain Indus Assoc 2013;7(3):293-305.
4. Lee SJ, Jang JH. The relationship between knowledge, attitude of periodontal disease and dental health behavior in adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(4):814-25.
5. Department of health and human services. National oral health survey data related to in-depth analysis. Seoul: Department of health and human services; 2012: 77-80.
6. Ministry of health welfare. National oral health survey in 2006. Seoul: Ministry of health welfare; 2007: 60,98.
7. Seo EJ, Shin SC, Seo HS, Kim EJ, Jang YS. A survey on Korean’s behavior about the use of oral hygiene devices. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2003;27(2):177-93.
8. Lee KH, Jung ES. Effects of education about dental hygiene devices on their use. J Digit Converge 2015;13(2):245-56. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.245
9. Lee KH. Influential factors for the use of oral hygiene supplies in metropolitan area. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(6):951-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.951
10. Zimmer S, Kolbe C, Kaiser G, Krage T, Ommerborn M, Barthel C. Clinical efficacy of flossing versus use of antimicrobial rinses. J Periodontol 2006;77:1380-5.
11. Arora V, Tangade P, Ravishankar TL, Tirth A, Pal S, Tandon V. Efficacy of dental floss and chlorhexidine mouth rinse as an adjunct to tooth brushing in removing plaque and gingival inflammation-a three way cross over trial. J Clin Diagn Res 2014;8:ZC01-4.
12. Schmid MO, Balmelli OP, Saxer UP. Plaque removing effect of a tooth brush, dental floss and tooth pick. J Clin Periodontology 1976;3(3):157-65. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X1976. tb01863.x
13. Kim JY, Jung GO. The awareness of oral health treatment and use of present in dental patients. J Korean Soc Hyg Sci 2009;15(2):61-70.
14. Lee KH, Jung ES. The influence of subjective awareness of dental health status on the use of dental hygienic devices. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(3):477-86. https://doi.org./10.13065/ jksdh.2015.15.03.477
15. Choi ES, Jeong SR, Cho HA. Factors affecting the use of oral hygiene devices in adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(6):775-85. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.6.775
16. Imai PH, Yu X, MacDonald D. Comparison of interdental brush to dental floss for education of clinical parameters of periodontal disease: a systematic review. Can J Dental Hygiene 2012; 46(1):63-78.
17. Choi ES, Jeong SR, Cho HA. Factors affecting the use of oral hygiene devices in adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(6):775-85.
18. Lee MY, Choi YM, Jung YG, Son JH, Jang SJ. The effects of perceived stress on dietary habits and oral health behaviors in Korean adolescents J Dent Hyg Sci 2013;13(4):440-8.
19. Woo SH. The relations of mothers’ knowledge of and attitudes towards oral health with their children’ attitudes towards oral health[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2000.
20. Lee SY. The association of dietary habits and socioeconomic factors in dental caries in Korean adults: from the 2001 Korean national examination health and nutrition survey. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2010;12(4):349-66.
21. Choi GB. The influence of parents’ knowledge and behavior in oral health upon elementary school students’ behavior in oral health[Master’s thesis]. Gimhae: Univ. of Inje, 2003.
22. Kong MS, Lee HS, Kim SN. Children’s dental health behavior in relation to their mother’s dental health knowledge level. J Korean Acad Dent Health 1994;18(1):84-93.
23. Shim JS, Seong JM. Some of the soldiers oral care products usage and recognition. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(1):166-73.
24. Lee YK, Park JR. The relationship of obesity and periodontal disease by age. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(6):1015-21.
25. Sede MA. Ehizele AO. Relationship between obesity and oral diseases. Niger J Clin Pract 2014;17(6):683-90. https://doi.org./10.4103/1119-3077.144378
26. Lee WJ. Effects of sleep habit on the level of streptoccus mutans in college students. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2013;15(2):115-26.
27. Tae IH, Kim ST, Ahn HJ, Kwon JS, Choi JH. Interaction between pain aspect and sleep quality in patients with temporomandibular disorder. J Oral Med Pain 2008;33(2):205-18.
28. Lim HD, Lee YM. Review about effects of sleep disturbances on burning mouth syndrome. J Oral Med Pain 2013;38(4):313-8.