Department of Dental Hygiene, Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Hanseo University2
Seoul National University Dental Hospital3
Gwangju Mir Dental Hospital4
Chosun University Dental Hospital5
Department of Dental Hygiene, Shingu University6
Department of Dental Hygiene, Honam university7
Objectives: The present study is aimed at comprehending the organizational setup of clinical dental hygienists and to establish an organizational setup that fits their roles. Methods: The survey data of 776 clinical dental hygienists who understood the purpose of the study and agreed to write the questionnaire was utilized. Statistical analysis was performed using SPSS Ver. 20.0 program and the significance level was 0.05. Results: The presence of an organizational setup in dental hygienists was surveyed as being higher, with university dental hospital (89.86%) showing the highest. However, the presence of position terms was highest in dental hospitals with 76 subjects (38.78%). Standards for positions most commonly followed hospital regulations in the case of general hospitals (48.42%), whereas they were often based on service period in the case of dental hospitals (48.90%). Salary standards were most commonly determined by service period in all institutions. The job satisfaction of dental hygienists was significantly different according to social status and financial satisfaction depended on having organizational hierarchy for those who work in university dental hospitals. Conclusions: The results of the present study show that dental hygienists who work in organizational setups mostly enjoy high satisfaction in terms of job satisfaction. In other words, the study shows that systemizing the organizational setup of dental hygienists within dental institutions is required, and additional research to achieve efficient human resource management within the organization is necessary as well as institutional utilization of the results of the present study.
1. Kim JH, Kim HY, Lee SK, Cho YS, Park YD. Public health dentistry: A survey on working conditions and manpower among dental auxiliary personnel in dental clinics. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008;32(4):540-50.
2. Bae EJ. Research on role and job satisfaction of dental hygienists as middle managers of dental hospitals: Based on mir dental hospital network[Master’s thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Keimyung, 2010.
3. Choe EY. Study on the job satisfection and organizational commitment of the dental hygienist [Master’s thesis]. Wonju: Univ. of Yonsei, 2001.
4. Kim ES, Yu SH, Sohn TY, Park EC. Impact of servant leadership perception on job satisfaction, organizational commitment and turnover intention of dental hygienists. Korean J Hosp Manage 2011;16(4):1-16.
5. Choe OH. Organizational development of the nursing department. J Korean Hospital Assoc 1997;26(4):4-12.
6. Choi SH, Cho DY, Hong TH. A study on the relationship between organizational culture, job characteristics and organization citizenship behavior in hospitals. Korean Acad Hum Resour Manag 2006;13(4):191-207.
7. Chun JH, Lee JH, Yoo JY. The Effect of organizational culture types on organizational commitment and organizational citizenship behavior in small and medium hospitals. J Digital Policy & Management 2013;11(7):289-96.
8. Thakor MV, Joshi AW. Motivating salesperson customer orientation: Insights from the job characteristics model. J Business Research 2005;58(5):584-92.
9. Sung YH, Kwak WH, Song GJ, Jung JH, Lee MG. Survey on organizational structure and management function of domestic nursing department. Hospital Nureses Association annual report, 2012.
10. Lee HK, Kim MK, Yim YS. Dental hygienist, the relationship between empowerment and organizational commitment. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(4):645-54.
11. Lee CW. The mediating effect of self-efficacy in the relationship between hospital employee’s job placement and individual performance. J Korea Academia-Ind Coop Soc 2014;15(1):113-21.
12. SYoo EM, Han HJ. A study on the work and turnover of clinical dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(1):41-6.
13. Go EJ, Cho YH, Yoon HS. Relative factors intent to leave for dental hygiensts. Journal of Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2009;9(4):644-58.
14. Korean Health and Medical Workers Union. Reports to health and medical workers. Seoul: Korean Health Medical Workers Union 2010; 5-6.
15. Curry JP, Warefield DS, Price JL, Mueller CW, Mc Closkey JC. Determinants of turnover among nursing department employees. Res Nurs Health 1985;8(2):397-411.
16. Song KH, Kim YJ. A study on the job satisfaction and turnover intention of the dental hygienists and nursing aids. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2013;15(1):1-11.
17. Lee SM, Choi WJ, Han GS, Kim CH. Original article: Influencing factors of turnover intention of dental hygienists using by the path analysis. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(6):941-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.941
18. Park HS, Choi HS. The study on the relation of empowerment of dental hygienists and job satisfaction,immersion in the organization. J Dent Hyg Sci 2005;11(1):175-83.
19. Park IH, Yoo JH, Kim HE, Kim BI, Kwon HK. Public health dentistry: Factors affecting the job satisfaction and the organizational commitment of a employee working for dental institutes in the seoul metropolitan area. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008;32(3):339-49.
20. Cheon HW, Lee HS. Job satisfaction according to the management system of dental auxiliaries- dental hygienist, nurse’s aide, consultant and coordinator, administrative management. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2010;34(1):72-82.
21. Lee SJ, Han KS. Original articles: The ethical propensity, professionalism and ethical job behavior of clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2012;32(3):238-48.
22. Jeong HT. Development of a system dynamics model for the management of the medium and small sized hospitals[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2008.
23. Baek KA. Job stress of dental hygienists and its related factors[Master’s thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Kyungpook National, 2004.
24. Park EJ. Study on job stress and job satisfaction of dental hygienist[Master’s thesis]. Jeonju: Univ. of Chonbuk National, 2003.
25. Lee HY, Ju OJ, Kim YI. An analysis on factors related to the job satisfaction of dental hygienists at J region. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(2):65-72.
26. Oh HS. Effects job satisfaction and job stress on the quality of working life (QWL) of the dental hygienist[Doctoral dissertation]. Iksan: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2009.
27. Kim GY, Chung WG. Impact of human resource management and development on turn over intention of dental hygienist in korean dental settings -focusing on the moderating effect of career commitment. J Korean Acad Oral Health 210;34(4):505-15.
28. Son KO, Kim JG, Kim DG. Survey interpersonal conflict of dental hygienist at work activities. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007;31(S):94-5.
29. Thakor MV, Joshi AW. Motivating salesperson customer orientation: Insights from the job characteristics model. J Business Research 2005;58(5):584-92.
30. Chang YJ, Lee KS, Kim JO. A study on job satisfaction of small & medium hospitals administrators-focusing on hospitals in Gyeongnam province. J Korean Assoc Public Admin 2009;19(1):117-37.