Departments of Dental Hygiene, Choonhae College Of Health Sciences1
Departments of Biomedical Health Science, Graduate School, Dongeui University2
Objectives: The purpose of this research is to examine oral pathogen distribution among elderly with dementia in a care facility to understand the importance of preventively managing oral diseases in terms of preventively managing senile diseases. Methods: From 11th August 2015 to 11th October 2015, gingival crevicular fluid was collected from 130 subjects consisting of demented/non-demented elderly people aged above 65 in care facilities located in the regions of Busan/Gyeonggnam. Based on collected data, real-time PCR analysis on oral pathogen was conducted. Results: The demented elderly group consisting of female patients aged from 0 to 79 indicated higher ratios of
1. Elderly Welfare Act[Enforcement Date 29. April, 2015] [Act No. 13102, 28. Jan, 2015], Partial Amendment Ministry of Health and Welfare, 28.
2. Statistics Korea. 2014 elderly statistics[internet]. Statistics Korea; 2014. Available from: https://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/1/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=330349
3. Oh YH. The health status of older koreans and policy considerations. 3rd ed. Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs; 2013: 29-39.
4. Jo YH. Family caregivers’ needs for a professional help by the symptom level of senile dementia[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yeonsei, 2006.
5. Chalmers J, Johnson V, Tang JH, Titler MG. Evidence-based protocol: Oral hygiene care for functionally dependent and cognitively impaired older adults. J Gerontol Nurs 2004;30:5-12.
6. Muligan R, Navazesh M. Relationship between oral conditions and systemic disease in the elderly, J Dent Res 1992;71:31.
7. Petersen PE. Globl policy for improvement of health in the 21st century-implications to oral health research of World Health Assembly 2007, World Health Orgnization. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2009;37:1-8.
8. Kroes I, Lepp PW, Relman DA. Bacterial diversity within the human subgingival crevice. Proc Natl Acad Sci 1999;96:14547-52.
9. Jung JH, Kim KY, Jeong SH, Kim KS, Lee YM. The effect of oral health behaviors on the periodontal status of teenagers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14:163-71. https://doi.org/ 10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.163
10. Socransky SS, Haffajee AD. The bacterial etiology of destructive periodontal disease-current concepts. J Periodontol 1992;63:22-31.
11. ]Berbari EF, Cockerill FR 3rd, Steckelberg JM. Infective endocarditis due to unusual or fastidious microorganisms. Mayo Clin Proc 1997;72:532-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-6196(11)63302-8
12. ]Scannapieco FA. Role of oral bacteria in respiratory infection. J Periodontol 1999;70:793-802.
13. Offenbacher S, Jared HL, O’Reilly PG, Wells SR, Salvi GE, Lawrence HP, et al. Potential pathogenic mechanisms of periodontitis associated pregnancy complications. Ann Periodontol 1998;3:233-50.
14. Amar S, Han X. The impact of periodontal infection on systemic diseases. Med Sci Monit 2003;9:291-9.
15. Yun JH, Park JE, Kim DI, Lee SI, Choi SH, Jo GS, et al. Identification of putative periodontal pathogens in Korean chronic periodontitis patients. J Periodontal Implant Sci 2008;38:143-52.
16. ]Kim SM, Yang GH, Chio NG, Oh JS, Kang MS. QuantItative deteceion of periodontopathic bacteria using real-time PCR. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 2008; 35:494-503.
17. Kim SM, Yang GH, Chio NG, Oh JS, Kang MS. Periodontopathic bacteria in down’s syndrome. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 2005;32:717-25.
18. Jang JY, Nam YS. Analysis of factors related to the dental caries and periodontal diseases of the elderly. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12:1173-82.
19. Jang HK, Choi EM, Son BS. Oral health of the elderly people receiving nursing care and home care serivces in Chungnam. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15:565-74. https://doi.org/10.13065/ jksdh.2015.15.04.565
20. Fanny E, Martin S, Elena D, Sandra V, Giannelli, Christoph E, et al. Tooth loss, chewing efficiency and cognitive impairment in geriatric patients. Gerodontol 2015;32:149-56. https:// doi.org/10.1111/ger.12079
21. Zambon JJ. Periodontal diseases: microbial factors. Ann Periodontol 1996;1:879-925. https:// doi.org/10.1902/annals.19188.8.131.529
22. Jorm AF, Korten AE, Henderson AS. The prevalence of dementia: a quantitative integration of the literature. Acta Psychiatry Scand 1987;76:465-79.
23. Desrosiers M, Donegan SJ, Yepes JF, Kry-scio RJ. Tooth loss, dementia and neuropathology in the Nun study. J Am Dent Assoc 2007;138:1314-22.
24. Desrosiers M, Donegan SJ, Yepes JF, Kry-scio RJ. Tooth loss, dementia and neuropathology in the Nun study. J Am Dent Assoc 2007;138:1314-22.
25. Desrosiers M, Donegan SJ, Yepes JF, Kry-scio RJ. Tooth loss, dementia and neuropathology in the Nun study. J Am Dent Assoc 2007;138:1314-22.
26. Dzink JL, Tanner AC, Haffajee AD, Socransky SS. Gram negative species associated with active destructive periodontal lesions. J Clin Periodontol 1985;12:648-59.