Department of Dental Hygiene, Shin-han University1
Objectives: I examined the health and oral health status of elderly people living alone compared to elderly people living with their families by using data (2014) from the 6th Two-Year Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Methods: Among 1,454 health survey respondents aged 65 years and over who participated in the 6th Two-Year Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey conducted in 2014, 311 were elderly people living alone and 1,143 were elderly people living with their families. Results: In terms of socio-demographic characteristics, the percentage of elderly people living alone was high especially in women and when the subjects’ age, education level, and income level were low. In terms of oral health status, the percentage of elderly people living alone was high when elderly people thought that their subjectively viewed health was poor and the frequency of drinking and exercise was low. In terms of oral health status, the percentage of elderly people living alone was high among elderly people who did not have good oral health in their subjective view and did not get oral examinations for a year and had a lot of difficulty chewing. Conclusions: Family support or additional social support for elderly people who live alone should be considered to promote the healthy lives of elderly people.
1. Jeong SS, Kim JS. Comparison of health behaviors and health level between elders living alone and those living with a spouse. Global Health Nurs 2014;4(1):27-36.
2. National Statistical Office. The ages statistical database[Internet]. Korean statistical informatin service. [cited 2010 Sep 28]. Available from: http://www.kosis.kr
3. Kim YB, Park JS. The family network and life satisfaction of elderly in South Korea. J Gerontol Soc 2004;24(1):169-85.
4. Kim YJ. Comparison of health habits, perceived stress, depression, and suicidal thinking by gender between elders living alone and those living with others. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2009;16(3):333-44.
5. Kim KB, Lee YJ, Soc SH. A comparative study on health status, depression, and quality of life between the elderly living with family and the elderly living alone. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2008;20(5):765-77.
6. Yoo KS, Park HS. Comparison of health status between senior people living alone and those who live with their families. J Gerontol Soc 2003;23(4):163-79.
7. Kim YS. The study of the impact of the family type on the health promoting behavior and physical and mental health of elderly people. Health and Soc Welfare Rev 2014;34(3):400-29. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2014.34.3.400
8. Sok SH. A comparative study on physical health status, family support, and life satisfaction between the aged living alone and living with family. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2008;19(4):64-74.
9. Yoon MS, Youn HJ. A study on subjective symptoms of a oral malodor in Korean adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8(3):123-9.
10. Ahn KS, Shin MA. Association between oral health status and oral health impact profile (OHIP-14) among the community elderlies. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(6):923-38.
11. Park JY. The impact of health status of for the elderly on oral health-related of life quality. J Digital Convergence 2014;12(5):271-80. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.5.271
12. Choe JY, Kim JH, Kim KY. Dental health determinants of elderly people. J Digital Convergence 2014;12(11):427-35. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.11.427
13. Park JR, Lee YK. Research on the subjective status of oral cavity’s health following senior citizens’ characteristics. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009;9(3):1-14.
14. Kim JG. The impact of family type on health behavior of elderly people. International J Welf Aged 2011;51:35-55.
15. The ministry for health, welfare and family affairs of the republic of Korea. Korea centers for disease control & prevention. Korea national health and nutrition examination survey raw data use guidelines. Seoul: Korea Centers For Disease Control And Prevention; 2014: 3-10.
16. Kang HY, Seo NS, Kim YH. Health pattern of elderly according to age group who living alone in an urban area. J Korean Acad Nurs 2004;34(6):1057-68.
17. Sim MK, Park JM. A study on the physical health status, depression, and health behaviors of the elderly. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2004;15(2):438-49.
18. Kim NH, Kim HD, Han DH, Jin BH, Paik DI. Scientific article: Relationship between perceived oral symptoms and perceived oral health status among the elderly in welfare institutions in Seoul. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2006;30(2):141-50.