Department of Dental Hygiene, Chodang University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Daejeon Health Institute of Technology2
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to investigate the factors affecting medical knowledge and practice of dental treatment for systemic disease among dental health care workers. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was filled out by 222 dental health care workers working in Seoul, Daejeon, Busan, Gyeonggi province, Chungcheong province, and Jeolla province within the period between May 1-June 30, 2016. Knowledge and medical knowledge about the clinical treatment of patients suffering from systemic disease and their practice were composed of items that were corrected, supplemented, and developed by themselves based on previous research. Results: Factors affecting knowledge about clinical treatment of patients suffering from systemic disease were place of employment, treatment about systemic disease, and practice of dental treatment for systemic diseases. Predictive power was 38.5%. Factors affecting practice of clinical treatment of patients suffering from systemic disease were sex, place of employment, treatment about systemic disease, the basic equipment and drugs needed for emergency care, and knowledge of dental treatment for systemic diseases. Predictive power was 39.1%. Conclusions: Dental health care workers’ knowledge and practice of dental treatment of patients suffering from systemic diseases were important factors influencing each other.
1. National Statistical Office. Korea Statistical Yearbook. 55th ed. Daejeon: National Statistical Office; 2013: 1-72.
2. Chong KH, Cho YJ, Oh YH, Byeon JK, Byeon YC, Moon HS. A national wide survey on living condition and welfare need of old ages in 1998. Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs; 1998: 139-200.
3. Hong SM, Jung SH. Oral medicine for the dental hygienist. 1st ed. Seoul: Danhannarae; 2008: 5-14.
4. National Health Insurance Corporation, Medical Service Usage Statistics by Region (Growth compared to 2006) 2006~2014[Internet]. [cited 2016 August 4]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/ statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=350&tblId=TX_35003_A010&conn_path=I3
5. Mealey BL, Moritz AJ. Influence of periodontal infections on systemic health. Periodontol 2000 1999;21:197-209.
6. Kim BO. Considerations for systemic disease in periodontics. Korean J Hist Dent 1995;33(8): 570-8.
7. Chun YH, Auh QS, Hong JP. Interrelationship between the oral disease and the systemic disease to inpatient (I). J Oral Med Pain 2008;33(2):111-20.
8. Yoo SH, Jung SH, Auh QS, Hong JP, Chun YH. The oral disease of inpatient with the systemic disease. J Oral Med Pain 2008;33(1):15-26.
9. Shin JM. Understanding of systemic disease in dental clinic. Korean J Hist Dent 2010;48(1):20-6.
10. Choi SL, Min SK, Choi MK. Retrospective study on prognosis of the medically compromised patients in department of oral and maxillofacial surgery. J Korean Assoc Maxillofac Plast Reconstr Surg 2003;25(5):439-47.
11. The Korean dental society of anesthesiology The korean association of dental hygiene professors. How to manage medical emergencies in dentistry. 1st ed. Seoul: KoonJa; 2010: 177-204.
12. Oh JH, Kwon JS, Ahn HJ, Kang JK, Choi JH. A survey on the perception of the counterplans of medical accident and dispute of dental hygienist. J Oral Med Pain 2007;32(1):9-33.
13. Nam JH. Considerations in dental management and medication for the medically compromised patients. Korean J Hist Dent 2010;48(1):27-37.
14. Kim CH, Shin HJ, Kwon YW, Park JU. Management of the complications occurred in/after dental treatment of the medically compromised patient. Korean J Hist Dent 2010;48(1):38-44.
15. Jung SC, Kim YK, Lee SW. Physical evaluation and treatment modification of dental patient. Korean J Hist Dent 2000;19(7):569-74.
16. Malcolm AL, Vernon JB, Martin SG. Burket’s oral Medicine. 8th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott; 1984: 3-7.
17. Kim YJ, Lim SR. Diffusion of knowledge related to systemic disease among dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(1):9-17. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.1.9
18. Choi HG. A study on the diffusion of knowledge for nursing care of diabetes mellitus among clinical nurses[Master’s thesis]. Jinju: Univ. of Gyeongsang, 2004.
19. Yoon EJ. A study on knowledge and practices about osteoporosis in adults. Korean J Rehabil Nurs 1998;1(2):27-42.
20. Park CY. A study on the relationships between osteoporosis knowledge, health belief, self- efficacy, and bone mineral density of middle aged and elderly women in urban city[Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewha womans, 2002.
21. Kim YS, Kim IY, Park MJ, Shin MW, Lee GA, Lim JM, et al. A study of knowledge and practices about osteoporosis of college woman. Nursing Science - Ewha Womans University 2003;37:110-24.
22. Jeong JN, Moon IO. Hospital employees’ knowledge, recognition and practice on the protection of personal information. J Korean Soc Med Inform 2015;21(1):1-13.
23. Won JH, Park IS. Oral health knowledge and behavior of visiting health care personnel. KAIS 2010;11(7):2459-67.
24. Choi YJ, Kang HK. A study on dental hygienist’ knowledge, awareness and performance of patient’s personal information protection. KAIS 2016;17(2):416-26. https://doi.org/10.5762/ KAIS.2016.17.2.416.
25. Song JS. Impact of dental treatment and systemic disease on oral health-related quality of life in pediatric patients[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul National, 2016.
26. Joo KH, Lee JH, Song JS, Lee HS. Inpatient dental consultations to pediatric dentistry in the Yonsei university severance hospital. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 2014;41(2):145-51. https:// doi.org/10.5933/JKAPD.2014.41.2.125
27. Kim YJ, Kim YJ, Kim JD, Kim OB, Ahn KS, Won YS. Oral Physiology. Seoul: Danhannarae; 2011: 8-9.